Buy in Spain or Transport over from UK?

Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• Buy in Spain or Transport over from UK?

I am increasingly getting the feeling from comments on the forum that it would be more economically to buy things for the new house in the UK and ship them over. What do other feel? People regularly say that Spain is cheap but are we incorrectly confusing cheap food and drink with expensive consumer products?

What should I definately buy in Spain and what should I definately ship over.

I had thought of buying my small electricals in Spain but I am not thinking it may be better to buy my microwave and iron etc in the UK.

PaddyW

Comentario

Paddy, I presume that you're moving to Spain permanently. Bear in mind that anything electrical you bring over will have to have the plugs changed unless you want to use adaptors all the time - not a big job but one extra thing to do at a busy time. Large items of furniture are costly to ship as they are more bulky, and aren't that expensive in Spain.

On the other hand, you're going to have to dispose of all your UK items before you leave if you don't bring them. This is extra hassle and you'll never realise the value of the items in this way.

If you're going to re-purchase all these items the expense largely depends on the quality that you want - as Nobski says there are plenty of cheap goods around.

Why not work out the volume of stuff that you have in the UK, get a quote to ship it, and then balance that against the cost of purchasing new in Spain?

Are there companies in the UK that rent large vans one way? That may be a way of getting things over more cheaply.

No real answers in there, I'm afraid, but hopefully some food for thought.

Chris.

Comentario

With hindsight I and another friend agree that we wish we had bought our major items of furniture in the uk and shipped them over. The same quality in Spain was very expensive, of course you can by "yellow" pine very cheaply or it is often included in the furniture packages of Arco etc.
        However all the white goods, tv etc and kitchen and bathroom stuff is very reasonable in Spain. Spanish bedding is not very good, bring it from home or go to a British bedding shop.

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por Doc
          Paddy, I presume that you're moving to Spain permanently. Bear in mind that anything electrical you bring over will have to have the plugs changed unless you want to use adaptors all the time - not a big job but one extra thing to do at a busy time. Large items of furniture are costly to ship as they are more bulky, and aren't that expensive in Spain.

On the other hand, you're going to have to dispose of all your UK items before you leave if you don't bring them. This is extra hassle and you'll never realise the value of the items in this way.

If you're going to re-purchase all these items the expense largely depends on the quality that you want - as Nobski says there are plenty of cheap goods around.

Why not work out the volume of stuff that you have in the UK, get a quote to ship it, and then balance that against the cost of purchasing new in Spain?

Are there companies in the UK that rent large vans one way? That may be a way of getting things over more cheaply.

No real answers in there, I'm afraid, but hopefully some food for thought.

Chris.
          Doc,

I wish there were but I have not been able to find any van hire companies in the UK willing to do one way rentals to Spain.

Comentario

PaddyW,
            I too have been thinking along the same lines and have had an estimate from our local removal guy who has moved us here in the UK a number of times,he now has a weekly service out to Spain and I thought his estimate was very reasonable.Even taking that into consideration I think I could furnish our place for a lot less than I could if I bought everything over there.
            Obviously it would not be worth sending some things over and when I am over in April I intend to check out the local furniture stores etc and also get some more quotes at this end for shipping stuff out.
            When do you complete??We won't complete until the end of 2005 at the earliest so I feel I have got time to go into the ins and outs of it all.
            Does anyone like me think that curtains and soft furnishings over in Spain are not very good quality and quite a limited choice??Perhaps I have been looking in the wrong places.
            The other plus point of shipping out is you can buy items as funds allow instead of forking out in one fell swoop.
            SUE

Comentario

We left everything in the UK.

We moved here with a car and trailer full, and had the kids metal bunk beds shipped over from the UK.

Everything else we bought here is Spain, better value, better quality, more choice and much better looking furniture.

Possibly the only thing we would have brought from the UK is bedding.

Comentario

Hi, Interesting to read these comments.
                I work for a UK based removals and storage company and we effect removals to and from Spain (as well as everything else !).

Iv noticed that the number of people who take 'everything' has increased ? A few years ago people took the basics and items of sentimental value. Nowadays people are treating it no differently to a normal local house move and take everything.

Id be interested to see what any opinions on this are from any of you who have already relocated. Or, what the reasons are ?
                (and if i could help any of you with a move to or from Spain then pls get in touch)
                Thanks
                matt

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por fesuvious
                  Hi, Interesting to read these comments.
                  I work for a UK based removals and storage company and we effect removals to and from Spain (as well as everything else !).

Iv noticed that the number of people who take 'everything' has increased ? A few years ago people took the basics and items of sentimental value. Nowadays people are treating it no differently to a normal local house move and take everything.

Id be interested to see what any opinions on this are from any of you who have already relocated. Or, what the reasons are ?
                  (and if i could help any of you with a move to or from Spain then pls get in touch)
                  Thanks
                  matt
                  matt i would like to get i touch with you, regarding storage and removal. i am relocating to torrevieja within the next 3 months, and need to store in the uk until i am ready to receive it in spain.
                  you can e mail me at davejames24@hotmail.com.

regards dave

Comentario

Matt,
                    I also wouldn't mind contacting you with regards removals,could you please e-mail me too,at suesupaul@aol.com with your contact details.
                    Thanks,
                    Sue

Comentario

Van rentals

Hi, we too are about to complete and wondering what needs to be purchased in Spain etc. Ex of UK when you said bedding did you mean sheets etc or the matresses?

Comentario

We got our matresses in Spain and they are ok. But I found the pillows were the wrong size for my pillow cases and uncomfortable. The sheets that I did buy in Spain were 50/50 and too hot in the summer, though they dry quickly and the blankets were thin and like felt. Good duvets are more expensive in Spain and if the weather is as cold as it has been recently you need them!!!!! .

Comentario

Comentario

Hi Panda / Elmcroft.

You can get 'British' sized pillows in the bedding shops at La Zenia - Changing Rooms and the one on the corner (I think it's called the Bed Company or something like that).

Chris.

Comentario

Buy in Spain

Is it cheaper to buy your duvets, sheets etc in Spain or UK. I know changing rooms does them and also their is a bedding shop along the N322 that sells english beds etc.

Comentario

Trabajando...
                              X