X
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• Is it properly earthed?

If I use an adaptor on small electrical appliances instead of changing the plug, will it be properly earthed and safe?

If I decide to change the plug on an appliance that uses the 3 wires and needs to be earthed what sort of plug do I buy? Is there something to connect the earth wire to or do you just cut it off?

I really am confused about the electrics.
    PaddyW

Electrics

I would suggest that if you're that unsure you get advice from a competent electrician. You could easily invalidate any insurance you have in the event of an incident.

Comentario

Hi PaddyW.

Spanish plugs are only two-pronged and consequently don't have an earth, and are also not fused. If you use an adaptor you'll have the protection of the fuse in the British three-pronged plug, i.e. if there is a surge, or the appliance short-circuits, the fuse will blow. Without the adaptor you only have the protection that the circuit breaker at the fuse board provides.

With regard to changing the plug to a Spanish type and hence what to do with the earth wire from the appliance I can't offer any advice. I would suggest that if your appliance needs to be earthed, and as you cannot do this with a Spanish plug, that the appliance should not be used without an adaptor.

As rspltd says, perhaps you should seek advice from an electrician.

Light fittings that are wired directly into the system do have an earth.

Chris.

Comentario

There are two types of Spanish Plug, the small 2 pin type for 2 wires that take light loads like radios, shavers, small lamps etc. The large plug does have 2 pins but it also has an earth externally along the side of the plug at the top and bottom.

There are also two types of sockets, ones with a metal earth and ones without the earth.

Only plug big type plugs into the sockets with an earth fitted. The small plugs can go in any socket.

If the appliance has 3 wires use the large type of plug, NEVER cut the earth wire off.

Perry

Comentario

Thanks for that, Perry.

Are the sockets with the earth the ones with the thin metal strip top and bottom?

Chris.

Comentario

Hi Chris,

They are the earthed sockets that the big roundish plugs should go into, you should not plug in an appliance that needs an earth like say an Iron or heater into a socket say beside the bed that does not have the earth strips visable.

Perry

Comentario

Otherwise you may be rather than

Cheers,

Chris.

Comentario

I'm on the builders supply so the power to my home can be a little unpredictable at times! I've kept my television equipment on English plugs plugged into an English adapter which is then plugged onto a Spanish plug. Any surges in power make no difference to my TV but for a lady who lives near me, her's are all on Spanish plugs and she's had to replace her DVD player due to it being damaged by power surges.

HTH

Janette

Comentario

Hi There,

If you are at all concerned about voltage surges then get a surge surpressor strip, they cost around 20 euros, I would advise this for any electronic equipment you have connected to the Spanish supply, TV, Stereo, DVD and definately any computing equipment. Having UK plugs fitted will not prevent a voltage surge from damaging your equipment.
                  As for British plugs, fuses etc. Depending on the age of your house, generally most Spanish homes are fitted with a RCCD or ELCB. This is a device which will trip the electric when the slightest fault occurs, short circuit, even a light bulb blowing can trip them. Hence there is not really a need for fuses for individual appliances, as this device is doing exactly the same but quicker in most cases, so the fuse is really serving no purpose. It is a pain for faultfinding though, as you have to go round the whole house to find what tripped it.
                  One other thing about adaptors, you are just adding another possible problem to your system, change your plugs to the Spanish type as required. I have visited a few homes where the problem has been bad fitting adaptors, they are good for an odd week holidaying but if you are here permanently just change them.

E.G.

Comentario

Many thanks to all those who have responded. I have been given lots of good advice here.
                    PaddyW

Comentario

Trabajando...
                    X