X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• Car Insurance

Hi
    I am after some advise on on car insurance. We are bringing our car over and as i understand it we can stay insured in Spain with our uk based insurance company for 90 days. After this period is over the policy will cease to be valid and i will have to find a company to insure the car in Spain. As the car is a right hand drive i have been told to expect a heavy premium. Does anybody know of insurance companies in Spain which would do a reasonable quote on a R/H drive car as i really want to take it with me when i leave the UK in Feb

Also can anybody pass on their experiences of travelling to Spain by road (the quickest/best route please) and if there i things you may feel i need to look out for on my travels. I have been on some route planner sites and they all give different ways!

CHEERS FOLKS

We went back to collect our dog a couple of years ago and coming back we travelled on the 4 hour ferry from Poole to Cherbourg. Stayed at a Campomille motel overnight then travelled down thru France to Bayonne near Bordeaux and stayed in Ibis motel. Came thru San Sebastian, Pamplona, Zarragoza, Teruel, Segundo and down on the coast from there. Took 2 full days. Very nice thru the Pyranees from San Sebastian. Not a stressful journey at all. Other alternative is thru Channel Tunnel and down thru France to Toulouse and cross into Spain and drive the whole A7 route via Barcelona. Good Luck.

Comentario

Hi Bluenose,
      There are several companies that will insure right hand drive cars, but be careful about bringing a UK registered car to Spain. It will only be legal on UK plates for six months and then you should import it into the country legally and re-register it on Spanish plates. This will cost a proportion of the value of the car and then you have a car that is worth virtually nothing. Not to mention the times when you are driving alone and have to get out of the car at the toll booth or the carpark to get your ticket or pay your money.
      Anyway, plenty of people do bring their UK registered cars and use them for years, so there are always two sides to every story.

Best wishes

Comentario

Comentario

Cost of ferry

Don
          What did the ferry and cabins etc cost you?
          PaddyW

Comentario

Hi PaddyW,
            The prices vary according to time of year etc, if you check out the following website entering the dates you have in mind:

http://www.aferry.co.uk/p-and-o-ferr...OVERTUREUKPOFE

Hope this answers your queery

Don

Comentario

Does anybody know how much it costs to re-register the car to Spanish plates?

Comentario

I am told that you can not get fully-comprehensive insurance in Spain on any car that is over 10 years old. Does anyone know if that information is correct please? If so, what do the owners of classic cars do about it?

Comentario

Hi all,

Nice one Reddragon!

I will be coming out for good this year in May (I hope) and I will be getting a new-ish LHD once there but I will also be bringing my pride and joy a red 1976 MGB Tourer Convertable RHD.

Will I have a problem with insuring this on a full comprehensive policy!! if any one can help please advise !!

Over here I am always putting the hood Up and down Up and down ... Looking forward to leaving it down for good!

Regards,

Dave D.

Comentario

Hi, Dave, let's ask again, shall we?
                    Any information please on car insurance in Spain on vehicles over ten years old?
                    Were you also thinking of changing the MGB to Spanish plates, Dave?

Comentario

Hi Reddragon,

Happy New Year mate!

Yes! I will change the MGB plates over after I get set up but because it seems so difficult I may make enquries from some of the people who advertise in the Costa blanca News - saying they will do it all for you !! at a price of course!!

Is there anybody else who has an old sports car or classic and do they belong to any clubs, groups etc !! or should I start one ?

Regards,

Dave D.

Comentario

There is, I think, some sort of classic car club based in Orihuela town: I have read something about them in the CBN. See also www.clubrutadelsol.com based in Murcia somewhere.

Comentario

As i understand from my insurance broker in the uk.The third party insurance is valid for the whole of the EEC,not just Spain for the life of the policy.It does not run out after 90 days.

Comentario

Apart from the route and Ferry this is a minefield.
                            Firstly your UK Insurance should cover you for the life of the policy while in the EEC, but, and it is a big but, your policy will nor be valid the moment you no longer have a UK Postcode.
                            Getting Insurance over here through a broker is very easy but how good it is only a claim will tell which is a bit late. A friend of mine had an accident with a bus in Madrid and his claim was met in full and they even got his excess out of the bus company. I have heard from others with the same firm who had endless problems due inexperience of staff.
                            Re-registering is another convulated thing. I did this 3 years ago through a solicitor and it was relatively cheap and took about 9 days. Costs vary as to the Spanish decreed value of the car decided what rate it will be. Get an export certificate from the DVLC, you will have to send away your log book. It is best to get a solicitor to do it for you, also in Torrevieja there is an office opposite the ITV with TUV signed above it who will also give you assistance and advice. He also has an in with the ITV people and can explain what is required.
                            I know the MGB is a classic and if you are keeping it as such then go for it, otherwise I would not bother as you end up with a RHD car in a LHD country. I have just sold my car, a 97 Citroen XM which was verging on being a rare sought after vehicle but not in this area. I virtually gave it away.

Comentario

Hi all,

Sorry to you Bluenose - We seem to have gone off track !!

But thanks to all the others - Your remarks have been noted but I will wait until I come out and then take a further advise.

Regards,

Dave D

Comentario

Trabajando...
                              X