Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• Easyjet and Bicycles

Easyjet allows passengers to carry sports equipment as additional baggage. They allow passengers to bring their bicycle provided it is a bicycle box at no extra charge.

Does anyone have any experience of taking a bike on an Easyjet flight? The boxes that come with bikes are pretty flimsy and would not offer any protection. I was wondering how Easyjet handles bikes. Do they handle them with care or do they get thrown about. It does not take much abuse to end up with a buckled wheel.

I would be interested to hear anybodys experience and whether their bike was in one piece when they retrieved it after the flight.
    PaddyW

My experience with easy jet, no problem the bike arrived with no damage.

Comentario

Hi
      We also used Easyjet to transport of bicycles, we removed the wheels, let the tyres down slightly, and then we wrapped them in bubble wrap. Bo problems they arrived safe and sound.
      Barbie

Comentario

What did you do with the wheels when you removed them? How did you get them to Spain?
        PaddyW

Comentario

Fortunately Easyjet have little to do with the baggage handling - it's usually handled by service agents such as Servisair. of their behalf - otherwise you could expect to get the same treatment as the pasengers do! Provided you have taken care the handlers seem to as well.

Comentario

Hi Paddy W
            Sorry, I did not explain very well, we removed the wheels and cable tied them to the frame, before wrapping in bubble wrap.
            Barbie

Comentario

Sorry to labour this one. Why did you disconnect the cables? I presume you tied the bubble wrapped wheels to the centre of the frame above the pedals? Did taking the wheels of not make the forks vulnerable? Did you then have to put the bicycle in a bicycle box before the airline would accept it?
              When you got to Spain how did you collect the bicycle - was it simply put on the baggage belt or was there special arrangements for picking it up?
              Finally, did you have to prearrange that you would be taking a bike on the plane?
              Sorry for hitting you with lots of questions but I want to take some bikes shortly and I want to research the issue thoroughly beforehand.
              PaddyW

Comentario

Easy Jet and bicycles

Dear Paddy W,
                If you are transporting a bicycle by air I would strongly reccomend that you buy a quality bike box, and front and rear fork spacers.
                Old front and rear hubs can be used instead of the fork spacers at a push.
                Wheels, saddle and pedals need to be removed and usually (for road bikes anyway) the handlebars need to be loosened so that they can be turned to run parrallel with the front fork.
                It is strongly recommended that the entire frame be wrapped in foam polyurethane pipe wrap and that the loose part of the chain be tied.
                Bubblewap and/or foam polyurethane can be used for further protection of the frame.
                It is also a good idea to fill the voids in the box with cycle clothing ( a gfood idea is to wrap the pedals and saddle in these), helmet and cycle shoes etc.
                As far as I know it is compulsory to wear a helmet whilst riding a bike in Spain. When I was in Majorca two years ago I was warned that if I was caught cycling a bike without a helmet the local police would detain me in a prison cell until I was charged and paid the fine.
                Regards, Dermot Sheehy.

Comentario

Thanks Dermot
                  Can you clarify about the bike box. What is a good quality box? I thought that bikes came in a loose fitting cardboard box. I never realised that there were different qualities of box and that you could buy them.
                  Also, what are the fork spacers you refer to. I never heard of them before.
                  PaddyW

Comentario

I still find it difficult to contemplate bringing my bike on the plane. After watching the state of baggage after it is unloaded I have visions of bikes in the aircraft hole with loads of suitcases piled on top of them. Am I worrying unnecessarily?
                    PaddyW

Comentario

Comentario

Comentario

I solved the problem of getting hold of a bicycle box. There is a shop near me that sells expensive bicycles which they import. The bicycles come in very strong boxes to prevent them being damaged. The shop assembles the bicycles them before sale.

I simply asked the manager for two empty boxes and he was more than happy for me to take them off his hands at no cost.

I did a search on Google and found a website that explains in detail how to pack a bike for shipment.

It is very satisfying when you can find a solution to a problem without it costing an arm and a leg.

PaddyW

Comentario

Trabajando...
                          X