Thread: Advice needed on bringing my car and cats to Algorfa !!

Default Advice needed on bringing my car and cats to Algorfa !!

Hello everyone - I am looking for some good advice on several things. We bought our house at Lo Crispin Algorfa two years ago, and have enjoyed many holidays there. The time has now arrived when we move out for good - 18 more get ups for work left for me, and only nine for my hubbie!! I am buying a new car here in the uk for export, and need someone reliable to transport it to Spain (I dont fancy driving it down!!). I also need to source some good insurance as it will initially be on temporary UK export plates until I can get it registered in Spain. Second question - we have two persian cats. They now have pet passports ready to travel. Can anyone give us any advice on flying cats - we think we will travel Luton to Alicante, and more important , can anyone recommend a good vets for cats in the Algorfa area.

Amanda and John

Animalcouriers.com convey via road. I got a quote for my cat £150 plus vat. They transport pet animals in their customised vehicle, travelling I think they said once or twice a month. Your pets would have their own accommodation, a travel cage, bed and food bowls. The journey takes around three days from the UK to most parts of Spain. The latter part was copied from an email they sent me. We decided in the end to rehome our cat, but hubby is driving down with our dog and belongings! Flying I have been told is very very expensive.

Thankyou for that. I need to find out how expensive . the trouble is neither of mine travel well and three days seems to be too long, hence why I thought a few hours sedated on a plane would be better for them.

Amanda,

Consider buying your new car here in Spain. It costs you a proportion of the value of the car to re-register onto Spanish plates and if your car is brand new it could be really expensive. Better to hire a car here for a few weeks when you arrive until you can buy a new Spanish one. That way, you won't pay twice.

Just make sure you don't try and do anything in August when nearly everywhere will be closed.

Good luck

Much better to buy a spanish car.
    I flew a cat over which cost about 45 quid via British Airways four years ago. They charged it as excess baggage. Charter flights usually won“t accept animals. Best to phone a few airlines and get quotes. I had to give exact weight and measurements of cat carrier when booking. They keep the pets in a warmer airier part of the hold. Mine didn“t seem at all distressed by it. At least it“s over quickly if you fly. Also check the latest rulings from the DEFRA site.

Thanks guys for the advice. I got a quote from Monarch today. £439 for two large cats in one medium cage(Including Cage delivered to my home address). Oh well - They are worth it. As far as the car goes - I have bought a LHD Mini which is being built now for export - hence no car tax or VAT payable in the UK. It comes on temp export plates but must be re-registered in Spain within six months when I have to pay Spanish tax instead. Thanks for the good advice about August - I had forgotten that everything closes - looks like we had better aim for July - oh what a shame!!!

Just been reading the posts. As a matter of interest, vets etc say never to sedate a cat when they are to fly. Airlines will not take them if they are sedated.

Marcadores