Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• Torrevieja/cafe/bar

My partner and I are hoping to open a small cafe/bar/Giftshop in the Torrevieja area. Any advice on this subject will be very helpful.Especially from people already doing this or in the process of doing so.

Don't want to put a downer on your idea but I would look into it very very very deeply if I were you. I have seen so many people try this and most close within 12 months. There is an awful lot of red tape and expense involved in setting up and then of course so much competition for business when you do eventually open. If you have loads of money and want to do for a hobby then great, if it's going to be your living I'd try something else if I were you.

Comentario

Have you run a bar?

Thanks for reply can I ask if you have ever run such a bar?

Comentario

No I haven't.

I have however lived here for 6 years and have seen many friends end up returning to the UK penniless because of their failed enterprises.

I am not saying don't do it but please be very careful and research everything before taking the plunge.

Comentario

cafe/bar

Why do you think this happened? Wrong location maybe? Surely there must be someone out there who can be posative about opening a cafe/bar or retail gift shop?

Comentario

Sorry but I have to agree I would say your chances of breaking even are almost nil. To many trying to do the same not enough customers. Come out and see for yourself.

Comentario

cafe/bar

Hi guys thanks for your respones can I ask what you do for a living? What are the chances of a gift shop working?

Comentario

gift shop

there are so many shops (and street markets) along similar lines to our 'pound shops' - all selling products at such low prices it is hard to believe they can make a profit. I would recommend spending some time in the town and see if you can find a gap in the market and brush up on your spanish to deal with the authorities.
                Good luck with whatever venture you decide upon.

Comentario

caf/bar/gift shop

Hi thanks for your reply! It all seems very off putting really!!!! There must be someone in this forum who runs/or has just opened such a venture after moving to Spain? I have a shop now in the UK bussiness is really bad rents are very high, can it be worse in Spain!!!????

Comentario

Short answer YES

Comentario

Or even shorter answer Si

Comentario

si

Yes but, surely as I said not all are running at a loss! We don't intend to become rich running one!! Just something to do pay our way and earn a little pocket money really. I suppose you are all retired? We are not going to rush into it, we intended to have a good look round first and a break from all work. See somthing of Spain and travel a little. Also though of running a market stall on the odd day!! Are you going to tell me that is very difficult too?

Comentario

It depends which market you are thinking of. Torrevieja's on a Friday morning is the second biggest market in the whole of Spain! It is HUGE! THEREFORE you'd have as much competition at that market as you would have in the town of Torrevieja.
                          I agree with previous posters and no, I'm not retired and no, I have never tried to set up a gift shop in a place with more dirt cheap shops (lots owned by Chinese) than one can shake a stick at - basically because I've got more sense!
                          Given that technology is miles behind the UK, I'd say at least 2 years in most cases, I would say the opportunities lie in Website Design; Programming; etc.

Comentario

Cafe/bar

Originalmente publicado por Alyson
                            It depends which market you are thinking of. Torrevieja's on a Friday morning is the second biggest market in the whole of Spain! It is HUGE! THEREFORE you'd have as much competition at that market as you would have in the town of Torrevieja.
                            I agree with previous posters and no, I'm not retired and no, I have never tried to set up a gift shop in a place with more dirt cheap shops (lots owned by Chinese) than one can shake a stick at - basically because I've got more sense!
                            Given that technology is miles behind the UK, I'd say at least 2 years in most cases, I would say the opportunities lie in Website Design; Programming; etc.
                            Hi Alyson
                            Have you moved out to Torreieja yet? I am going looking again on 5th November. I think a cafe/bar should work in the right location as everyone needs a drink/bite to eat!!
                            I've looked round La Mata area it looks really nice there, but the apartments I've seen are tiny so far.

Comentario

Hi Flanny,
                              I will need to go back to complete but I've come back to Edinburgh expecting my remortgage to release the funds for Spain to be through - or just about - to find that there has been a cock-up with it in my absence! Now I don't have a definite idea of when I'll be going back.
                              Yeah, a Spanish guy who owns a wooden cafe in the wee Plaza with the wee Torre in La Mata, took me to see a flat a couple of streets back from the beach. It belongs to a woman (I realised from the stuff in the apartment) friend of his who has gone to Madrid.
                              The apartment itself was miniscule but it had 2 garage spaces in the basement and a store room down there so he - or she - wanted 108,000.00Euros for it.
                              The 2-bedroomed one I am buying is about the same size as the 2-bedroomed one in the English part of Torrevieja - I think its the north end - I went out to see and didn't want because it's a dump in a dump of an area.
                              It had been 110,000.00 Euros and the vastly superior one in La Mata is 112,000.00 Euros but that is a reduced price. It was actually 118,000.00Euros.

Comentario

Trabajando...
                              X