Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• Wi Fi Access. How safe is it?

Please can anyone advise me? I have an iphone4 and if I access the internet when I am on holiday in Spain, then I pay 'roaming' charges which is very expensive. So the alternative would be to use free Wi-Fi access points in restaurants and shopping centres etc. For some of these you need to ask for the password but some are completely open. How safe is it to log into any of these points? I have read horror stories about others being able to lock into your phone and download your lists of contacts or perhaps even worse. I have a keycode to access my phone but once this is keyed in, does that mean my phone is open to the air or would anyone still need my keycose to access my data? Sorry about the long question but thanks in advance for any advice.

To be honest I would have thought you are better off posting this interesting question on one of the computer geek sites where there is probably much more knowledge available.

Comentario

I use my IP over there all the time, never had any problems.

If you walk around you will be suprised how many unsecured networks there are....

Calle Ramon Gallud usually has a few, athough none on the front last time I went.

Just ask for code etc in bar shouldn't be any probs. No more at risk over there as over here.

(hubby works in networks and he uses his too)

Comentario

Provided the wireless network is secured, preferably with a "strong" pass-phrase, the risk is no different to using your own wireless connection in the UK. Just make sure you have a decent firewall on your PC/Mac/Linux box, and you keep an eye on the pages you are visiting. As far as I am concerned, those people who fail to secure their wireless connections are doing two things. One is allowing me, and people like me who have no malicious intent to borrow time on their broadband connection and the other, of greater concern, is allowing hackers, spammers and those who wish to cover their tracks easy internet access. If I remember correctly, either the Ayuntamiento or some other official body hosts an open WiFi network in Torrevieja. I would certainly hope that these networks are well firewalled and traffic monitored!

Comentario

If the wireless is secured then I don't think you will have much problem. But normally they are free to use so may also download some viruses. So you must take proper measures for this.

Comentario

Trabajando...
          X