Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• Orihuela Costa - Development Hell

I live in Orihuela Costa and am fed up with the malfeasance of the ruling Partido Popular.

I have made a video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSO31QJwKGQ

I would appreciate any feedback and thoughts.

we bought our villa, resale, close to la zenia beach and love the area, but, I have to say I think we walked through the area depicted in the video during the summer having had a meal at the via park complex. It was dark and I felt really uncomfortable, the buildings seemed derelict and there were a few shady characters hanging about. I would never put myself or my family through the experience again, we live and learn !

Comentario

Please, you tell me that you have a property on Orihuela costa. How long was this ago? This has been going on for years now( at least 6 years)! This is definately NOT my area. You must have seen it when you bought there. This is a purely commercial area! Urbanisation against each other. And don't blame the building companies! You, the client just ask for this! Gathering together building up an English society in Spain unders the sun.
      Not willing to live in a Spanish environment because of the language. So don't blame the constructors, they only respond to the needs of the clients! What you show on your tube film are building sites. What do you think that building sites look like in whatever country???? Do you think that building sites in Turkey look different? I think they look even worse. Think before you judge!!!

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por jaritex
        Please, you tell me that you have a property on Orihuela costa. How long was this ago? This has been going on for years now( at least 6 years)! This is definately NOT my area. You must have seen it when you bought there. This is a purely commercial area! Urbanisation against each other. And don't blame the building companies! You, the client just ask for this! Gathering together building up an English society in Spain unders the sun.
        Not willing to live in a Spanish environment because of the language. So don't blame the constructors, they only respond to the needs of the clients! What you show on your tube film are building sites. What do you think that building sites look like in whatever country???? Do you think that building sites in Turkey look different? I think they look even worse. Think before you judge!!!
        The building sites shown on the video are to emphasise the overdevelopment of the area as a whole. But, much of the footage is not building sites, but land that is being abused by the developers through illegal dumping. I am perfectly aware that this area is a commercial one, and predominantly British. However, this is no excuse for bad planning, poor services (that are paid for by taxpayers like myself), dubious practices by developers (and there are many) and persistence by those in power to continue to build in this haphazard fashion with no regard for the environment or sustainability. The developers are NOT responding to clients' needs. No-one is buying these new properties. Many lie empty, from new, for several years. In Valencia alone, there are at least 300,000 empty properties. Why has MASA now gone to Bulgaria? Why has LLanera gone into liquidation?

The councillor for planning said recently to the press, following the announcement of 2,500 further new homes at Villamartin that 'the town must grow'. I would like to know where the town is? A town has basic services, such as a sports centre, a fully functioning town hall, a civic centre that is open to all, library, a culture centre, the list goes on. It is not development that is the issue. It is the way it is done. If they were to build a town, I would applaud it. But I fear this council is interested only in getting rich quickly from selling lucrative building licences without any thought to the long term affects. Chimpanzees would do a better job at civic planning. This council also knows that it will not be in power in four years time, and my greatest concern is the damage they can now do in the three years left before the next election. I agree that many British people do not learn Spanish nor want to integrate. But not all British people are the same. There are British people who have a great concern for the environment and climate, and wish to protect Spain, not for themselves, but for future generations and for all the nationalities that live here. These are the same British people who read the Spanish newspapers, who talk with Spanish people, who take part in protests to save green space such as Cala Mosca, and who challenge what they see as blatant corruption.

Before any further building is done, it is the council's duty to put right the damage done so far, to resurface roads, to renew the sewage system, to tackle unfinished urbanisations, to fine builders who dump illegally, and to provide basic services enjoyed by towns throughout Europe. Sure, building sites look the same everywhere. But the story behind the building sites shown in the video is not a happy one, and people need to be dissuaded from buying new-build properties here.

Comentario

Good for you, Puffin, you tell her!

Comentario

I have just viewed the video and must say that I agree, in principle, with the point of view expressed.

However Orihuela Costa is not all bad.

I have been saying for years that buidling should slow down or stop.

I thought that the corruption investigations were on the way here?

A well organised ex pat campaign could help bring about change.

Comentario

True, Orihuela Costa isn't all bad, but nothing good can be said of the administration. The costa is overlooked by the town hall, there is no investment in the infrastructure, with so many roads in disrepair, flooding every time it rains, illegal dumping going unpunished. One only needs to look around to see it is an area in neglect.

As for the corruption charges brought against the ex-major. There has been nothing in the local newspapers for a while, so I don't have much of an idea on how that is progressing.

An ex-pat campaign is a very good idea but the main obstacle is apathy. So many foreigners come over here for an 'easy life' and it is difficult to motivate people to protest. From what I read in the local press there doesn't seem to be any united opposition to the Partido Popular, with Claro, PSOE and Los Verdes all protesting independently. There needs to be solidarity across the political spectrum. If this doesn't happen then these three parties could split the coastal vote at the next election allowing the PP to hold onto power. This would be a disaster. Would anybody out there like to start a cross-party campaigning group?

Comentario

Puffin, I must say that you don't look around. They are going to broaden the N332 for your convenience. And I know that they are doing their best to fill in all the needs. Only it is such a major job to fulfill everybody's needs. This area has grown too fast to control because spanish people can't think that fast. The other thing is that there are not enough people signing up to the padron which give them not enough money to carry out the jobs they should do! It is a holiday area and people are not aware of the problems which permanent people experience. I am in favor of signing up into the padron which means more security, more money to improve the area and more safety for either the holiday makers as the permanent living ones. Like I told you before it isn't my cup of tea and we as emigrants don't have the right to change the way Spain is dealing with their issues. we are here because we want to be here and enjoy the lifestyle. Keep low-profile and enjoy your way of life! The rest will follow. I am sure. No politician is eager to loose his face! They do all the best they can with the means they have. Believe me!

Comentario

Jaritex, you surprise me. I've yet to meet an ex-pat holding a defensive stance for the ruling PP party in Orihuela Costa.

Let me respond to some of your points, and then perhaps you would be so kind in responding to my questions.

Firstly, I read in the local press that the money for the expansion of the N332 is coming from Madrid and is therefore not locally funded. It would appear that improvements that are planned are for a double laned road and little else. The local benefits are for motorists solely, yet will put local pedestrians at a disadvantage.

Secondly, you must be aware of the problems that local residents have faced in trying to sign on to the padron. Many residents still don't have the deeds to their houses due to malpractice by developers meaning they are unable to get on the padron. You must also be aware of the hundreds of people who were disenfranchised at the last election due to a town hall postal cock-up. This caused a lot of suspicion towards the PP, who knew there was very little support for them on the coast.

Stating that the Spanish authorities 'can't think that fast' seems rather condescending, in my opinion. The crux of my video is about improving the lives of residents in Orihuela Costa, not just ex-pat communities but Spanish nationals and foreigners alike. As a person who is contributing to the Spanish tax system, I think I have every right in addressing these local issues. There is nothing in my video that favours an 'Anglicanisation' of the region.

I can't see how any reasonably minded person can disagree with the main thrust of my video which is to improve the services and community of those living in Orihuela Costa, through stemming the tide of over development. So perhaps you would like to answer the following questions:

1. Do you believe that development in Orihuela Costa should continue unabated?
                  2. Do you agree that there should be no protected green spaces in Orihuela Costa?
                  3. Do you believe the town hall should do more in combatting illegal construction dumping, through either fines or the withdrawal of licences?
                  4. Do you believe that corruption doesn't exist within the ruling Partido Poular?

I look forward to your response.

Comentario

2. Do you agree that there should be no protected green spaces in Orihuela Costa?
                    3. Do you believe the town hall should do more in combatting illegal construction dumping, through either fines or the withdrawal of licences?
                    4. Do you believe that corruption doesn't exist within the ruling Partido Poular?

Dear Puffin, first of all I am not an ex-pat and I am not in politics. I don't follow the politics here in Spain. But we are in the "bussiness" so I speak from this point of view. I can take you to many places were there are plenty of green spaces but they don't lie at the coast and for some reason people want to be near the sea! And that's the result of all gathering together along the coastline. We live on the outskirts of Torrevieja and we have no plans of staying here. We only live in Torrevieja for practical reasons (children) but as soon as we can we will definately move to greener areas. You cannot have it all. But if you feel the need of doing something about it, be my guest! I don't know if the Spanish are interested in all of this but you can always try. Corruption in Spain is everywhere. It is in their culture and history. Spanish people have been thieves for centuries. You don't change this in a few years!
                    I reacted on your post because I don't like all the negative publicity because this influences our bussiness. I only try to survive and protect our life in Spain!

Comentario

I have a house in Villa Martin that we use for holidays and we have always had a great time.

However I am always concerned at the sever lack of thinking that has gone into making these residential areas. There is no infrastructure planning whatsoever!

To try and hide behind the fact that it has grown too quickly does not wash I am afraid, they manage to put them up quick enough! I see loads of 12-18 year olds hanging around on street corners smoking, drinking, riding their scooters beacsue they are so so bored. I can't remember the last time I noticed a football pitch, cycle path are 'green ' area for residents? This will lead to big problems in the future.

However at the end of the day you pay your money and you take your chance I guess! I only know that I would no way try and bring my kids up in these areas.

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por jaritex

Dear Puffin, first of all I am not an ex-pat and I am not in politics. I don't follow the politics here in Spain. But we are in the "bussiness" so I speak from this point of view. I can take you to many places were there are plenty of green spaces but they don't lie at the coast and for some reason people want to be near the sea! And that's the result of all gathering together along the coastline. We live on the outskirts of Torrevieja and we have no plans of staying here. We only live in Torrevieja for practical reasons (children) but as soon as we can we will definately move to greener areas. You cannot have it all. But if you feel the need of doing something about it, be my guest! I don't know if the Spanish are interested in all of this but you can always try. Corruption in Spain is everywhere. It is in their culture and history. Spanish people have been thieves for centuries. You don't change this in a few years!
                        I reacted on your post because I don't like all the negative publicity because this influences our bussiness. I only try to survive and protect our life in Spain!
                        I'm not sure that Jaritex knows what an ex-pat is, Puffin.
                        She and her husband are Belgian and live in Spain. I should have thought that makes her an ex-pat!

Comentario

I am sorry I was mistaken. I know what an ex-pat means. Only I think about ex-pats as british ex-pats because they have a magazine with that name. I am aslo an ex-pat but from my home country which is Belgium!

Comentario

I agree with you Gentleone.

Far too many parents move over to Spain without a thought for their teenagers well-being. There are no facilities for young people in Orihuela Costa, nor is there a decent bus service linking the area to facilities in Orihuela Costa. The result, as you say, is bored teenagers hanging around, smoking fags and getting drunk and causing a menace to local residents. There is also a lot of vandalism with newly planted trees being ripped up. In a way, the teenagers can't be blamed, as the parents should take full responsibility. But a lot of these parents are negligent, preferring to let their kids get up to whatever they like, while spending all their time sitting in bars all day. Of course, if there was a youth club, or sports facilties as you suggest, these problems may get better. Again, it is the council who is to blame.

As for Jaritex, if you take no part in local politics, perhaps you should refrain from commenting on political issues. I think it is irresponsible of you to take a defensive stance just because you feel important issues such as over-development and illegal dumping impact on your business through negative publicity. You views stem from a desire for personal gain, whereas my video is a protest to benefit the lives of everyone, not just myself.

Comentario

I've just came back from Spain & have a place on the road shown at the end of the video - it rained a lot & I couldn't believe the flooding down that road, it obviously didn't occur to some complete numpty to put DRAINS in!

Also due to the new'ish shortcut further down that road, on the corner before Carrefore, we now have every car in PF area tearing down there to save a few seconds off their journey by avoiding a couple of hundred yards of the N332 - the road noise level has gone up 10 fold in a few months!

Those 2 new commercial centres are mostly empty but they're still going hell for leather at them, dozens more apartment blocks on zenimar have now started despite being unsold!

But theres nothing you can do about it as no builder or politician gives a toss about their own country unless theres a euro to line their pockets with!

From another totally disillusioned property buyer in spain!

Comentario

Trabajando...
                              X