Anuncio

Colapsar
No hay anuncio todavía.

torrevieja,??? the positives, advice please.

Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• torrevieja,??? the positives, advice please.

hi all, could anyone please help with queries on torrevieja?? we have travelled around spain quite a bit to get a true feel before we buy, porto banus? no thank you very much. marbella the same, santa polo, no, the harbour and port around torre, is lovely, well it was the last time we were there, but, well i,ll come straight out with it, i keep hearing such negative comments.

the first time we stayed on a complex i could,nt believe the pettyminded ness of the people we met, the second time we stopped at a friends apartment in the may, --one year-- around the pool the spanish were moaning about the kids laughing in the pool,--siesta?-- the local pub was full of people iether posing or back stabbing, i accept the pension might not have been what it was but there was not one isolated incident.

my wife and i are just looking for a decent environment to spend a few weeks--months of the year-- i cant abide the thought of moving in amongst a load of nit pickers, lifes to short, we are looking at a lot of very nice properties that would suit us ideally, ground floor, two beds, communal pool, commen sense tells me not to go too small a complex, dont fancy something too big.

then theres the outside comments, go to el compello, and the brits say, ohh god, torrevieja??? dont go there??? why not, then we hear about the robberies, even germans moving out because of being gassed??? true, ? or gossip?.

ideally i could do with a couple of "friendsguide" to guide us about, north along the sea front? out amongst the salt lakes? then of corse some advice on good urbanisations or bad.

all advice would be most welcome, i do hope i hav,nt offended anyone by raising these issues, in denia we stopped in a beautifull villa, on a small site, couldnt understand why no one used the pool, till a kindly nieghbour started filling us in on the residents, no one used the pool because they all had beefs with each other, one family didnt have there kids visit anymore because of complaints, its a english disease i know but i dont want it full on, as i say, lifes too short. thank you all. tom.

Find a place in a Spanish village (pueblo) or in town not an urb

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por pickers Ver Mensaje
      Find a place in a Spanish village (pueblo) or in town not an urb
      hi and thank you pickers but no thanks, i like the spanish but dont wish to live amongst too much, i felt that at santa polo. also i have to think of my kids and grandkids, i know of people who have bought iether too far out or on sites that they thought were right, the kids come out once then never again. maybe you might think i am asking the impossible, just a nice development with the right quantity of houses, 60--160?? where people iether get on with there own thing say hello or have a barbie, a pool, and within walking distance from the town, is that a lot to ask?. cheers tom.

Comentario

Unfortunately I think you are trying to achive the impossible. I don't understand that you don't want to live among the Spanish (why come to Spain) but the best of luck in your search.

Comentario

We bought an apartment in Punta Marina to the south of Torrevieja in 2006 and have been coming here for three or four times a year ever since. We overheard a lady in a bar saying how she wanted to get back to Marbella, so in her opinion it isn't as good as Marbella. However, we find Torrevieja is a nice, working Spanish town, that isn't totally overcome by tourism. My wife speaks enough Spanish to order a cafe con leche and a cerveza, she gets by in the shops with that limited grasp of Spanish.

We always finds something new to do every time we visit. The fact that there is Alicante to the north and Murcia to the south means that we have a choice of airports.

On our urbanisation we have Spanish, English, German, Dutch, Irish, Danes, Russians, Belgians and we all get along fine. I would recommend Torrevieja is you are looking for reasonably priced housing, good beaches, good shopping, excellent hotels and communications with the airports. There's plenty of golf too.

Comentario

thanks gareth, thats the kind of feedback we are looking for, the points you are making we see as you are seeing, --except the golf mate, tried it and no thanks,-- on your urbanisation the mix sounds fine, i also find a few words can get you quite some way in any country, together with the right attitude and body language.

I think with your mix the balance would work ok, example, one couple jumped on to us, they had a very nice house, within a complex of some 30--60 houses surrounding a pool, the type of place we were looking for,--this was a few years ago-- they explained that most of the houses were occupied by spanish, no problem there, it is there country, but i think the fact they did,nt speak spanish, and visa versa made it quite lonley for them, the only other couple were danish who spoke a little english? i just could,nt imagine being or going over to the swimming pool, or sitting around the barby amongst a group of people who dont speak the same language. maybe i,m being funny or expecting too much?

we have looked at different sites, -not all-- but each seemed to have some problems or atmosphere, -- surely there must be some nice urbanisations with a nice atmosphere? now if i,ve seen that within just a week or so i cant be alone, can i? cheers tom.

for different reasons we have looked at different sites, and seen different problems, some with not nice atmospheres

Comentario

Why not consider renting for five or six months in Torrevieja and then you will get an genuine feeling for the place. I bought twelve years ago in a well established Spanish urbanization with not to many internationals. We are the only Irish family, there are three British, one French and one German also, the rest are Spanish. Would I change it ? not for the world. I love every visit I can make which is about six times a year. We are well accepted by our Spanish neighbours and that is one of the reasons we are here and not to live somewhere which is full of British and Irish. I hope it works for you.

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por tommy Ver Mensaje
                Why not consider renting for five or six months in Torrevieja and then you will get an genuine feeling for the place. I bought twelve years ago in a well established Spanish urbanization with not to many internationals. We are the only Irish family, there are three British, one French and one German also, the rest are Spanish. Would I change it ? not for the world. I love every visit I can make which is about six times a year. We are well accepted by our Spanish neighbours and that is one of the reasons we are here and not to live somewhere which is full of British and Irish. I hope it works for you.
                hi tommy, tommy? thought i was answering myself then, your comments make a lot of sense, i think it it interesting that you mention the mix, i think that perhaps is the key not having too much of one nationality? but you irish have one great advantage over a lot of people--and i have a lot of irish friends-- you can assimilate into any culture and get on with them, we were going to spend time in torre, in our motorhome but were strongly adviced not to,?? another little concern, but your idea is a good one and one we have considered, spend time there, but you know tommy, the ideas great but its difficult still stopping in one place, you get to know that area but not overall, your comments are of value, thank you.

Comentario

hi, we have a place up by the footbal ground, , no problems at all, i for one like torrevieja, nick

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por nicholasmay Ver Mensaje
                    hi, we have a place up by the footbal ground, , no problems at all, i for one like torrevieja, nick
                    hi nick, thanks for your reply, are you on a complex or cut of? if on a complex, ie, communial pool, what is the mix etc, have you seen any negatives to the town?.

to all who have replied thanks very much, i know some of you may think my question a bit odd, as stated it just seems i get a lot of mixed reactions to torri, i have met a few people on different sites who have given me the distinct impression that there is something wrong or something that makes them a bit unhappy, generally i find in life its all down to money, also, i have deliberatley looked in low season, maybe i have just been unfortunate to meet a few grumpy buggers on tight budgets, its a bit too late to sell up once that moves been made.

I was hoping/ wondering, if others have seen what i have seen, to avoid different areas, complexes etc. many thanks.

Comentario

hi, we have a place on a urb with a communial pool, there are mainly spanish, but some brits and other nationals, all seem friendly. as for money, you can eat drink cheap enough if you look, we dont have a car out there so we do a lot of walking, its easy to get the bus anywhere, i like walking down to the front where there is a lot of life going on, there are also plades to go round where i am, but it is also quite, it is a large town with good and bad places depending on who you speak to, but i havn,t really found any bad place yet, nick

Comentario

We have had an apartment in Torrevieja for 12 years now as a holiday home. Its a two bedroom apartment on the top floor of a block of 80 apartments where we are the only english owners. All the spanish residents are great with us and keep the place imaculate. They would because its their everyday home. The pool is always kept to an exceptional standard. The maintanance is cheaper here and the management company do a great job. I have not heard or seen of any crime in the time that we have been here. Every restaraunt around the apartment is spanish and you need to speak a little to survive. The food is cheap. In September I was getting menu del dia at 8.5 euros for three courses including bread and wine!!! This is a great environment to be in. Two minutes to two beaches and all the beach bars that go with it, however not a shepheards pie or roast beef dinner in sight!!!
                        Now, the alternative which I think is equally as good but totally different. Two years ago, after a dissapointing visit to Marbella, we bought a one bedroom ground floor apartment on an urbanisation five minutes from Villa Martin. Its an old style well established community with buildings that resemble an old spanish pueblo with narrow walkways and well kept gardens. There are many nationalities with some perminant residents but the majority being holiday visitors. There are lots of english people around the pool and in the three bars that are within walking distance. The menu del dia can be found from 10 euros and there are any amount of pies, roasts, Sky TV premiership football matches and live entertainment shows. The atmosphere is so relaxing. Its quiet and you can hear a pin drop at times. Nice well lit gardens to sit out in to take a glass or two in the evening. There is an onsite security guard which keeps crime down. No crime has been reported in 4 years!!! The maintanance is more expensive, the running costs seem to be more expensive, however I think its worth every penny.
                        Its whatever suites you and your family, however we enjoy both of the extremes and would reccommend Torrevieja and its surrounding areas to anyone. Do report back on how you get on and where you eventually settle.

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por Bob Pallas Ver Mensaje
                          We have had an apartment in Torrevieja for 12 years now as a holiday home. Its a two bedroom apartment on the top floor of a block of 80 apartments where we are the only english owners. All the spanish residents are great with us and keep the place imaculate. They would because its their everyday home. The pool is always kept to an exceptional standard. The maintanance is cheaper here and the management company do a great job. I have not heard or seen of any crime in the time that we have been here. Every restaraunt around the apartment is spanish and you need to speak a little to survive. The food is cheap. In September I was getting menu del dia at 8.5 euros for three courses including bread and wine!!! This is a great environment to be in. Two minutes to two beaches and all the beach bars that go with it, however not a shepheards pie or roast beef dinner in sight!!!
                          Now, the alternative which I think is equally as good but totally different. Two years ago, after a dissapointing visit to Marbella, we bought a one bedroom ground floor apartment on an urbanisation five minutes from Villa Martin. Its an old style well established community with buildings that resemble an old spanish pueblo with narrow walkways and well kept gardens. There are many nationalities with some perminant residents but the majority being holiday visitors. There are lots of english people around the pool and in the three bars that are within walking distance. The menu del dia can be found from 10 euros and there are any amount of pies, roasts, Sky TV premiership football matches and live entertainment shows. The atmosphere is so relaxing. Its quiet and you can hear a pin drop at times. Nice well lit gardens to sit out in to take a glass or two in the evening. There is an onsite security guard which keeps crime down. No crime has been reported in 4 years!!! The maintanance is more expensive, the running costs seem to be more expensive, however I think its worth every penny.
                          Its whatever suites you and your family, however we enjoy both of the extremes and would reccommend Torrevieja and its surrounding areas to anyone. Do report back on how you get on and where you eventually settle.
                          hi bob, thanks very much for your answere, most informative, you have mentioned some interesting options, i have heard about villa martin, but again not too positive, perhaps ive been listening to the wrong people, it would be great to see some of you guys in the future to go into more detail, many thanks. tom.

Comentario

Positive

I agree with Gareth and Nick. I live in a friendly urbanisation of the size you wish to live in with all the facilities you are looking for. I am near the sports bar in Altos de la Bahia in the North of the town. There is a bus stop to town close at hand with the beach (la Mata) a 10 minute walk away but 15 - 20 on the way back. There are good shops and eating places all close by. Our urbanisation has a good mix of nationalities but like any large group will occassionally have a difference of opinion. However, things are usually resolved in a short period of time. This has been my 9th year of ownership and have no regrets.
                            Good luck with your search.

Comentario

hi lithgy, thanks for your comments, when you say north of the town, is that going out of town with the beach to your right hand side? we did have a look around that area. certainly you sound like you have it cracked, as i stated previously i feel it better to get a good mix, my daughter just came back from her friends stopping some ten miles out of town, they love it, all spanish who look after the complex and are very friendly.

by the way, can anyone tell me the exact procedure if i wish to leave my car--van in torry all year round? registration etc, whats required?

Comentario

Trabajando...
                              X