Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• Holiday cash

We are holidaying in Spain next month. The exchange rate in UK today is 1.3480 euros to the pound.
    Is it best to buy all our euros before we leave home or can we get a better rate by turning our pounds into euros at a Spanish bank?

Does anyone have an opinion of the economics of using a UK Debit card instead of cash?

TIA

Comentario

You will usually have to pay a commission if you use your debit card over here. It will not show up on your statement until you get home, best thing to use is a Nationwide cash card (usually their flex account) you get the bank rate on withdrawls and no commission.

Cath

Comentario

if you are taking any cash (euros) with you it is best to get it from travelex at the airport. Pre order it on the internet for a very competitive rate.

But as already mentioned a nationwide debit card used at cash points is the best way of getting cash.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car...nding-overseas

Comentario

Comentario

[quote="orangegrove"]We always use our Nationwide Flexi a/c's debit cards but ONLY at VISA ATMs in Spain & we get fantastic rates.quote]

Thanks to all for your informative replies. You say ONLY at VISA ATMs, so are these plentiful, i.e only at banks etc or do they have them at suprmarkets?

Following everyone here's advice I will now go out into the cold, windy rain and open a Nationwide Flex account.
            Wish I was sitting outside with my Menu del Dia as per the webcam. (mind you, I see they are forecasting rain for you tomorrow)
            Hasta luego

Comentario

Whatever you do, Do not bring Euro travellers cheques to Torrevieja as they are a nightmare to change and will be charged for the priviledge of getting them changed.

Comentario

I agree with the Nationwide Flexi account argument they are very good. What we did was to also open an e acoount attached to the flexi account so we could transfer money from the e account into the flexi account anywhere AND get 5.8% gross interest

Comentario

Yep, I would concur with all the above re N'wide, at a time when the exchange rate was 1.32 back in the UK all our withdrawals were calculated at 1.40-1.42 E

Comentario

Trabajando...
                  X