Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• spanish driving licence

hi guys, i would like to know if anyone can tell me off a local assesor who can assist me in changing my uk driving licence for a spanish one at a reasonable cost. so far i have been quoted 125 euro's and thought that was a bit steep.or if you have any tips on doing it yourself they would be appreciated

Mine was renewed by Lorraine who was ever so helpful. Think I paid 60 euro plus tasas.
    Her phone nbr is 606 067 251
    e-mail: lorenas_spain@hotmail.com

Comentario

I have used Lorraine as well. Very good does not just do driving licences but all Spanish Paperwork such as NIEs and Residencias. Saves hours of queueing and less hassle.

Comentario

Buy Brian Dellers Motoring in Spain and do it yourself for price of the book and the Traffico fees.

Comentario

We did the first time and if you don´t speak Spanish can be very frustrating. Also using Lorraine saved us so much hassle and hours of queueing.

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por algy59 Ver Mensaje
            hi guys, i would like to know if anyone can tell me off a local assesor who can assist me in changing my uk driving licence for a spanish one at a reasonable cost. so far i have been quoted 125 euro's and thought that was a bit steep.or if you have any tips on doing it yourself they would be appreciated
            Perhaps this may help too

Driving Licence Exchange

We replaced our UK DVLA licences last Jan 08 and used a local solicitor here in Los Montesino - the whole process then cost 120€ each and took some 6 months.

There was no break in our driving eligibility in Spain or UK (so we were told !) during this process - thankfully this was not tested. There were however periods when we only possessed Gestor/Solicitor letters, then DGT Trafico letters and finally temporary card licences. We had to hand into the Solicitor both our DVLA photocards and the paper (green) counterparts at the beginning of the process.

DVLA Form - D737

As a back-up for returns to UK we were advised (by Brian Deller - see below) to obtain DVLA Form D737 - which gives your driving history with DVLA - it cost £5 then (paid by Cradit Card). A simple telephone call to DVLA (+44 1792 783071) was all that was needed. This D737 proved invaluable when we arrived at the car rental desk in Southampton and got concerned blank looks from the receptionist with my temporary licence and wife's Spanish photocard. My photocard was at that time still 'in-the-post'. The Spanish licence does not have a paper counterpart similar to DVLA's

Medicals

To 'legally' drive in Spain it is necessary to have a special 'Drivers Medical'. The frequency of the medicals depends on age.

I understand that up to age of 45 - every 10 yrs; 45 to 70 - every 5 years; and finally 70+ every 2 years

These Medicals are carried out at special Medical Cetres/Clinic dotted around Spain. There is more than one medical centre in Torrevieja - the one we used - as directed/advised by the local Driving School in Los M - has the address:

Centro Psicotechnico
            Calle Ramon Gallud, 11
            Torrevieja

(It moved from 23 to 11 a short while ago)

I understand these centres ONLY with Driver Medicals and Fire Arms Medicals (as can be seen from its sign)

The Clinic is on Calle Ramon Galud - just down from Calle Orihuela - a large 'flag sign' - at ground floor level makes its easy to spot. 'Bargain Books' is close by on the diagonally opposite corner of the Calle Orihuela/Calle Ramon Galud cross road junction

The Clinic's receptionist has a good command of English and she also possesses the necessary sense of humour and organisational skills!

Both of the 'Medical Assessors' have a good command too!!

Opening hours:

Mon, Wed and Fri - 5-00pm to 9-00pm

Just turn up - first come-first served - best to get there early!

Need to take with you:

UK DVLA Photocard (+ 'Paper part' if you have it)
            Passport/NIE
            Passport or DNI photo

Fee - mine was 29€ (a year ago) - understand it is now 25€ - but not sure

The Medical Test

This is in two parts

Firstly - Medical - General discussions/declaration/and checks (15 mins)

Blood pressure test
            Colour perception test (Red - Green)
            Eye sight test (usual opticians rows of letters)
            Head light 'flash' test with large letter reading test

Secondly - Hand-Eye coord test - (15 mins or so)

This 'simulator' is similar to a Church Summer Fair or Fairground game contraption !!
            On a monitor - keeping two white dots (~ 2 cm diam) in two winding red lanes (~ 2 cm wide) - using both hands - holding T grips. A 'bleep' is heard if you stray out of the lane!! Fascinating!!

Documentation

In return for your fee you will get a Certificate - and depending how good a pass you get (you can fail!) the 'boss' (Hand Eye coordinator) may comment in the free text spaces. He will also identify if you need to wear glasses (for driving) and hence carry a spare pair in the vehicle.

Take a couple of colour photocopies for your records and keep the original in your vehicle just in case you are stopped

The Medical Certificate does 'expire'. For those with Spanish licences it is 3 months - since that is the lead time it takes to obtain a re-issued licence from Trafico. For those who have registered DVLA licences I understand it is the period upto the next medical requirement (see above for frequency)

Further Reading

Have a look in Brian Deller's web site - some good stuff here:

www . spainvia.com

He is a well respected authority on Motoring In Spain - and writes for a couple of the local 'free newspapers'

Look for the DGT (Trafico) letter on Medicals and their frequency - it is in Spanish - but Brian explains what you are looking at if you do not understand to that level. A copy can be kept in your vehicle - I keep mine there

Best of luck!!
            Editado por última vez por Mike E; https://torrevieja.com/forums/member/3463-mike-e en , 14:02:55.

Comentario

Just done mine at Trafico in Alicante. No problem. €35 for medical and €28 for Trafico. They don't keep your English licence, they keep a photocopy for verification with DVLA and exchange the original when your Spanish one is ready. Necessary documentation can be found here

Regards, Jeff.
              Editado por última vez por webby; https://torrevieja.com/forums/member/3361-webby en , 15:00:56.

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por webby Ver Mensaje
                Just done mine at Trafico in Alicante. No problem. €35 for medical and €28 for Trafico. They don't keep your English licence, they keep a photocopy for verification with DVLA and exchange the original when your Spanish one is ready. Necessary documentation can be found here

Regards, Jeff.
                Hi Jeff

Sounds easy! Please, if you wouldn't mind:

Where did you take the Medical? Was it similar to that which I posted earlier?

The link worked ok - but what basically, in English, did you need and take?

I read elsewhere that the Trafico Office in Alicante has moved - is this the case?

Was there only a need for one visit? How long was your visit?

Many thnaks - Regards

Mike E
                Editado por última vez por Mike E; https://torrevieja.com/forums/member/3463-mike-e en , 15:12:02.

Comentario

Ok, in answer to your questions.
                  1. I did my medical in Almoradi but there are plenty of places as described previously. Yes it was as described, easy-peasy.

2. Trafico hasn't moved in my experience. Link

3. One visit to apply, one visit to collect. Application can take a couple of hours.

4. Process is as follows.
                  1. Go to Information desk. They will give you two forms to fill in, an application and a statement that you do not have any other licence and are not disqualified.
                  2. Take this to the Caja and pay. They will give you a receipt and a number.
                  3. You will also need your English licence (both parts) and photocopy, (I always take two copies of everything for safety's sake.) your residencia cert. +2 copies, passport photo X2, passport + 2 copies, medical certificate + 2 copies.

Be advised, you cannot do any of this until you have been here (with a padron) for at least 6 months and you will need to prove that.

Hope this helps, I am happy to be corrected, but as I said, I did this last week.
                  Regards, Jeff.

Comentario

You can download the forms from the DGT site

DGT

Comentario

SA/Canadian drivers licences

Is there anyone else HERE who has a SA and or Canadian drivers licence - will I need a new test for a Spanish licence??
                      So far, no one has been able to give me facts

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por Veronica Ver Mensaje
                        Is there anyone else HERE who has a SA and or Canadian drivers licence - will I need a new test for a Spanish licence??
                        So far, no one has been able to give me facts
                        Try Brian Deller - he is a recognised expert on all aspects of motoring in Spain!

His web-site is http://www.spainvia. com or try his email

bjdeller@spainvia.com

Should help - please let me know

Mike E

Comentario

The facts are that Spain does not recognise a Canadian licence and to exchange to Spanish which is mandatory you have to go through the Spanish test.

At least it was last year when my Canadian friend arrived but I dont think it has changed.

And I would guess SA as well.

The good news is that now at least this can be done in English..,.

Comentario

Thank you

I am following up on the leads suggested to find out where I now go to get a Spanish licence

Comentario

You either use a gestoria type service or go to Traffico in Alicante.

Comentario

Trabajando...
                              X