Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

Torrevieja / Los Locos As I saw it!

OK this has been a series of firsts for me when I sit down and think about it. First time i've flown with Easyjet, first time i've used Alicante airport, first time i've used a legal transfer service, first time i've stayed in Orbi Playa apartments, and the first time i've come home with some Euros in my wallet too (Not as good as it sound though).

Firstly the flight. I flew from Belfast with Easyjet and we used speedy boarding. At 5.30 in the morning the last thing you need is a mile long queue and my Mrs and kids complaining, well there was none of that this year as we walked to the front of the queue checked in our bags job done 3 minutes tops. I swear I could feel the eyes of the 100 or so other passengers in the queue beside us burning into my back but hey you get what you pay for in this game and that included any seat on the plane we wanted as we were second in the queue both going to and retuning from Alicante. Flights took-off on time if not a little early and landed on time or 10 minutes early too. The only other thing I have to say about Easyjet is the Hot Bacon Bagettes are to die for and were a lifesaver on the way home, but more about that later!

I had a major problem with my transfers the day before I went, as the drivers car had broken down leaving me the only option of using a taxi at the airport.... or so I thought. After a few calls to "People" that do pick-ups, I decided to try the company run by our dear friend Orange. To my surprise they could fit us in even at just 1 days notice and at a very reasonable rate too. When I walked out of the airport there was the driver with my name displayed waiting for us and a handshake later we were loaded up and on the way to our apartment. And guess what? IT WAS THE MAN HIMSELF! He too was supurb a whole mini-bus for the 4 of us with Air-Con. Safe and legit for both transfers and they were even 15 minutes early picking us up for the return journey which is probably the norm as i'm sure they sometimes have to waken people up who have slept in, although this didn't apply to us as we were waiting for them, but I must say getting to and from Belfast to the apartment in Torrevieja was about as stress free as I can ever remember so a big thanks to Easyjet and Clydegrovegolf.com

Alicante airport. This is one of the most expensive places I have ever visited. This is the main reason I came home with euros in my wallet. It was the main reason that Easyjets bagettes were such a godsend. Over 5 euros for a sandwich and if you were prepared to spend that you also had to like cheese as every sandwich appeared to have this in it. Best to make something before you go, lots of people had done that, crisps, sandwiches, but no drinks you have to dispose of these before going through security don't forget. A real rip-off too were the "Duty Free" shops. Forget about drink and cigs here even the "Special Offer" put 50 cents on a packet of 20 cigs compaired to the shops in Torrevieja. My top tip is do ALL your shopping BEFORE you reach the airport!

Ok so there you have everything about my holiday other than the 2 weeks spent at the apartment Orbi Playa in Los Locos Torrevieja. Im still trying to put my thoughts into words and when I do I will return with more of my 2009 holiday thoughts and also some 2010 holiday predictions.

Comentario

Part 2 Los Locos 2009 How I found it.

This was the 3rd time I had stayed in Los Locos but it had been 2 years since I had last been there and this was the first time I had stayed at the Orbi Playa the previous 2 times I had stayed in La Dama which is further out on past Bar222 for those of you who know the area.
      The first thing I will say is the weather the whole time we were there was great not a drop of rain for 2 weeks or as I said to a work mate in a text "The only wet things out here are the pool and the beer i'm drinking" I wont tell you the reply I got as there may be children reading this!

With the weather in mind including the evening heat I was glad that we had a fully air-coned apartment livingroom and bedrooms. I had no complaints about my accomodation but I do feel that given the economic downturn and the number of places with to-let or for-sale signs up that some people are still being unrealistic about asking prices certainly for sales and also for rentals especially if you are traveling from outside the euro zone. This was very evident in the voices that you hear as you do your everyday thing. I could count the number of English Welsh and Scottish people I met on 1 hand. I met more from my own country and very very few from Southern Ireland which was a huge change from any of my previous visits. Los Locos was filled with the Spanish as usual and lots and lots of French. Unfortunatly this means that the Spanish bars were usually doing a good trade but it was so obvious that the British and Irish bars were really struggling. I have never before walked into Kennedy's (3 Lions), Popeyes, or Murphs and found we were the only ones there. One of my big fears before going were the prices for food in the bars but I have to say that any of the 3 mentioned above were very reasonable priced whats more important the quality of the food was excellent. I know that Tipsys has already been lost but I do hope that there are no more closures before things start to pick up, but I do worry if some of them will last even to the end of the summer. Its not their fault they were built up to provide a service for the demand from the "English Speaking" but although the area is still busy the percentage of these customers to go around has greatly deminished in my view. I did talk to some of the people out there and some of them do blame Iceland, no not the bankers in that country, but Iceland the frozen food retailer. British stile food at great prices for you to cook at home leaving you with more to spend on your favourite tipple when you do go out.
      I have to plead guilty as charged as for the first time on holiday I did make dinners in the apartment (Yes I do the cooking not my wife)on a number of nights, this was in part to save some money I will admit but we had a pool view and a nice balcony and it was a shame not to use it. Supermarket prices I have to say were good both for food and drink with a good bottle of wine about 4 euro and a large bottle of beer about 70 cents!
      I have to give special mention to Murphs Sunday Specials well worth the money and I have to say the steak I had on the day before we left was excellent too.

Further afield now and as usual the icecream shops on the prom are to die for. The streets were crowded and it must be my favourite way to justify all the food I ate while I was away going on those long evening walks down to wave at the webcam and then back up to sit on the wooden benches eating an icecream watching all the "Beautiful" people walk on by!

People on this forum have warned others to be careful while out and about but I must say we had no problems whatsoever. Another reason for this was because everywhere you walked the Local Police were not far away which had 3 main advantages in my view. Firstly it put the pickpockets etc off just by them being there, secondly The "Looky Looky" men scarpared too. And thirdly police women were never that good looking over here (it must have been the sun tan), the wife said I should try and get arrested by one and I'd maybe change my views but all I can say is their presence made me feel safer and made me feel my family were safer too.

Another thing I have noticed has changed but not quite gone away is that most of the locals are now carrying little bags with them when they walk their dogs. This was one of my PET hates before but I must say in 2 years there has been a noticable improvement.

The markets in La Mata and Torrevieja were as mad as ever but you do have to do them once. Again my only advice is you get what you pay for and never pay the first price ALWAYS HAGGLE. Also some the the chinese supermarkets and the likes of Domti are great for getting some bargains.

I haven't ever hired a car while I was away as you don't really need one in Los Locos plus it plays havoc with the Social(BEER)Life. I know this year demand for hire cars has outstripped supply and prices have went through the roof but I must admit that the lack of parking in the area plus the number of dented cars around sort of put me off even more. My father in law said that he was yet to see a car without a bent, cracked, or broken numberplate in Torrevieja but I am just happy for 2 weeks of the year I don't have to drive anywhere. After all the buses are good and cheap if a little bit crowded especially on market days and the local taxis are metred and reasonably priced infact for one journey we had for 4 of us it was cheaper than taking the bus.

Finally I have to say that at this time I have every intention of going back next year maybe for 3 weeks again or 4! For a relaxing family holiday its hard to beat. Ok prices have risen but this is mostly due to the exchange rate but like anything you try to live within your budget the best you can.

Speaking of which if anyone out there can offer me a good deal on accomodation for next year feel free to let me know or if you have any recomendations or you want to share your views or comments please do. If you would like any questions answered about what I have posted I will get back to you ASAP.
      And finally if someone asks you should they go to Torrevieja on holiday next year like I did earlier on this year in an earlier thread, the answer in my view, is definitely YES YES YES.

Comentario

What a lovely report, thanks for sharing that. So glad you enjoyed your holiday and will be returning to Torrevieja. Much nicer to read a good report than the normal moans and groans.

Comentario

Did you visit Pegasus at all during your stay?

Comentario

hi have any of you heard of Aldea del mar is this a complex.as my parents have just rented a 3 bedroom duplex for 2 weeks in September. they said its close to the 222 restaurant, is the complex nice,any feedback would be very welcome
            Editado por última vez por leedsman; https://torrevieja.com/forums/member/2993-leedsman en , 13:44:21.

Comentario

priddel thats a great bit of info, i totally agree with what you say about the accomodation in los locos people are looking for crazy prices. My mum and dad have pre-booked a place and its costing them 380 a week plus 60 euros cleaning at the end. But this is in the middle of september not even peak times as the kids will be back at school.

How did you find the Orbi Playa for price

If anyone knows of anything better or cheaper please let me know before they pay this money. the only thing is it has to have 3 bedrooms

Comentario

Aldea del Mar

Hi Leedsman, you will find that this complex is top of the league in accomadation. Saying that expect to pay to use the pool which I have been told can be pricey. The beach is just 100m away so that is best bet. Handy for buses into town and out of town. Hope they enjoy themselves.

Richard

Comentario

thanks for the info quizmater,the owner told us we had free use of the pool

Comentario

hi leedsman
                    yes aldea del mar is the best.and yes you do have to pay to use the pool,we have a place 100yards from there but only 2 bedrooms

Comentario

Aldea del Mar

Originalmente publicado por leedsman Ver Mensaje
                      hi have any of you heard of Aldea del mar is this a complex.as my parents have just rented a 3 bedroom duplex for 2 weeks in September. they said its close to the 222 restaurant, is the complex nice,any feedback would be very welcome
                      I stayed in La Dama which is beside Aldea del mar and have to say it looks good. All the apartments in Orbi Playa are 2 bedroom and I have to say for July /August we paid £375/week + 65euro for a clean but we left it late to book so we didn't have the biggest choice. We did have a low floor, pool view, and full air con, with all electric included, so it was reasonable. I could take a chance and book an apartment in the same complex that charges euros and hope for an improvement in the exchange rate but I think the days of 1.30Euro to the £1.00 are probably well gone.
                      I did get to pegasus and got to see Cookie again. It did take a while to get going but the owners were friendly and they had a good pool table but I didn't eat there and the menu looked very limited. Cookies wife Debbie was doing the food but had given this up and got another job. Have to admit though it just wasn't the same as Tipseys which was a shame. But maybe next year when when we invade the place with about 16 of us at once it might be different!

Comentario

Hi
                        The Aldea del Mar complex is very nice and in a good location close to the beach.

The price of the pool is 9€ a day i believe but you can book a 2 week pass not sure how much of a discount you get. I normally tell people about the El Paraiso swimming pool which is just of Calle Paris and is only around 4€ a day and a restaurant attached.

Comentario

OK here we go again. I didn't get back in 2010 I had a "Staycation" and I was bored and wet for 3 weeks. So I'm booked for 2011 so has anything changed?
                          Anything new? Anything closed? Whats still happening? Please let me know.

Comentario

Hi i was out there 2 weeks ago,popeyes is still going,durty nellys is good for food big portions ,its getting a bit costly now a pint will cost you 3 euros and eating out basic 8 euros to 12 euros for a steak or pork with chips,although a dirty nellies you can get a 12 oz t bone with all the trimmings for 12 euro . los locos was pretty empty when i left most of the town flats deserted.i was there in august mega busy, despite the recession the bars and resteraunts are not cutting their prices.hope you have a great time,regards GASEHOUND.

Comentario

Have to agree with Gasehound. I was over in the week before Christmas and it was deathly quiet in the Brit bars. Popeyes (which I used most), Murph's on the front and Dirty Nelly's were the only ones open. Tipsy's has been shut for two years now, Three Lions/Kennedys was closed "for holidays" and I wasn't around there that late to see if Pegasus was open. Up the road, Oly's bar is still doing a decent trade but now mainly Scandinavian since Steve left. Best place I've found recently to call a "local" has been Corky's. Good hard-working owners and staff, always something on, a pool table and decent value food. They are certainly making an effort and there is always someone in there, so it seems to be paying off.
                              Bar Alan, on the other side of Calle Paris, is another that is reasonably busy, while Bar Carlos, above Corky's on the top edge of the Friday market area, is a good mix of Spanish, Brits and other Europeans.
                              Talking of which, I was over in August and the Brit bars were just as quiet then as they are now. So, I started visiting more Spanish ones and they were very busy (despite the assumption that the Madrileños don't go out).
                              The likes of Fifth Avenue just off Calle San Pascual is always busy and has free tapas. Captain Jack's off Calle Habeneras is another and there are some good cafe-bars on Calle Habeneras itself on the way up to the bust station that are worth a visit. They are, generally two-thirds the price of the Brit bars too. A glass of red wine will be 70 cents.

Comentario

I've never really eaten at Durty Nellys probably because when I first went there about 6 years ago I had 1 meal that I wasn't impressed with plus I find it dark, smokey and the pool table is not great. I know its probably changed but 1st impressions are hard to change. BUT a 12oz T-bone could change all that!
                                Thanks for the reply. Any more info keep it coming.

Comentario

Trabajando...
                                X