Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• Torrevieja - Good or Bad?

I have lived on the Costa Del Sol for a number of years before returning home to Northern Ireland after the death of a parent and now I am ready for a return to Spain and this time to the Costa Blanca (greater Torrevieja area) and as a new member the last thing that I want to do is to offend residents of Torrevieja by asking this question - I have heard bad reports about living in Torrevieja and of the very high crime rate and troublesome youths in the area BUT reading through all the forums that I can find I see nothing of this - comments good or bad would be very welcome. I am aware that all areas of Spain and indeed the UK suffers from crime but is it any worse in Torrevieja than anywhere else? I am also interested in renting a townhouse/small villa for several months until I get to know the area and the various urbanizations so any rental information would be greatly appreciated. In advance I thank you for your comments and assistance. Ken.
    Editado por última vez por KGMcDONALD; https://torrevieja.com/forums/member/4507-kgmcdonald en , 15:46:54.

Welcome Ken , as with everywhere there is crime it is mainly in the areas which are holiday homes if you live in a residential area there seems to be no problem maybe because there is always someone about. I know of a couple of small places both on residential areas and one which is 4 beds but out of town somewhat so if you want details email mayor.domo@live.com and I will put you in touch with the owners

Comentario

I live in Torrevieja and yes you do get crime, but I like to think that if you take precautions and are aware of what goes on you should be OK. I have friends who live on the Costa del Sol and it seems very much the same.

Comentario

Having lived on the Costa Del Sol I am very aware of the crime there and know that there is nowhere crime free. When I move to Torrevieja I will not be walking the streets at one in the morning or falling out of pubs or clubs in the early hours looking for trouble and I am pretty streetwise and very aware of the world that we live in.

Comentario

torrevieja good or bad

ive spent time in both torrevieja and costa del sol,i have found torrevieja perfectly safe although i never venture out very late.the people seem warm and friendly.in fact ive experienced more crime in the uk.when you mention torrevieja to anyone in the uk they seem to turn there noses up i often wonder why has it got a bad name? i admit there are places i wouldnt want to live st james gate area i wasnt keen on but the same can be said about areas in the uk

Comentario

Ken,

I'm also from Northern Ireland and feel that crime levels here are much lower that those than I experience back home. Compared to any major UK city, I feel quite safe walking around Torrevieja at 1.00 am, while remaining streetwise, but don't have the same comfort zone in many parts of the UK.

Bad news makes good news for UK TV companies and newspapers. On more than one occasion we have had news crews out here, with an agenda to portray Torrevieja as the Murder Capital of Spain, or the place where householders have lost everything. The same happened in Northern Ireland during the Troubles when ABC news crews could find nothing to justify their stay in Northern Ireland and so would fabricate or stage events!

Starting with one of the worst examples of TV journalism, the crew from the Trevor McDonald show came out here, ensured they had the sound bites they needed from various people and then changed the questions in editing to make Torrevieja sound like one the most dangerous places in Spain! Where they messed up was that they misunderstood a statistic which said they had been 'x' number of murders in the town in ONE year. Actually, the statistic they were looking at refereed to crime over 10 (TEN) years! Again, they had to justify their own mistake and make a 'tabloid' style story to cover their expenses for the trip. Not quite so glamourous or headline grabbing as visiting a known crime spot in the UK, less sunshine and a much more dangerous thing to do, I guess, than visiting little old Torrevieja!

On coming to Torrevieja and finding themselves without a story, they began to fabricate one, which poor old Trevor then fronted on his show and instantly lost his years of credibility as a news-reader, as that is all Trevor does. He only fronts the show and reads whatever is placed in front of him, without doing any of his own research. Shame on them and the production team.

After this TV show, others followed but failed in their attempts to highlight crime in the town/city. Medical concerns are another matter but that's also a UK Government issue and nothing to do with the facilities in Torrevieja.

Guilty by Association
            What also happens is that Torrevieja is the fifth largest city in Valencia and thus people around Spain and the UK know the name. Even on Spanish TV, if 'news' happens on the Oriheula Cotsa, Horadada, Rojales, La Marina, Los Montesinos, Quesada, etc, it's often highlighted as happening in Torrevieja, because most viewers, readers, listeners, know where Torrevieja is and can relate to the area. Something similar to a crime committed in Glengormly or Holywood which is attributed to Belfast.

Having lived here for seven years I feel that the quality of life (and most certainly the weather) is greater here than I enjoyed back home. I have a young family and there is no comparison to be made over the opportunities for kids here (especially if they speak Spanish) over NI.

Just IMHO but I hope it goes some way to explaining why Torrevieja sometimes gets a bad rap for crime over other cities in Spain. If you do a google seach about Sir Trevor and Torrevieja you'll also find other forum and news stories on the subject such as on this forum.

Regarding rental, lots of properties to choose from and a wise way to go, as each residential community has something different to offer, depending how much you'd like to live in 'little Britain' or not, or close to shops. schools, side-walk cafes, parking, etc.

Good luck on your quest and maybe we'll meet up some day for a coffee.

Cheers,

Keith

Comentario

The wow in torry

I Love torry, no different to Ipswich ,B.S.E, or any other town, Could do with a good tidy up ,,maintainance etc, but I do love the "WOK" Restoraunt LaSiesta roundabout, Excellent, 4 course meal for only 5 euros ,includes bottle of wine for two.++ most hospitable friendly hosts,Get yourselves there,and by the way if you want work ,you,ll find it !!Good Luck, may see you in "THE WOK" Velly cheap!!

Comentario

Trabajando...
              X