Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• British TV is nearly done!

Reading on a satellite forum that, soon (perhaps this year), the current Astra satellite that provides us here with British TV will be replaced with a number of new ones, each designed to beam to specific locations.
    The experts predict that the narrowing of the beams will make it almost impossible for us here on the C/Blanca to pick up the channels, even with a 2.4m/3.6m dish.
    Even the pirates will have a struggle to keep going.
    From what I can deduce, the BBC is behind this as it does not want non-licence payers to watch for nothing.
    So much for european integration and free borders.
    The new satellites are in the process of being built.
    So, don't bother buying any dishes!

Thats funny I heard and read that they would not be going up until 2014. The biggest customer to Astra (Astra own the actual satelites) is Rupert Murdoch and Sky and not the BBC, do you think Rupert would like Astra to narrow the beams and stop people in Europe from getting his channels and thus stopping him from getting revenue from Brits. I know he does not have a licence to broadcast over here but if he only took subs from people in the Uk and Eire, and stopped all the people over in Europe, then his revenue would shrink quite a lot. Lets wait and see

Comentario

Don't disagree with what you are saying in regards to satalite positions but the BBC or the British government have no power over other channels or where they would be transmitted.
      I believe that there 4 satelites positioned closely together (in space) which on home based satelite systems act as one allowing a home system to pick up all channels available if they have the correct box and dish, normally based on which language or channels you wish to receive.

There is no advantage to any broadcasting company reducing its viewage as apart from BBC each companies income comes from advertising revenue.

I'm sure that there may be plans to change or update satelites but can't see how this would affect a large dish (2.4 or 3.6) in its ability to pick up signals from a foot print of a signal covering the UK at present, compared to a foot print of a signal covering the UK in the future.

I could be wrong but the size of dish required is only in relation to the distance from a particular foot print where the channels you want to receive are available and as the UK and the Costa Blanca are not going to be further apart the dish size should'nt need to increase.
      It may be that any home based satelite boxes may need changing to receive the signals.

Comentario

All very interesting - I'm no expert but you can have a read here and draw your own conclusions.

Very Bad news for Expats!!

Please report back with your thoughts.

Comentario

Interesting set of posts.
          Bottom line without getting too technical is that the Astra satellites that are used by Sky are changing their beams from 2012 as new replacement satellites are brought into service over a three year period.
          Nobody can be a 100 per cent certain, but because of a much tighter UK beam on the new satellites, there is a very high probability that the availability of services in the Costa Blanca will be reduced. This most likely will revolve around the 'free to air' UK services from the BBC, ITV, 4, and 5.
          There is a chance that other services will be available as clearly SKY would like to keep the ex-pat income coming in!!!
          Yes..there is uncertainty...but have you noticed the silence coming from the rebroadcasters and the satellite dealers?? I have no axe to grind, as I have a dish and subscribe to Sky. TDT and Digital Plus here I come!!!

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por 6mauledrv Ver Mensaje
            Reading on a satellite forum that, soon (perhaps this year), the current Astra satellite that provides us here with British TV will be replaced with a number of new ones, each designed to beam to specific locations.
            You obviouusly read the article, but failed to not that it will not be this year but the new satellite will be launched from 2012 into 2014 - not this year!

The experts predict that the narrowing of the beams will make it almost impossible for us here on the C/Blanca to pick up the channels, even with a 2.4m/3.6m dish.
            Quite possibly the beams MAY be tighter, but then they said that about Astra 2D, and you would not be able to receive it in SPain, but you can with a suitable sized dish. So actual reception can be very different to "official footprints".

Things may stay the same, things may be better, or things may get worse (they need 4m dishes at the moment in places like the Canaries, and Greece! - so think what size dish they may be needing...! And they prove that people will buy very big dishes if required!)

(according to reports the only reason why you need a much smaller dish in the costa del sol than the CB is that the satellite was damaged during manufacture - resulting in a stronger beam in the south of spain...has nothing to do with the fact that "the BBC needed to get their signal to Gibralter!" that I hear quite a few times.)

(and there are other "spot beams" in Europe that they say cannot be received oiutside specific countries, but the actual reception report maps tell different things to the offical footprints! The "German" spot beam on Astra 3a can (reportably) be received on a 1.2m dish here in Spain)

Re "beam to specific locations" - one of the current satellites have these types of beam already - and is being used to transmission to Nigeria! Yes - a satellite used primarily for UKTV has a beam for Nigeria. Could this be the use for a "spot beam" mentioned by the satellite manufacturer?

(And a few of the more recent newer satellites that have been launched have had "footprints" that have not been as tight as first thought.)

From what I can deduce, the BBC is behind this as it does not want non-licence payers to watch for nothing.
            ALL UK TV broadcasters would like to do this, not just the BBC. Look at C4 - when encrypted (sky card) was on a strong satellite, when they went free to air they moved to the weaker 2D satellite to limit its "free" signal.

So much for european integration and free borders.
            Makes no difference. EU law makes provision for protection of material to certain areas for copyright and broadcast, and allows restrictions of sale of viewing cards in other countries and specific "spot" beams to comply with this.

but have you noticed the silence coming from the rebroadcasters and the satellite dealers??
            No.
            How many times have you asked "the rebroadcasters and the satellite dealers" for comment.....? How many others post on here?
            (I have just seen the post and so not had chance to comment on it).
            And a satellite change has been known about foir a long tme...the offical Specs for the current satellite states their lifespan, freely available on the astra website. And this has been mentioned many time before on various expat websites and commented on (even on the .co.uk site!).

You always have a choice....dont watch UK TV, watch Spanish TV (many programmes on UK TV and Sky are on Spanish TV and D+ - is Top Gear on La sexta?), download, try a VPN, try a slingbox, read a book,

But as you forum says: "Its all guesswork anyway until the technical specs of the new birds are released a couple of years hence".
            Editado por última vez por satandpcguy; https://torrevieja.com/forums/member/3071-satandpcguy en , 09:38:32.

Comentario

Trabajando...
            X