Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• More about NIE numbers

I know its a much repeated topic but bear with me. Following advice on this forum we have downloaded the form and the english version of how to fill it in (thanks everyone) but we now have 2 questions
    1) do you need to have the number already to sign for the property/get the mortgage
    2) we are out in september for 5 days to sign for the appartment (finally) is there anywhere we can book an appointment to get the NIE number rather than leaving it and returning in 6 weeks (we are buying in La Zenia if location matters)
    We have tried to ask our lawyer but have had no reply so think he must be on spanish summer hols as well!

No unfortunately you cannot make an appointment. People start queuing at around 6 or 7 in the morning for the office to open at 9. There are usually long queues but not everyone is there for an NIE number. I have heard on many posts in various forums that there can be a bit of pushing and shoving.

Apparently you can nominate someone to collect it for you as it probably won't be done the same day (unless you go to Alicante I understand). Presumably your Solicitor will charge for collecting it for you.

Apparently the new office in Alicante is not in the centre and there is no toilet there or anywhere to get a drink while you are waiting. People have said in other forums that you cannot leave the queue as you won't be let back in again.

Some have said that the office will keep the number for you to collect a few months into the future. That's what we will probably have to do as we are going in Sept and won't be back out until April/May next year.

Apparently you need the NIE number for the lender if you are having a mortgage and it is needed to pay taxes aswell - dont know if that is taxes on completion or taxes afterwards once you start paying wealth tax etc on your property.

Comentario

Thanks for that

I know its the spanish way but its really frustrating trying to get things done long distance but we have 3 kids 9,8 +3 so staying out in spain for long periods is not viable either. just when we thought things were going ok the August beak comes along then you can't get in touch will anyone - agents, iron men, locksmiths or lawyers. we are not moaning just keen to get in !

Comentario

Comentario

Comentario

thanks PaddyW

I hadn't heard of this, is this the spanish consulate in London? and do you have to make an appointment? If there are 2 of you involved do you both have to go? (ie me and hubby) or can you nominate someone to go for you ? (we are based in the cold wet north -York)
            Many thanks for all your info - have you bought or where are you buying?
            Philippa

Comentario

I have read several posts about people trying to get their NIE's through the Spanish Consulate. One person said they had been waiting since March to hear back.

If you go on the Consulate website there is info about this and I think from memory they do not get it for you they just send it off. I think you have to go and pick it up yourself. I also think you have to attend in person to submit the application. Anyway check their site - all the info is there.

Comentario

Comentario

fantastic help from all of you thanks.
                  It would help if we could get in touch with the lawyer, back in january we were in his office and were going to get the NIE number but he said dont bother do it later, wish we had persevered now, at least queing in jan would have been more comfortable!

Comentario

Comentario

I used the local Consulate in Edinburgh for my NIE
                      Whereabouts is the consulate in Edinburgh? When you say the NIE's were sent to you do you mean to your Edinburgh address?

Ojay

Comentario

NIE- Edinburgh

The Spanish Consulate is on Castle Street in Edinburgh (just off Princes Street).

Yes- the Extrajaneros Dept in Madrid sent the NIE's to my UK address as that is the only address I used on my NIE forms.

Comentario

That sounds pretty cool I might just do that myself. Thanks for the info.

Ojay

Comentario

I understand (although I stand to be corrected), that the law has now changed and if you go the Notary now without an NIE number, they will send you away and you won't be able to complete on your property until you have one. That's what our solicitor told us, anyway.

Comentario

Yes Debbie,
                              You cannot complete now without your NIE number.

Culain,
                              So glad to hear that someone has actually got their NIE through a consulate. We have just bought in Los Montesinos for July 06 completion and were not looking forward to having to queue for ages in Spain with 2 kids in tow. I looked into going to the consulate in Manchester(nearest as we live in the Midlands) and downloaded all the forms etc. Up until your posting I didn't know of anyone who had done it. This is definitely the way for us. Thanks.

Bernie

Comentario

Trabajando...
                              X