Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• the wrong paint

hi can anybody out there help me, i spent 3days last week painting the balustrades around my walled garden only to find the paint flaking off any advice i am back out in may regards uncle momo.

You need to use an acrylic paint. We got ours from Bricocolor on the industrial estate in Torrevieja. Works perfect. Good luck.

Comentario

I second that, I painted mine with Acrylic last February and it still looks good, the dust just wipes off.

Perry

Comentario

the wrong paint

thank you for the two replies,but i used the acrylic paint and it still flaked off,could you recommend a good primer regards uncle momo

Comentario

This sometimes happens when you apply too thick a paint to a dry plaster surface - the plaster sucks out the moister from the paint, leaving the pigment on the surface which flakes. The effect seems worse with silk paint. The instructions on the tin usually say the first coat should be thinned down by as much as 25% water i.e. as a primer - this way the plaster sucks in the pigment as well, creating a better bond.

Comentario

You need to prepare any surface you are going to paint on very well beforehand. Very thorough cleaning with sugar soap could help, scraping away anything loose, etc. also.

Comentario

When I read the title of this thread "the wrong paint",I thought it was about a follow up to Wallace and Grommit's "the wrong trousers".

Comentario

the wrong paint

thank you all for your suggestions,i will keep you updated when we do them in may,regards uncle momo.

Comentario

This is a most interesting thread. Some time ago a neighbour asked me to recommend a painter. I suggested a Spaniard who had done some good work for several local people. This guy came round in his signwritten van, gave a price and even offered to put the quote in writing to ensure everybody understood. My neighbour however chose an English guy he had met in the bar. He gave a price -cash, of course, - of I think 30,000 pesetas (180 euros ish) more but the neighbour chose him "because he spoke English". No quote, guarantee or anything! Two days after he started the paint started to peel off just as you described. Fortunately no monies had changed hands and the neighbour asked me to talk to the guy. Why me????

This guy, no van just an ordinary saloon car, had absolutely no idea what the problem was and just gave a whole pile of excuses. Eventually, he admitted that it was the first time he had done any outside work and he was at least honest enough to admit that he had really no solution. In England he had worked as a care assistant or similar but here he was remarkably transformed into a "Painter and decorator". Unbelievably, the neighbour paid him about 25,000 pesetas for his "efforts" (!) and the guy took the money!! (Perhaps I should expect payment every time I don't make the dinner or water the plants?) Moral of the story, make sure that you are certain of who you are dealing with.

So, thanks for the explanation. It goes in the memory bank.

Comentario

Acrylic paint

Thanks for the advice but what is acrylic paint called in Spanish?

Comentario

Comentario

acrilo is this the same as plastico?

Comentario

To be honest I don't know

Comentario

Wrong paint

Thanks for the advice but is plastico our equivalent of 'vinyl'. Can this be used or should I keep looking for acrylic on the tin?

Comentario

The Wrong Paint

Earlier advice about Brocacolor is good. Also Rocamar on avd valencianas (the old Alicante road) Ask about a good primer and the paint is Monto acrilic Esmalte al agua. Hope this help's.

Comentario

Trabajando...
                              X