PDA

View Full Version : Beach and sea metal detecting

rodtoms
08-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Hello
I wonder if there are any Metal Detectorist clubs in or around Torrevieja or any individual metal detectorist who wouldnt mind joining up the days detecting.
cheers

Chrisdee
08-02-2008, 02:39 PM
I have a friend who is into metal detecting, I will see him Monday or Wednesday and will find out if he is interested in joining up and will let you know. The beach may be a good place as I did read in the paper this week or last week that the pick pockets are stealing bags etc then burying their loot and collecting it later rather than running off and the beach cleaners are finding all sorts.
Not sure about the rules and regulations here though for metal detecting, are you?

rodtoms
08-03-2008, 08:57 AM
hello
The authorities in spain do not normally allow metal detecting in public places and you need an official permit from the local police which they dont normally give out.However, doing beach detecting out of normal sunbathing hours is tolerated but it does depend on if you have been reported or are being a nuicance to other people.If there are enough of us to possibly get a bonifide club together and show that we are responsible people who do no harm to the enviroment then maybe we could get an official permit.i am coming over to live in Torry in the next 2 months and would like to persue this great hobby.

Chrisdee
08-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Spoke to my friend this morning and he is very interested in joining up with one or a group of you. He will join the forum this afternoon and you will hear from him.

Jeff Andrews
08-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Hi Rod,
I'm the friend of Chris, more than happy to meet up with you when you arrive.
I've been detecting on the beaches here for over 5 years with no problems, I checked with the police station in Torrevieja when I first arrived and was told it was OK to do it.
Jeff

Chrisdee
08-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Welcome Jeff, hope you find it beneficial. Any findings that's worth a few bob, don't forget about my cut!! Happy hunting X X

rodtoms
08-04-2008, 07:58 PM
yo Jeff

ill contact you when im over permanently in Torry.
The late summer/ Winter is one of the best times for beach and surf detecting.
what type of detector have you got ?

Jeff Andrews
08-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Hi Rod,
What part of Uk you coming from?
I've got the SE & XS (both good on beaches) and a Laser B3.
Jeff

rodtoms
08-05-2008, 08:30 AM
yo jeff
we are moving from south Birmingham to Lago Jardin 2 in about 2 months time, as long as our house sale dosent fall through.
I have a small Tesoro for beach work and a waterproof fisher detector for water detecting.My 1st detector was bought in 1976 which was a viking.
although i havent detected for ages,I hope to start again when i get to Torry.
cheers

Jeff Andrews
08-07-2008, 09:04 AM
Hi Rod,
I live just up the hill from you in Dreamhills, look forward to meeting up with you.
Jeff

ipodfansmail
08-14-2008, 04:05 AM
May i have a personal question? counld u sent me your email address?My email is ipodfansmail@gmail.com, thx, man.

Chrisdee
08-14-2008, 08:53 AM
May i have a personal question? counld u sent me your email address?My email is ipodfansmail@gmail.com, thx, man.

This one looks a bit dodgy? It's their first posting, beware Jeff

Jeff Andrews
08-16-2008, 02:34 PM
For ipodfansmail,

I DO NOT open emails unless I know the sender, how can I help you?

Jeff Andrews

mandrakeelmago
09-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Hi there guys

I been living in Torre for about 5 years allready and I used to do coin shooting in beaches in Florida (USA) and in South America.....

But hear in E.u. thinks are quite a bit diferent. Specialy in the way people look this Hobbie.

ANy way I used to go to the beach with a very old garret, dont remember type... but i think it was pulse induction... non VLF.

Y like all the gadgets and electronics and I wold like to have some advices from people how do the same heare in Torre. I looking foward to buy a VLF before end of year and hope y can meet some people with the same hobbie.

More we are biger the pression we can make to get respect for our hobbie.

Thanks and hope we get in contact for coin shooting....

By the way one i get my metal detector...... were is the quiest place to test without too much people looking around

thanks for any advice in advance

Jeff Andrews
09-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Hi,

I bought my latest machine from a detector supplyer in Madrid, if you want further details then let me know. When you are ready to go out give me a shout and we'll meet up around sunrise and go detect on one of the local beaches. Depending on which one you go to they stay pretty quiet for about about two or three hours.

Jeff

mandrakeelmago
09-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Brilliant Jeff, I take your word on that.

As soon I get mi machine y let you know streigth away, thanks.
By the way, the spanish deler is EURODETECTION?

Because till now i think is the best prices i can get in spain. The rest is basically buy it via ebay or similar throw PAYPAl, but I know the guarranty overseas is a little bit like "dreeming awake" in Alicias Fantastic Land.

I been asking some info to EURODETECTION.com, they look quite profesionals. So I guess i will get it from them.
I heard some coments they get u in touch with all the local and national asociations of detectorists. I dont know if it worth it but, but I´ll give it a try.

Thanks for your time

Get in touch with u as soon as I kill all the crocodiles in my pockets and get the machine.
I been thinking in a Tesoro deleon or a Minelab xterra 50 or 70. They are arownd 450 euros... aprox.

lets see

Jeff Andrews
09-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Hi,

Eurodetection is where I bought my last machine. This was suggested to me by Minelab in Ireland so if you do go for a Minelab then you certainly don't have to worry regarding the warranty here in Spain, I almost bought my Minelab from America.

Recently a field test was carried out on the Minelab Xterra 70 and the results put into the Uk magazine called 'Treasure Hunting'. When I was back in Uk and out detecting with my club we were talking about how good the Xterra 70sounded in the report.

I suggest you speak to Peter at Eurodetection for further advice. For what it worth a friend of mine who comes out to Spain frequently had the Xterra 30 but could not get on with it on the local beaches but that would not put me off buying the Xterra 70 (after reading the field test Report on it).

If you learn anything from Peter about the club / associations here in Spain then I would be interested to know more. I am aware that there is a big detecting association here in Spain and a great many clubs, I visited our nearest on one occasion last year which is just north Murcia.

Jeff

Jeff Andrews
09-07-2008, 02:52 PM
For Mandrakeelmago,

To read a field test report on the Xterra 70 do a search for 'joan allen electronics' (Metal Detectors) When opened on the first page you will see a column of grey boxes, double click on 'Field Test Reports' ( 12th one down) then choose the Xterra 70.

Any problems get back to me.

Jeff

supershaw
09-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Hi Would be interested in forming a club or joining up with someone for a day out etc.I live in Albatera,but no probs travelling.I have a Minelab ExplorerXS and was a member of the Bolton Prospectors club until I came here 6 yrs ago.

rodtoms
09-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Hello
from the 1st thread I started on this.....BAD NEWS
we were due to move to Torrevieja this september and start a new life over there, subject to selling our UK house. Due to the credit crunch in the Uk, the buyers can no longer get a mortgage, so the deal has fallen through.
so my beach metal detecting days have been put on hold for the time being.
I cant wait to join up with you as soon as we sell the house.
Leave some beach coins for me.
Rod

Jeff Andrews
09-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Hi Rod,

Good luck with the house sale.

Jeff

Jeff Andrews
09-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Hi Supershaw,

Didn't we meet and chat on Guadamar beach last year or poosibly the year before, you wrote down my name and telephone number in the back of a little book that you had with you?

Jeff

mixerman
03-18-2010, 09:02 PM
I know this is an old thread, but is there any groups or individuals who share this hobby of ours?

rodtoms
03-19-2010, 08:52 AM
Hy Mixerman

I move to Torrevieja permanently in 2 weeks time.
Ill gladly come metal detecting with you as its been a while since I had a go although ive been doing it on and off in the uk since 1976.I would also like to see this hobby being taken up by others so that we can get a club going.
cheers
Rod

rodtoms
03-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Hi Rod,

Good luck with the house sale.

Jeff

The sale fell through last year but now we have sold again and we move out permanently in the next 2 weeks.I see you have your detector for sale,have you given up detecting ???you live just up the road from where im moving to.
cheers
Rod

rodtoms
08-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Hy Jeff
have you still got your metal detector ???