Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie - Need information on areas and schools pleaseeeeeeee

thank you for your reply... I have heard that about bullying but I want him to go to international school as I said before I really do not want him to fall behind in case we come back... I would probably get them extra spanish lessons...

Thanks for the tips about the sports centres...

Another concern I have is that quite a few people have said about break ins, muggings etc... I know like everywhere there is areas to avoid but do you feel safe there?? Is is the spanish or others who commit these crimes? and is it really as bad as people have stated, not sure if I could sleep at night if i thought people were outside patrolling my house looking for ways to break in

Hi Gilly,

Also you can get the majority of the local free news papers on line which will give you an idea about Crime rate, inflation, house prices etc.
    coastrider, roundtown news, euro weekly, The Leader(you could search newspapers in torrevieja and these will come up).

For more rural then you would be looking at areas like San miguel de salinas(they have a website)Los Montisinos, some areas of Guardamar are nice also. Oh! just thought they have got an new international school down towards Murcia also and you may consider murcia area as some areas there are more rural. Depends on a lot...how close or how important it is to be near your friends/Torrevieja/employment for you and your partner/future employment for your children. A small drive away you have areas such as Elche and Rojales and Almoradi. My spanish friend travels each day from Rojales to work in Torrevieja so the drive cannot be that bad. The road system is great and truthfully its only 50 minutes from here to Ikea in Murcia. Of course Alicante is only 40 minutes.
    I would certainly look at the Murcia region given my time again. The existing airport services the area well, its a little more spanish in my opinion and having searched, the house prices seem more reasonable.A new airport has been approved more inland also.

Concerning the crime rate.....well thats the million dollar question. I have been here over 2 years and feel safe. We have witnessed handbag snatches/stealing at local bars/restaurants but we have been very lucky on our urbanisation that the crime is very petty...I have not been a victim although very nearly was when in the summer of 2005, whilst my mom was at home, a lady walked straight into my house(both my dogs didnt hear her)...when questioned she asked if the property was for sale and when told no she just left. Could have been a mistake????NO, she went to my cousins house 2 doors up and walked straight in and asked if she had any cleaning jobs available. In my opionion she was looking for the opportunity to steal quick things like handbags,mobiles etc. When you consider that a bar job for example here pays approx 5 euros per hour you can see that if they are aware that you have just moved in or you are holidaying here(towels left out/windows and doors open/lilos left in garden) they know there is money. To try their luck and get 50 euros saves them a lot of work when you consider it. It depends what your use to really as I know in the UK in the evening I would have locked everything up and left a light on. I would have also had an alarm and all the other trappings back in the UK. Again in my opionion I do not feel that it is the spanish. I have been fortunate to meet lots of great people, english & spanish etc and the spanish people are lovely...they wouldnt harm anyone and infact cannot do enough to help you...they invite you in for drinks free food etc. Of course not all of the spanish are like that....but neither are the english!

Research, reasearch, research.....

If you are over in the next few weeks...let me know where and we can go for a coffee. If you supply me with your email I will email you directly.

Sarah

Would be interested to know if you feel Murcia is a lower crime area than the torrevieja area... Our problem is we do live in a safe area where you can leave your front door open and cars open at night, not many places like this exist anymore I know... I have pm you Sarah..

it would not let me do it.. my e mail address is theminnicans@dsl.pipex.com

Hi, Reading your text compelled me to add my own experiences, as we are in a similar situation to your self. We too live in a quiet safe area of Oxford, have a very comfortable life , with a 9 year old daughter who attends a very small village school. We bought our house in San Pedro Del Pinatar 3 years ago, initially as a holiday home , but on spending more and more time there , decided to re-locate permanently. We considered this for a while, and when a business opportunity came along we decided to throw caution to the wind and go for it. At the end of the day, you can always go back.
    We had a look at the schools and opted for the newly opened international school in San Pedro , which my daughter has been given a tour of and simply cannot wait to attend (massive weight off the shoulders).The school only opened in September and she will be the tenth person in her class. Maybe it would be worth having a look around this area. In our few years of visiting we have seen a change from very quiet and rural like qualities to a blend of more Brits residing permanently on the new urbs just outside the town. The beauty being that the town is an old Spanish town that still has kept its identity without being over run by urbs as far as the eye can see .I hope this has been of some assistance .

thank you it does help... its hard and you think what are we doing as we do have a very comfortable lifestyle here but like you say we can always come back.. Will look into this area you are suggesting and the school.. The kids are the most important and I must feel safe...

Be interested to here how you are getting on, is it this September you are going???

All the advice so far regarding schooling so far is ok, but I would just like to add a few liitle comments of my own! We lived in Spain for over three years and when we moved across my kids were 8 and 9. We put them stright into Spanish school in Rojales (which has always had a bit of a reputation unfortunately!). There is a problem in the primary and secondary schools in Rojales, and most other schools in the Torrevieja area, but 99.9 percent of this behaviour comes from British children (suprise suprise!). I have to say though that I have nothing but praise for the teachers, and the level of education they gave. They do struggle to deal effectively with bullying, simply because Spanish people on the whole tend to have more respect for their peers and elders than British people do, and Spanish teachers cannot really undrestand the mentalityt behind bullying, and therefore how to react to it!All children are different though so you will know in your heart whether your child will be happier in a British school or a Spanish school, but remember that in the fee paying schools the children do not tend to pick up the language as well as ones who go to state schools, Another point to think about is that until you get over to Spain, you cant really tell how much money you will be earning, and therefore how much you will be able to pay for private schooling. If you go over with some money behind you, and then find that you struggle financially, it will be a big shock to your child to be taken out of school and plonked down into a state school!This happened to a friend of mine, and her son was trumatised!
    Also, think very very carefully before you go to Spain to live permanently.Once the honeymoon period is over, things can get quite difficuly as I know too well from experience! It can get very lonely there, away from family, and I also did not have many friends - alot of people are retired, and into different things! Also, my children started to get very bored, as there is not the same types of things for them to do over there, and friends they go to school with often live miles away. We found it very difficult to make enough money over there, and certainly house prices are getting stupid (if you need to sell, it is very stagnant at the momentaswell)
    We have just moved back to the U.K ( are you stupid, I hear you all yell!!), but I am happier than I have been in a long time. Back with my family and friends,and walking straight into employment. The kids are really h`ppy, and the school is putting them in for their Spanish G.C.S.E's in June (they are 12 and 13!) which I am confident they will pass! Their level of education is equal if not slightly higher than their new class mates, so they haven't suffered whilst being in the Spanish system thank goodness! Ok, I admit, England is a pretty scummy place, in parts, but its not as bad as I thought it would be, and lets face it, there are an awful lot of louts and scumbags appearing over in Spain, I'm sure most people will reluctantly agree?
    I'm not trying to put a damper on things, just advising you to thing long and hard before you come over - if you have a nice cosy happy life in England it may all become a bit jaded after a couple of years in Spain, but, yes you have to try things in life for yourself! I am glad we went over and did it while we were still young. We enjoyed life in Spain, and have lots of great memories, and the kids have loads of British and Spanish friends that I will encourage them to keep in touch with (thank goodness for msn and skype!!), and I an glad that they have a second language

Castelar College in San Pedro is a beautiful school. What I like about it is the amount of Spanish children who go there. I think most of the current student body are Spanish although lessons are taught in English. Its a fantastic school.

Default Lamata & Stuff

Hi

I live in Lamata, and my son attends the British school for Alicante, email with any questions you would like me to answer (I also own a Estate agency by the way)

Regards

Rayzoray

Thank you for your honesty, I realise its not going to be easy and this is making our decision hard for us, as there must be as many people stay as go back and we will have to weigh this all up when we make our final decision...

But I do think one life, even if we give it a year and it does not work out then we come back at least we have tried... but we will see..

I do appreciate people comments and people taking the time to tell me this stuff as it helps so much...

Thank you about the replay about the other school I will look into that one... Do you know if they are keen on sports and how much it plays a in the life of school please...

thank you..xx

Marcadores