Newbie - Need information on areas and schools pleaseeeeeeee

Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

thank you it does help... its hard and you think what are we doing as we do have a very comfortable lifestyle here but like you say we can always come back.. Will look into this area you are suggesting and the school.. The kids are the most important and I must feel safe...

Be interested to here how you are getting on, is it this September you are going???

Comentario

All the advice so far regarding schooling so far is ok, but I would just like to add a few liitle comments of my own! We lived in Spain for over three years and when we moved across my kids were 8 and 9. We put them stright into Spanish school in Rojales (which has always had a bit of a reputation unfortunately!). There is a problem in the primary and secondary schools in Rojales, and most other schools in the Torrevieja area, but 99.9 percent of this behaviour comes from British children (suprise suprise!). I have to say though that I have nothing but praise for the teachers, and the level of education they gave. They do struggle to deal effectively with bullying, simply because Spanish people on the whole tend to have more respect for their peers and elders than British people do, and Spanish teachers cannot really undrestand the mentalityt behind bullying, and therefore how to react to it!All children are different though so you will know in your heart whether your child will be happier in a British school or a Spanish school, but remember that in the fee paying schools the children do not tend to pick up the language as well as ones who go to state schools, Another point to think about is that until you get over to Spain, you cant really tell how much money you will be earning, and therefore how much you will be able to pay for private schooling. If you go over with some money behind you, and then find that you struggle financially, it will be a big shock to your child to be taken out of school and plonked down into a state school!This happened to a friend of mine, and her son was trumatised!
      Also, think very very carefully before you go to Spain to live permanently.Once the honeymoon period is over, things can get quite difficuly as I know too well from experience! It can get very lonely there, away from family, and I also did not have many friends - alot of people are retired, and into different things! Also, my children started to get very bored, as there is not the same types of things for them to do over there, and friends they go to school with often live miles away. We found it very difficult to make enough money over there, and certainly house prices are getting stupid (if you need to sell, it is very stagnant at the momentaswell)
      We have just moved back to the U.K ( are you stupid, I hear you all yell!!), but I am happier than I have been in a long time. Back with my family and friends,and walking straight into employment. The kids are really h`ppy, and the school is putting them in for their Spanish G.C.S.E's in June (they are 12 and 13!) which I am confident they will pass! Their level of education is equal if not slightly higher than their new class mates, so they haven't suffered whilst being in the Spanish system thank goodness! Ok, I admit, England is a pretty scummy place, in parts, but its not as bad as I thought it would be, and lets face it, there are an awful lot of louts and scumbags appearing over in Spain, I'm sure most people will reluctantly agree?
      I'm not trying to put a damper on things, just advising you to thing long and hard before you come over - if you have a nice cosy happy life in England it may all become a bit jaded after a couple of years in Spain, but, yes you have to try things in life for yourself! I am glad we went over and did it while we were still young. We enjoyed life in Spain, and have lots of great memories, and the kids have loads of British and Spanish friends that I will encourage them to keep in touch with (thank goodness for msn and skype!!), and I an glad that they have a second language

Comentario

Castelar College in San Pedro is a beautiful school. What I like about it is the amount of Spanish children who go there. I think most of the current student body are Spanish although lessons are taught in English. Its a fantastic school.

Comentario

Lamata & Stuff

Hi

I live in Lamata, and my son attends the British school for Alicante, email with any questions you would like me to answer (I also own a Estate agency by the way)

Regards

Rayzoray

Comentario

Thank you for your honesty, I realise its not going to be easy and this is making our decision hard for us, as there must be as many people stay as go back and we will have to weigh this all up when we make our final decision...

But I do think one life, even if we give it a year and it does not work out then we come back at least we have tried... but we will see..

I do appreciate people comments and people taking the time to tell me this stuff as it helps so much...

Thank you about the replay about the other school I will look into that one... Do you know if they are keen on sports and how much it plays a in the life of school please...

thank you..xx

Comentario

Hi

Joeybaby....I agree one hundred percent and I am pleased you have made the move back and its gone well for you.

My thoughts and experiences exactly.

Comentario

sounds like a lot of people want to come back...

Comentario

Hi Gilly , We will be moving as soon as our house is sold in U.K . The school was built in 9 months with a pool to follow. As far as sport goes ,after a meeting with the head mistress we came away with the impression that it was mainly water sport orientated. They have a new minibus that takes the pupils to the Mar Menor for sport and other outdoor lessons .Also a short distance away near the salt lakes is a conservation and educational facility , which a lot of local schools use for field trips.
                  At the school we were assured that our daughter would be brought up to speed with her Spanish as an absolute necessity.As much extra instruction as necessary would be built in to her timetable.
                  As far as being safe goes , I have not heard of any thing too bad around our urb. The usual rules apply here as in the U.K.

Comentario

Thank you for your reply...... did you look into other schools too just wondered what other information you may have...

Comentario

Trabajando...
                    X