Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• Newbie - Need information on areas and schools pleaseeeeeeee

Hi to everyone... I have been reading your forums with interest and goodness they are so helpful... We are currently living in Gloucestershire in not so sunny England and have friends who have recently moved to spain who live in La Mata... I just wanted to check a few things with you guys and would appreciate your input as I cant find the answers to my questions anywhere but you probably have been asked loads of times...
    The most important thing for us is our children aged 6 and 10... I believe there is an International school in Elche and wondered if anyone knew anything about it... Both my children are very sporty and if we have to pay for their education this is not a problem but just want the best for them so wondered if you know from experienced the best schools in the area as this would define where we would live... Also the best areas to live, our friends really rate La Mata area and we would ideally love to be in the countryside but dont want to be too isolated and would ideally like the best of both worlds... So please your advice would be so appreciated, we really want somewhere safe to live - is crime a problem over there or just in certain areas like everywhere else in the world - is it the spanish or others who cause the problems and where do they live...

I know with the schools they say to put them in local schools but just in case things dont work out I really dont want them a year behind with their education as my little lad struggles enough as he is the youngest in his class and if we had to come back it would be very hard for him... Unless of course you can recommend an excellant school - thank you guys in advance...

Also is there any english churches, baptist or church of england or similar..

I am sure I have lots more questions (know I have ) but just these for now........ thank you again...xxxxxxxxxx

I have spent hours trying to find information about international schools in the area... Would really appreciate reports you have heard whether schools have a good name or not ... We are going over in a couple of weeks to look round and keep finding a very mixed review on certain schools but they are quite dated...I have looked on other forums too... So confused, I have a headache... Sorry would really appreciate any information good or bad about international schools in the area or neighbouring areas thank you..

Comentario

Thank you for this... I have these and have looked them all up but wondered if anyone had any experience or knowledge of these schools.... any information welcomed.. thank you..

Comentario

hi,

My son was 10 when we came to spain and I did put him straight into spanish school for about 4 months.
        He did really struggle.

I then sought an international school which taught spanish so as to give him a basic understanding...my thoughts were to improve his spanish and I am lucky that he mixed with spanish children also outside of school so after 12months naturally his spanish had improved so that he was not so intimidated.
        This September I put him back into the spanish system and quite frankly its the worse thing I did. The spanish school are very strict and my son was constantly put out side the classroom for speaking when he wasnt...even his english friends have told me he hadnt done anything....he was being bullied and the school thought that him not having the right equipment was more important than a bullying issue. He took German as well as French and Spanish...which he is enjoying however no German teacher turned up for the first 3 months!My opinion....if the teachers cannot be bothered what do they expect the kids will think. They simply do not care for your child and on one occassion I sat for over 2 hours to speak with his form tutor who didnt turn up and when I did finally get him to speak with, he had no idea who my son was!!

I personally do not rate the spanish schools care for your children, and their answer to it is quite simple....we have too many children of too many languages and we cannot cope???The tutor said although he took german, no german teacher was available so my son just sat and did nothing, not even attended to during these lessons.

My son attended the International school Mar Azul and I would not have a bad word said against them. Their care of the children is second to non and the teachers care for your child like their own. They concern themselves with every step of your childs education and not just the money. All the teachers are approachable and Mar Azul have great plans to improve the facilities available for the children. The fees are more reasonable than the other schools and your child(ren), certainly my son, felt it was home from home and could not wait to attend each morning.

Hope it helps.

Sarah

Comentario

Thank you Sarah I really appreciate your reply so much.... Funny enough I really liked the look of that school and have emailed them for more details... I was wondering when they finish their building work as their web site has not been updated for sometime... You have actually said exactly what I wanted to hear and thought after trawling forums... We live in the Cotswold in England and they go to a lovely village school and thats why I was drawn to this school... What are their sports factilities etc like my daughter who is 10 and my son are mad about running, tennis and swimming????

What areas would you suggest to live, I really do not want to live in a busy town but obviously want to live within travelling distance of this school... What are the good areas and what are the bad...

Thank you again... much appreciated.. Gillyxxx

Comentario

Whilst I dont agree with all that has been said about Spanish Schools I do agree 100% about Mar Azul.

Comentario

excellant.. thank you so much... any more information would be appreciated.... is this schools buidling work finished

Comentario

Comentario

Hi Sarah... Thank you so much again for your advice.. Its all kind of a mind field and must admit such a big move in the darkness of the night I think I must be mad as we have a good life here but its something we have always wanted to do and if it does not work then we will come back...

We are quite lucky with the fact my husbands friend is living with spanish girl near torrevieja and funny enough moving out to La Mata as they really like there so we are due to come over in a few weeks for our first look around without the children for a couple of intense days so I need to narrow down where to look etc... Thats why your help is so valuable as they do not have kids so will not really understand all our needs...

I have contacted the school but as yet they have not come back to me.. As I would like to meet them and have a look round.. Do you know roughly when they are hoping to finish the building work??

Where we live at the moment is very rural and with my children growing up, I appreciate what you are saying about being near stuff that is going on as we are starting to feel it now especially with my daughter who is 10.. Ideally I would love to live somewhere that has a country feel but has restraurants you can walk to and stuff for the kids to get involved in and nearer enough they can have friends back to tea, I would not want to live in a busy town but its still nice to be within a short drive to one so dont know if that narrows down the different places to live.. I love animals and would love to get somewhere with land eventually... But we will without doubt rent for at least a year before we commit to buy..

The other school I have seen mentioned on site is El Limonar in Villamartin, do you think I should visit this school too??

Thank you again Sarah for your help..

Comentario

Comentario

thank you for your reply... I have heard that about bullying but I want him to go to international school as I said before I really do not want him to fall behind in case we come back... I would probably get them extra spanish lessons...

Thanks for the tips about the sports centres...

Another concern I have is that quite a few people have said about break ins, muggings etc... I know like everywhere there is areas to avoid but do you feel safe there?? Is is the spanish or others who commit these crimes? and is it really as bad as people have stated, not sure if I could sleep at night if i thought people were outside patrolling my house looking for ways to break in

Comentario

Hi Gilly,

Also you can get the majority of the local free news papers on line which will give you an idea about Crime rate, inflation, house prices etc.
                        coastrider, roundtown news, euro weekly, The Leader(you could search newspapers in torrevieja and these will come up).

For more rural then you would be looking at areas like San miguel de salinas(they have a website)Los Montisinos, some areas of Guardamar are nice also. Oh! just thought they have got an new international school down towards Murcia also and you may consider murcia area as some areas there are more rural. Depends on a lot...how close or how important it is to be near your friends/Torrevieja/employment for you and your partner/future employment for your children. A small drive away you have areas such as Elche and Rojales and Almoradi. My spanish friend travels each day from Rojales to work in Torrevieja so the drive cannot be that bad. The road system is great and truthfully its only 50 minutes from here to Ikea in Murcia. Of course Alicante is only 40 minutes.
                        I would certainly look at the Murcia region given my time again. The existing airport services the area well, its a little more spanish in my opinion and having searched, the house prices seem more reasonable.A new airport has been approved more inland also.

Concerning the crime rate.....well thats the million dollar question. I have been here over 2 years and feel safe. We have witnessed handbag snatches/stealing at local bars/restaurants but we have been very lucky on our urbanisation that the crime is very petty...I have not been a victim although very nearly was when in the summer of 2005, whilst my mom was at home, a lady walked straight into my house(both my dogs didnt hear her)...when questioned she asked if the property was for sale and when told no she just left. Could have been a mistake????NO, she went to my cousins house 2 doors up and walked straight in and asked if she had any cleaning jobs available. In my opionion she was looking for the opportunity to steal quick things like handbags,mobiles etc. When you consider that a bar job for example here pays approx 5 euros per hour you can see that if they are aware that you have just moved in or you are holidaying here(towels left out/windows and doors open/lilos left in garden) they know there is money. To try their luck and get 50 euros saves them a lot of work when you consider it. It depends what your use to really as I know in the UK in the evening I would have locked everything up and left a light on. I would have also had an alarm and all the other trappings back in the UK. Again in my opionion I do not feel that it is the spanish. I have been fortunate to meet lots of great people, english & spanish etc and the spanish people are lovely...they wouldnt harm anyone and infact cannot do enough to help you...they invite you in for drinks free food etc. Of course not all of the spanish are like that....but neither are the english!

Research, reasearch, research.....

If you are over in the next few weeks...let me know where and we can go for a coffee. If you supply me with your email I will email you directly.

Sarah

Comentario

Would be interested to know if you feel Murcia is a lower crime area than the torrevieja area... Our problem is we do live in a safe area where you can leave your front door open and cars open at night, not many places like this exist anymore I know... I have pm you Sarah..

Comentario

it would not let me do it.. my e mail address is theminnicans@dsl.pipex.com

Comentario

Hi, Reading your text compelled me to add my own experiences, as we are in a similar situation to your self. We too live in a quiet safe area of Oxford, have a very comfortable life , with a 9 year old daughter who attends a very small village school. We bought our house in San Pedro Del Pinatar 3 years ago, initially as a holiday home , but on spending more and more time there , decided to re-locate permanently. We considered this for a while, and when a business opportunity came along we decided to throw caution to the wind and go for it. At the end of the day, you can always go back.
                              We had a look at the schools and opted for the newly opened international school in San Pedro , which my daughter has been given a tour of and simply cannot wait to attend (massive weight off the shoulders).The school only opened in September and she will be the tenth person in her class. Maybe it would be worth having a look around this area. In our few years of visiting we have seen a change from very quiet and rural like qualities to a blend of more Brits residing permanently on the new urbs just outside the town. The beauty being that the town is an old Spanish town that still has kept its identity without being over run by urbs as far as the eye can see .I hope this has been of some assistance .

Comentario

Trabajando...
                              X