Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• Your expertise is required!

Hi ... this looks like it could be a long one, but i'll try setting it out as clearly as possible.

My husband and I are considering (my dream) moving to Spain at some point in the future (within 2-3 years). Although my Spanish is currently only 'holiday level' I am teaching myself and plan to take a course next year offered through a University.

I realise that most people on this forum either would like to or do live in Torrevieja or the surrounding areas, but I realise some have moved there from or have previously considered other parts of Spain.
    We would be looking for somewhere fairly Spanish, moving to an urbanisation full of Brits/holidaymakers is not my preference. I would like to live in a Spanish community where people live all year.

However, due to health issues I would prefer not to live too far inland as I know it can get very cold in winter the further inland you move and sifflingly hot in summer - with lots more bugs! Does anyone have any experience of a good Spanish area with decent year-round weather or can anyone suggest any??

My husband is a web developer (not designer, he's the guy who actually writes all the code behind websites, the designer then makes it all look good). I realise Spain has the internet and many businesses will use companies to set up and manage their websites but is anyone aware whether there are few/many companies in Spain where he could look for work (where we decided to live would also depend on where he might be able to get work). I know that many jobs could depend on his level of Spanish at the time, however for now I am just interested in knowing what the demand is, as I know the demand in the UK is very high.
    If he was to continue to work for his UK boss, from home in Spain, what implications might this have on recidencia, tax, health, pension etc.

My husband is 26, I am 25 - we both pay tax/NI, what is the health service like in Spain as far as free health care (nhs equivalent) or is there no kinda system and would we need to pay for private?

We currently have no children (not sure what the next couple of years might produce!) but would like to move to Spain before kids or whilst any that come along are still very young, so Spanish state schooling (language barriers) would be no issue for them. However, the state system in the UK is dire, I've heard that it's better in Spain, can anyone shed any light on the level of education in a Spanish state school compared to the UK or compared to paying for a private school in Spain?

If anyone could help me out at all by answering any of this or pointing me in the right direction I would really appreciate it, thanks!

Like I said - sorry it's fairly long!!!!!!!

Re: Your expertise is required!

Originalmente publicado por Mrs_T
    Hi ... this looks like it could be a long one, but i'll try setting it out as clearly as possible.
    +It is well set out, thanks.

My husband and I are considering (my dream) moving to Spain at some point in the future (within 2-3 years). Although my Spanish is currently only 'holiday level' I am teaching myself and plan to take a course next year offered through a University.
    ++The more you learn the better. There is a free basic course offered on www.thisisspain.info which might take you to the next level if you are to live and work in a Spanish environment you need to start working on this NOW! We are also soon going to start a free daily Spanish lesson on-line!

I realise that most people on this forum either would like to or do live in Torrevieja or the surrounding areas, but I realise some have moved there from or have previously considered other parts of Spain.
    We would be looking for somewhere fairly Spanish, moving to an urbanisation full of Brits/holidaymakers is not my preference. I would like to live in a Spanish community where people live all year.

++Honestly you do not need to move too far from the airport to be in "Real Spain". Elche, Alicante City, San Juan all fit your bill.

However, due to health issues I would prefer not to live too far inland as I know it can get very cold in winter the further inland you move and sifflingly hot in summer - with lots more bugs! Does anyone have any experience of a good Spanish area with decent year-round weather or can anyone suggest any??

My husband is a web developer (not designer, he's the guy who actually writes all the code behind websites, the designer then makes it all look good). I realise Spain has the internet

++debateable!!

and many businesses will use companies to set up and manage their websites but is anyone aware whether there are few/many companies in Spain where he could look for work (where we decided to live would also depend on where he might be able to get work).

++ depending what languages/scripts/codes he knows he could probably get work on Monday. Send me his CV!

I know that many jobs could depend on his level of Spanish at the time, however for now I am just interested in knowing what the demand is, as I know the demand in the UK is very high.

++REMEMBER he will work for a fraction of what he gets in the UK.

If he was to continue to work for his UK boss, from home in Spain, what implications might this have on recidencia, tax, health, pension etc.

++Lots of grey areas.

My husband is 26, I am 25 - we both pay tax/NI, what is the health service like in Spain as far as free health care (nhs equivalent) or is there no kinda system and would we need to pay for private?

++WOWOWOW. You need to do your homework. The health service here is MAGNIFICENT. (This from someone who sadly has intimate knowledge of it!) At your ages and being legal I see NO reason to go private.

We currently have no children (not sure what the next couple of years might produce!) but would like to move to Spain before kids or whilst any that come along are still very young, so Spanish state schooling (language barriers) would be no issue for them. However, the state system in the UK is dire, I've heard that it's better in Spain, can anyone shed any light on the level of education in a Spanish state school compared to the UK or compared to paying for a private school in Spain?

++Go to www.thisisspain.info and you will get masses of info re schooling/education etc etc

If anyone could help me out at all by answering any of this or pointing me in the right direction I would really appreciate it, thanks!

++Please feel free to e-mail me off group if you want further info.

Like I said - sorry it's fairly long!!!!!!!

Os deseo mucha suerte!

Comentario

However, the state system in the UK is dire, I've heard that it's better in Spain,
      In my experience the Spanish system is far far worse than the UK. That is at High school level anyway.

Comentario

Thanks Steve, very helpful and thanks others for the pointers.

Steve, from what you've said I just wanted to ask a further few questions if you don't mind. From what I've read through on this forum, it would appear you've been in Spain a good number of years and have a lot of first-hand experience which is of help to people.

You mentioned the health care system - I had been under the impression that, at our age, we would have no problems with the Spanish health system, but have been informed on a number of occassions that I was wrong and that we'd have to pay a lot for the pleasure.

When you say he'd work for a fraction of what he could get in the UK, what sorta figure might you be basing that on? At the moment he's being paid a fair bit under what he should be, but he loves his job and he joined a company where he knows it can go somewhere and he can be part of that. In saying that, he's had 2 pay rises in this past yr and a half so it's not all bad ... and we've got enough to live on. He has a degree in Software Engineering (2:1) and 5 years experience in Industry (inc a placement year). I could go on about the languages/scripts etc. he uses but that's just wasting board space. I would have said more, pointed you towards some of his work etc. if the board would have let me PM you!!

You don't happen to know which direction I should look in to find out about some of the 'grey areas' you mentioned in the case of him still working for his UK boss?

As far as the language goes, I would plan to be at a level where I could be understood and understand both written and spoken Spanish, however I don't think it's possible to really become fluent until you're using it in every-day life on a daily basis - there's no other way to know how things are said, cos let's face it, so much of what we say in the English language is so far from the English someone might learn with a language course! And i know it also varies from region to region - different people say things in different ways. But to pick that up, we'd definately need to have a firm grasp on the grammar/language as a whole!

Scorpio - can you tell me a little more about your experience then rather than just state that you feel the Spanish system isn't so good as the British? What makes you say that? Have you had experience of both? In what ways do they compare??

Harry - thanks for the tip on the other website - yet more posts to trawl through in the hope of picking up more useful information!

Comentario

Scorpio - can you tell me a little more about your experience then rather than just state that you feel the Spanish system isn't so good as the British? What makes you say that? Have you had experience of both? In what ways do they compare??
          Yes I have. I have 2 daughters who were aged 11 and 16 when we arrived in Spain. So one was about to start her "secondary" education and one had just finished hers. Our eldest came out of school with very sound GCSE results and a fine education. The youngest is very attentive and eager, however the teachers in Spain are totally disinterested, they class British kids (any many other nationalities come to that) as lazy and ignorant and think that NONE of them want to learn. She tried and tried, we tried too but after 3 years realised it was a waste of time and moved back to the UK for the sake of our youngest. She is now in College in the UK and doing fantastically well. The only thing she got out going to school in Spain is that she is totally fluent in written and spoken Spanish, which is one thing that makes us feel less guilty for putting her through the experience in the first place.

Comentario

Thanks Scorpio, that's much clearer now
            Sorry to hear that things didn't go so well for your kids, although it's always gotta be a benefit being fluent in another language!! It could open up lots of paths for her in the future.

I'm not sure if it might be the same experience for us though, if we were to have kids whilst living in Spain, yeah their parents would be British, but the kids would be as Spanish as possible with British parents!! Not sure if that would make a difference, but it might.

Is that generally the case with Spanish teachers and British kids or could it have been just a localised area??

Comentario

Comentario

Trabajando...
              X