X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

Cafe/bar

Originalmente publicado por Steve B
    This is a fantastic to live. If you are in no rush to find your business why not come down and rent for 3 - 6 months and allow yourself time to really get to know the area. It is a buyers market here and the money you can save on a well established property will not only cover the rent you will have just paid out but will go a long way to helping you find your ideal business venture if it is here. GOOD LUCK and dont let some of the doom and gloom you hear put you off.
    Hi Thanks Steve, we are coming over on the 5th Nov to have a good look around. As I have said before we do not intend to rush into buying anything. We do have a shop here in the UK and know how hard it is to run a business.

Comentario

Hello Flanny I will not try to tell you what to do as far as your business adventure is concerned..but you were saying you would like to buy a property in Torrevieja and that the companies are showing you places outside of town. Don't they always !!
      Well I have a two bedroom 4 year old apartment with shared pool in perfect condition for sale right in the centre of town. If you have looked around Torre it is near the main church square which is lovely and really busy all year round unlike the urbanisations and commercial centres. It is also 5 mins walk to the marina and 10 mins to the beach.

I am not wanting out of Torrevieja I just want a 3 Bedroom apartment instead...We do not live there but I get out 5 times a year at least and love the place .

We are asking around 115,000 euros or nearest offer, if you are interested let me know on this forum which I have just joined and I will workout how to give you my email address which I don't know how to do yet !I have some really good pics of the apartment !! Anne

Comentario

There are so many " gift" shops in Torrevieja that I would be very careful an do lots of research. I have never even worked for myself never mind run a shop but I have eyes. You only have to walk around Torrevieja to see a multitude of these type of shops, many open for 14 hours or more each day.

Comentario

I have been back more than 6 years now - speak Spanish and am very well connected around town through TIBA, BGE, The Torry Army, Los Costaleros, This Is Spain, Newcomers Club etc so I see plenty of what goes on.

In the 1990s I also owned a bar. I was lucky - we were smack between two timeshare resorts and I was the only bar of 6 that spoken Swedish and German and the only day bar that spoke Spanish. We just about survived - although it cost me my marriage.

Owning a bar here? You may as well flush your money straight down the tube. I can hardly think of one single English bar that thrives, I struggle to think of a handful that survive but can tell you of literally HUNDREDS that have closed in the past 5 years - MAINLY expat bars. The Spanish bars do better. There are over 1200 licensed establishments in Torrevieja alone (Excluding OC, Quesada etc) and the town does not need another one I assure you. Just walk around any commercial centre outside the summer months and you will see empty tables and empty tills.

IF IF IF you speak Spanish (and preferably Swedish/Norwegian and/or German, have quality experience in the catering industry, can get a RENTAL (not a traspaso) in an established area then you MAY survive. Otherwise .................................

More than 50% of people of working age return within 3 years and unless you have a bottomless pit I fear that without the above you would join the list.

I cannot think of a single English bar on Torreta 2 or 3 that has not changed hands at least once since I have been here. I was in La Mosca for 2 hours on a Sunday evening about 6 weeks ago - I don't think there were 20 customers in the ten (?) bar/restaurants. Several were not even open. With the rents there you would need to be full 24/7 to even survive.

A shop? I'd give that better odds but you need to work loooooooooooooooooooooong hours for tint margins. The two nearest "supermarkets" to me have closed recently - one was only open 12 (?)months.

What would work? The Spanish seem to do fine as notaries, solicitors, insurance agents (NOT estate agents) and my doctor, dentist always seems busy. Of course, for these you would need fluent Spanish and/or the necessary experience/qualifications.

I have decided that this is a magnificent place to retire or live if you do not need to earn locally but as for starting a business here I have undoubtedly seen more fail than survive.

Sorry to be the carrier of ill news but I guess you would prefer to go in with your eyes open.

I have written more about this

Whatever you chose I wish you every success.

Comentario

I can agree with you Steve ( and we know each other from way back) at some height but you never know which persons will come along. My experience tells me that English bars on a good location are always full whatever season but the location is important. We live here already 6,5 years and we have seen people come and go but I know there is some perseverance and of course some cash back involved. But you can steal somebody's dream but not their hope. So for those who want to go ahead I wish them all the best! It is not easy but doable.

Comentario

Well nice to meet you again - whoever you are!!!

No way do I want to steal someone's dream - NOT my style BUT you have to give people enough information to base their dreams on.

Now, come on give me the names of 6 English bars that work well out of the hundreds here!

I heard today that one bar that had been in the same hands for at least 3/4 years? the Half Way House has been sold at the Quesada petrol station. Now, think on that was the Waikiki before wasn't it? So, 3 owners in 5 years.

The Waikiki on La Siesta roundabout seems to work well and has been in the same hands for 6 years...any more?

Comentario

Well Steve, although we are not British (Belgian, ring a bell!!) , I know the Lounge bar who does well. We live on the outskirts of Torrevieja and we have 2 commercial centres build recently, one of them open already 2 years now and I must say, there are 2 English bars, 1 downstairs and 1 upstairs and they don't seem to do badly. Of course we live and work here, we don't go to a bar every day!
                On Orihuela Costa it is only the English bars who have their clients whatever day or season! Not all of them, I agree, location location!
                You know ex pats tend to frequent their own nationality, so "were" we !
                (not any more! bad experience) I prefer the spanish or the english bars!

Comentario

Yes, the Lounge is a sucess story I think BUT the owner is a professional and spends absolute FORTUNES on promoting and advertising the bar AND then putting on good acts. Good Luck to Tom - he works 24/7.

Aguas Nuevas IS a survivor BUT he closed the one down at Santa Pola.

So we "Might" have two making a profit ........ out of 200+ it's still not good numbers!

El Paraiso ring a bell?

Comentario

bars etc

talking of El Paraisio - do you know if Ranchos (behind Dial Prix) are still going strong and does Nigel Parrish still entertain there on Thursday eves?

Comentario

Hi Steve,

Are you saying that El Paraiso on Urb. Los Angeles has changed owners a lot, or is there another El Paraiso?

Tom

Comentario

I said at an early stage on this thread that I thought Webpage Designers could be in demand given that Spain is behind in Technology. If her husband is a joiner or plumber or something like that, I think those are the things at which one can earn a living in Spain.

Comentario

Comentario

A National Day of Mourning

.....has been called in my household.

The Kashmir on Via Park 5 has called it a day, Kish was one of the nicest/most hard-working guys you could ever hope to meet.

GREAT food, fantastic service but ................... no profits and it has become another casualty.

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por rangertom
                              Hi Steve,

Are you saying that El Paraiso on Urb. Los Angeles has changed owners a lot, or is there another El Paraiso?

Tom
                              El Paraiso is now co-owned by Carlos of "Bar Carlos", which although is owned by Carlos, who is Spanish, its packed most nights with Brits.

Sadly El Paraiso is not doing too well at the moment!

You can never tell with bars, same owner, different venue, different success!

Durx

Comentario

Had Sunday lunch at El Paraiso last week and the food was excellent although sadly the place was pretty quiet. It is run by Jaime who had his own place nearby that is now run by Alan (Bar Alan) who incidentally like Jaime also used to work for Carlos at bar Carlos. Between Carlos and the owner of Mikki`s (spelling ?) bar they own approx 5 bars/restaurants in the Calas Blancas/ Los Angeles area. Quite a risky thing to do in the present times.

Tom

Comentario

Trabajando...
                                X