X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• Personal identification documents

Dear sir
    Could you please inform me as to what identification documents are required to be carried on one´s person under Spanish law.

I ask this question where a non driver and non passport holder would not normally possess photographic identification.

Thank you.

Originalmente publicado por haslar Ver Mensaje
    Dear sir
    Could you please inform me as to what identification documents are required to be carried on one´s person under Spanish law.

I ask this question where a non driver and non passport holder would not normally possess photographic identification.

Thank you.
    This is an old post but I am going to reply after checking the situation with our lawyer. Everyone in Spain must carry government issued ID at all times, regardless of whether we are Spanish, an EU national, or a foreigner living or holidaying in the country. The specific law is Article 4 of Organic Law
    4/2000 which states that foreign nationals in Spain must carry identity documents issued by the country of citizenship.

Thus, if you live in Spain, and you dont have Spanish government issued photo ID, you must carry at all times your own nation,s photo ID, in the
    case of British citizens this means our passport.There is no obligation on the part of authorities in Spain to give you 72 hours or some other reasonable amount of time to present your document. Quite simply, if you do not produce an identity document on demand when asked by law enforcement officers (Policia Nacional, Guardia Civil, Policia Local etc) then you could be detained and fined.

Most officers of the law will let you off with a warning if you dont have your ID on you, but this is not a requirement on their part. In practice they will accept a photo driving licence but they don´t have to. Personally I am willing to take the risk and just carry my driving licence (Spanish). A Notarised copy of your passport might help a bit but does not meet the requirements.

The issue of foreign residents in Spain has never been tested in the European Court of Justice so we need to look at EU directives to find an answer, and directive 2004/38/EC, Official Journal L 158, 30 April 2004 which covers citizenship. Specifically, the directive grants all EU citizens the right to move freely
    within the EU, and without a visa for any purpose. This includes people choosing to reside in Spain. The right of each nation to retain the ability
    to carry out identity checks on demand is reserved to each state, so if you live in Spain, Spanish law WILL apply.

To conclude, if you are in Spain, you must carry a valid ID card or passport at all times, and failure to do so could see the police detain you
    temporarily whilst they ascertain your identity, and furthermore, it is within their rights to issue a fine.

If you do not have a passport or driving licence then unfortunately in these sad days of checking ID and verification procedures you may find difficulties at times and should perhaps apply for a passport for peace of mind and the possibility of avoiding a fine. But in practice and reality, you are unlikely to have a problem.

Comentario

Trabajando...
    X