Anuncio

Colapsar
No hay anuncio todavía.

Another sign of what the PP Council think about Foreigners?

Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• Another sign of what the PP Council think about Foreigners?

Is this another sign of what the PP Council think about Foreigners?

Look at the official website of the PP ruled Orihuela Town Council at http://www.aytoorihuela.es/principal/index.html

I am not sure whether that was a weak attack on the PP or a Party Political Broadcast on behalf of the Greens (Los verdes). irrelevant.

What I do know is that we live in Spain and that whether we like it or not the two co-official langauges of the Valencian Community are valenciano and castellano. Both languages "theoretically" are of equal importance in Orihuela.

Whilst I agree that it would be sensible for any local council anywhere in the world to promote their services in a language a significant percentage of the local population speak I do not think they have an obligation. As an example I checked Bradford West Yorkshire which has a huge immigrant population, Hemel Hempstead with a large new Polish population and Luton, Beds which also has a significant "expat" population. NOTHING in Hindi, Polish, Gujerati or anything!

Why did Brits think that everybody should speak English in the same way that those finding their new homes in the UK accept that they should learn English?

Would it not be better for the PP, PSOE or whoever be focussing on offering quality Spanish language/culture lessons?

Comentario

Steve you are joking aren't you. In political correct Great Britain they bend over backwards for foreigners. Manchester town hall issues information in all languages Hindu Polish Somalian to name a few. They also supply interpreters for immigrants to explain what hand outs they are entitled to.

As a foreigner in Spain I don't expect Spanish councils to issue imformation in different languages to make my life easier.

When in Rome do what the Romans do or Spain will end up like GB.

In the town halls around Political Correct GB you cannot even send Christmas cards to one another for fear of offending Foreigners who have different religions.

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por Steve
        I am not sure whether that was a weak attack on the PP or a Party Political Broadcast on behalf of the Greens (Los verdes). irrelevant.

What I do know is that we live in Spain and that whether we like it or not the two co-official langauges of the Valencian Community are valenciano and castellano. Both languages "theoretically" are of equal importance in Orihuela.

Whilst I agree that it would be sensible for any local council anywhere in the world to promote their services in a language a significant percentage of the local population speak I do not think they have an obligation. As an example I checked Bradford West Yorkshire which has a huge immigrant population, Hemel Hempstead with a large new Polish population and Luton, Beds which also has a significant "expat" population. NOTHING in Hindi, Polish, Gujerati or anything!

Why did Brits think that everybody should speak English in the same way that those finding their new homes in the UK accept that they should learn English?

Would it not be better for the PP, PSOE or whoever be focussing on offering quality Spanish language/culture lessons?
        As a matter of fact, ALL Councils in the UK print every one of their leaflets in more than 15 languages and in addition, pay for interpretors. The Police do also.

AND, as someone who only speaks Spanish while in Spain, I'd like to point out that Spain is a memeber of the EU. Spain has profited enormously from this fact. The Official Language of the EU is English, much to the disain of France!

Comentario

Oh! And by the way, my local library in Edinburgh has a bookcase just inside the doors full of books in Polish and a sign to draw Poles' attention to it. I said, when I saw it, "If I was an immiigrant from anywhere other than Poland, I would be complaining about that." I was told that they DO have books in other languages, too but, as most of the immigrants who use the library (for the free use of the Pc's and the internet) are Poles, they had decided to highlight that.

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por Alyson
            The Official Language of the EU is English, much to the disain of France!
            ABSOLUTE TOTAL GARBAGE - not to put to fine a point on it. French, English, Spanish are co-official languages as are Maltese, Polish and Slovenian and 17 others.

Sometimes, I wonder ......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languag...European_Union

Comentario

Munroist, Alyson....my point was about the websites.

Comentario

Can only agree with you Steve.

It makes me laugh that when People are in UK, Germany, France, Sweden or any northern Country, you hear all the time that they complain about the "Paqis, Turks, Indians, Arabs, Southamericans Etc etc" and that they come to "our" country and they don't even speak the language.
                Well, I do agree with that. The same as when you move to Spain, you learn Spanish. It really is that simple.

I know loads of expats, (Brits, Scandies, Germans..." who lived here for donkeys years and still only know how to order a beer and to ask for the bill. And most of them doesnt know how to spell (not to mention pronounce) the town or village they are living in.

When in rome....

Comentario

Trabajando...
                X