Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• Faced with Climate Change: Act Now!

On the occasion of the presentation of the scientific report of the United Nations on climate change, by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), during the week of 12 to 17 November in Valencia, numerous environmental organizations, unions, social, and citizens of the Spain, call for an electricity blackout on the theme "Faced with Climate Change: Act Now" on 15th November 2007 between 20.00 and 20.05 hours in the evening.

The invitation is open to everyone and calls for the switching off of electricity consumption in homes, workplaces, public and private facilities, and public amenities during those 5 minutes in favour of the planet.

I would ask, wearing my environmentalist hat, as many individuals and entities as possible to join in with this action to draw the attention of society and the institutions on the need to urgently address this serious threat of climate change.

Remember of course not to switch off supplies to any equipment needed for health and safety purposes.

I'm also an Environmentalist and a Historian and I can tell you that the present panic is a load of bollocks. Yes, we may be heading for disaster but there's nothing WE can do about it. The weather has been cyclical since time began.

Comentario

Climate change my arse.

Comentario

Scorpio, dont mince your words, you dont normally.... usually only to stir the s..t.... just a wind up merchant

Comentario

I have to disagree with those that think we are directly responsible for the change in climate, its always been volaltile throughout the worlds history.

the changes we can make through saving energy will be miminal, and ok, we may not have helped our planet in the past, but weather is weather, and it will always be with us, both good and bad.

If anyone fancys a good read, which is also based on a facts relating to climate change - then read State of Fear by Michael Crichton - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Fear

whilst not to be taken as 100% accurate, it does give an idea of how these things occur wrapped up in a good read.

then just follow up on the papers referenced within.

Im not saying we should carry on polluting though, far from it, we really need to clean up our act and the environment, but can we change the way the world works, i doubt it.

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por mbridgie
            Scorpio, dont mince your words, you dont normally.... usually only to stir the s..t.... just a wind up merchant

Excuse me but that was my best Jim Royle impersonation.
            If you have no sense of humour mbridgie I suggest you stay away from this forum and stick to the .co.uk one, I think you fit in better there. Please do not come here causing trouble, it will not be tollerated.

Comentario

Profuse apologies Scorpio for upsetting you. I much prefer the .co.uk site and will continue to post on that site, you obviously view the site and will have seen that I do have a sense of humour. I will however, continue to use this site if I so wish, unless the moderator thinks otherwise.

By the way - only 1 'l' in tolerated.

Comentario

Oh dear, how sad, correcting typographical or spelling mistakes.
                Anyway I shall not make any further comment, I should know better, DO NOT FEED THE TROLL, the first rule of forums and I fell for it.

Comentario

back to the topic then...

Comentario

Durx, despite what I said in my earlier post, I do agree with your last paragraph and, despite knowing that what will be will be regarding weather, I DO recycle as much as I can; use the bus instead of the car for short journeys; use low energy lightbulbs and have had a super-economic condensing gas boiler fitted; etc; etc.

Comentario

Did anyone get any of those free 500 flights from Alicante Ryanair were giving away yesterday.

I hope you can see the link and I know I shouldn't laugh but there is so much contradiction on this topic.

Comentario

climate

I suppose global warming will do for us all, although I think they told us the same about the millenium bug, aids, bse, avian flu etc. etc.?

Comentario

Climate change, what a load of rubbish. The climate has been changeing for centuries. It's scaremongering of the highest order. Gordon Brown is not intrested in the climate, it's just an excuse he can use to collect more taxes.

Comentario

Scorpio I agree with you all these environmentist types wearing yellow dungarees, smoking roll ups and walking about in Jesus sandles saving the world are to be tolerated. I do my bit I put the occasional glass bottle in the recycling thingy, somedays I even walk to the shop, admittedly not often and I have recently changed my car for a more environmentally friendly one with a little 5 litre engine.

Comentario

Trabajando...
                            X