Thread: Arithmetic in Spanish

Default Arithmetic in Spanish

My 6 year old grandson will be coming to Spain to stay at the beginning of July. After reading the correspondence on the old Torrievieja forum about the pros and cons of local schools and bilingual private schools and from talking to mothers who have young children at school we have decided to try to enrol him at a local Spanish school, probably in Pilar de la Horadada, rather than send him to Mar Azul or El Limonar which had been our first inclination.
    We would welcome advice on how best to prepare him for school over the summer months for starting school in September. He can count up to 15 in Spanish and can tell his name and his age and can ask for fruit by name. We encourage him by trying to speak Spanish to him at the table but he gets bored quickly. Any advice on books which might help or are here any children´s language classes over the summer?
    I also need some advice about doing simple arithmetic sums in Spanish such as how one expresses for example 10 take away 3 equals 7 or 3 times 3 equals 9. I am sure I came across the phrases the spanish use in these circumstances but I cannot find them in my language notes so if sks can point me in the right direction I would be grateful
    macg

7 + 3 = 10. Siete MÁS tres SON diez.

10-3 = 7. Diez MENOS tres SON siete.

3 x 3 = 9. Tres POR tres SON nueve
    (or tres MULTIPLICADO POR tres SON nueve)

9 : 3 = 3 Nueve DIVIDIDO POR tres SON tres.

To add = sumar

To take away = restar

To multiply = multiplicar

To divide = dividir.

That's about as far as my maths goes!!

Jane

Also be aware that when a Spanish arithemtic book refers to sumas it means just addition sums, not any sums. My son could hardly believe me when told that sums in English means any type of addition, multiplication, subtraction, etc.

Default Arithmetic in Spanish

Thanks Jane and Beastess,
    I am practising myself before I get my grandson going
    macg

Marcadores