X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• education

Hi

We are moving over to Spain later this year or earlier next year, My grandson will be 7, not sure if it's best to enrol him straight into a spanish school or go mid way & enrol him into an international school.
    The reason for the international school was to give him a chance to catch up on his Spanish, we are bit worried if we put in straight into the Spanish system, he'll be overwhelmed and it'll prove tooo much for him.
    If you've gone through this experience any advise would be appreciated

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

I have posted a lot on th subject of education for children here, so don't want to repeat myself, but my advice would be to put him into a State school. At the age of 7 he will settle in quickly and it will be much better for him to be immersed in Spanish and a lot cheaper for his parents

Try and research the schools that he would go to in the area, ask in the forums for other parents advice on particular schools.

Older than 10 and I would advise an International school, but at 7 he should be fine.

Jan

Comentario

Comentario

Hi Sandra
        We found ourselves in a similar position with a 6 year old grandson coming over this July so although I cannot speak from actual experience I can share with you what we found out and our line of thinking. First of all I would say that different families have different priorities and needs so the solution for one may not be the same for everyone.
        Our first inclination was to go for a international school and I got brochures or made direct contact with a number of schools in the Alicante, Murcia, Torrievieja triangle. On the basis of what I found out, the Lady of Elche School seemed to offer the most child orientated educational opportunities but they have a waiting list. On a visit last year we had a look at the new El Limonar school on the hill above Villamartin. The site and the school is impressive but so are the fees. We also looked at the Mar Azul School. It was not so impressive being on a rather cramped position on a residential complex. I understand they are to be moving to a new location nearby. The fees at Mar Azul are quite reasonable compared to others.
        We read what people had to say about Spanish education on this forum and its predecessor and we also read the piece by Jane C. This coupled with speaking to mothers in different locations in Spain on one of our visits convinced us that if we wanted our Grandson to integrate and become part of the community the best course of action would be for him to go to a spanish local school. The first hand report from one mother of a young boy was quite glowing about the welcome and care her son had received at the local school.
        Also we did not want him at that age being faced with a long bus journey morning and late afternoon.
        We also considered the area to buy a house with this in mind because in certain areas around Torrevieja the influx of so many "foreign" children has put a strain on the educational services. This has resulted in the erecton of "temporary" scool buildings. On a recent visit I had a look at one of them. As an architect by profession I thought that the prefabricated units were possibly better than some of the temporary school huts used in the UK but they are still temporary buildings. Another concern of ours was that schools with a high percentage of expat children have problems which have been documented elsewhere.
        Our reasons for coming to live in Spain are that we like the climate, we like the Spanish people and we like the family values shared by many Spaniards which places value on children and respect for older people. (it is pity about some of there attitudes to animals). As a family it is our intention to remain in Spain.This has influenced our choice of locale and the choice of type of school .
        I hope this is of help.
        macg

Comentario

Comentario

education

Thanks you everyone for taking the time to reply

My iniatal thinking was intergration was best and his attitude is great he can't wait to move over and learn Spanish, we have bought the discs and he as you all have stated is away while we adults struggle, he will probably end up teaching us.
            We are hoping to set up and run a small B&B and are just trying to find the right property in the right area, we are moving over for the same reason as most, the climate, the family friendly attitude, plus we want to work for ourselves, work hard and be successful
            Any hint or tips would be appreciated

Sandra

Comentario

Trabajando...
            X