Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• Fostering A Dog

I will be moving to Spain later this year and would like to have a dog, I read in the news that there are lots of abandoned dogs in spain so rather than buy one i would prefer to give a home to a rescue dog my problem is that i will have to return to the UK 3 or 4 times a year. I read somewhere that there is a dog rescue centre that foster out the animals but will take them back for short periods if you have to go away ie holiday or business trips, has anyone got any info about this as i cant remember where i read it.

Just ring all the animal rescue places/people in your area when you get here. Most advertise in the local freebies. Where will you be?

Comentario

At first we will live in our apartment in La Mata, but will be looking to buy a villa in La Marina.

Comentario

APAH in Pilar used to board any dog that was adopted from them, but they no longer have their own premises so have to pay boarding fees for all their dogs. It's unlikely that they'd be prepared to pay the boarding fees for adopted dogs in future. As far as fostering goes, it is generally hoped that the foster carer will eventually adopt the dog unless it is a special case (such as a mum with very young babies, an old dog or one who just can't cope with being in kennels). However fostering does NOT commit you to adopting. I have no idea what SATS's policy is; you will just have to contact them when the time is right for you. Animal Aid are a charitable group who don't have their own place so all their animals are fostered in individual homes. There's so many poor dogs (and cats) absolutely desperate for homes I'm sure you'll find something to suit - just don't rush into anything.

Comentario

Pet passport...

Is there any chance of you being able to get the dog a pet passport and be able to take it back and forwards with you? That is, if you are going to be driving, if so after six months or so, you and doggy can be together for ever!! Hope things work out for you. Gail

Comentario

Dog fostering

Have just found a couple of numbers and websites for you:- Pads telephone no. 626 751 522 A.P.A.H 630 422 563 or visit Asociación Protectora de Animales Horadada - animal rescue charity caring for abandoned and homeless animals in Pilar De La Horadada on the Spanish Costa Blanca S.A.T tel no, 966 710 047 or visit SAT, Sociedad Protectora para Animales de Torrevieja, Costa Blanca, Spain - home page.

Comentario

Thanks for your replies, wendyh,gail1,chrisdee.
              I have looked at all the links you posted and i cant believe that so many people can be so nasty to abandon those lovable creatures i would want to adopt them all.
              In my original post i didnt mean that i didnt want to or couldnt pay for someone to look after the dog whilst i was away but i thought that they would be better cared for in a sancturary than in kennels that are a commercial business set up for profit.
              Again thanks to all its given me plenty to think about

Comentario

No, believe me harpo, a private boarding kennels is generally better than boarding at a rescue centre. Private kennels should have far less dogs and more time to give them the attention they need. You may also be able to find someone who will take your dog into their home for you when you go away. It all costs, of course, but kennel prices vary. Shop around, go and see several and make up your mind which would suite your dog best.

With regard to getting a dog. You will need to think seriously about what you get. A flat in La Mata is a far cry from a house with garden in La Marina. Will you wait till you move or will you settle for a smaller dog, an older one, or one which just doesn't need so much space? Also, you must consider that the vast majority of rescues will be unlikely to come ready house-trained.

I wish you luck and please let us know how you get on once you get here.

Comentario

Thanks for the advice wendy,
                  I will be waiting until we get a house with a garden before considering geting a dog because i think its important for them to have space to move around between walks ect and also easier to train them if you dont have to mess about with lifts to get them outside.
                  I will let you know how i get on when the time comes.

Comentario

Trabajando...
                  X