Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• Daily Telegraph Sat 26 Jul page B7 - 'Dreams that crumbled in the sun'

I could not find this massive article by Neil Tweedie on the Telegraph website but it is damning of San Jose Builders, La Zenia and the destruction caused to so many ex-pat lives by moving to what they thought was a dream.
    To quote one ex-pat who is holed up in La Zenia and who wished to remain anonymous 'I wish I'd never bloody come. I wish I was back in my bungalow'
    in the UK. This guy passed over £82,000 to San Jose in 2003 and has nothing to show for it.

Having been hit by problem after problem and with the best offer on my house valued at 150,000 euros currently standing at 120,000 euros, I must echo that sentiment. Having purchased here in 2000, how I miss Scotland, its rain, its poor weather, and being under 65, its excellent health and dental service.

Due to divorce - my wife left to go home to visit parents and never came back (this has happened to several around me - is there something about this bloody place and wives) I am now stranded high and dry in this sweat pit of Orihuela Costa, surrounded by overflowing rubbish bins, cockroaches and dirt the like of which I have never seen back in my green homeland.

Whilst the Telegraph ( a bit of a home counties of England paper but quite widely read) have done none of us any favours trying to sell nearly unsellable properties, I agreed with every word of the article.

God, if I had my time over again !
    Editado por última vez por the-celtic-warrior; https://torrevieja.com/forums/member/2319-the-celtic-warrior en , 08:01:19.

Article found. The Telegraph had it under the Costa Del Sol - read the first few words and you will see it refers to this area:

Britons' dreams crumble in Costa del Sol housing collapse - Telegraph

Comentario

Orihuela Costa

What a load of nonesense. The OC is an excellent place to live and where all the rubbish is , it certainly is not where I am. We have 5 blue flag beaches, many childrens play areas, excellent shopping centres. The weather is superb with hardly any rain and much sun. We have lived here for 7 years now and no regrets. The Health service is a the best in Europe I am 64 my wife 48 and we have never had a problem as residents with anything.

Perhaps some people come here with blinkered eyes and cannot integrate or expected to make a fast book instead of getting out and learning the language, doing some proper work and paying into the Spanish system

Comentario

Dreams crumble

I read your posting on another post (help needed - Help please) and you say you were turned away from the medical centre with your EHIC card, if you have lived here since 2000? why are you using that and not an ordinary SIP card, I thought an EHIC was only for using when you are on holiday and for emergencies? Are you a resident?

Comentario

I have owned here since 2000. Spending firstly a few months here as holidays and now, due to divorce, having to make this my life. Today I apply for residencia. I am 50, on an occupational pension, with stomach ulcers brought on by the divorce. The Health Clinic in OC told me to 'go home' to get treatment. I have no UK (Scotland) home as my wife has it. I have been left with this. My EHIC applies for up to six months and I have now been here for eight. I pay every bill, tax etc and employ someone to do it - a Spanish Tax Consultant. I speak quite a bit of Spanish. I am on the padron, have an NIE number etc. Everything about my ownership here is legal - I even refused to pay part cash back in 2000 a common practice because I viewed it as illegal. The poster above dismisses the Telegraph article. Would he dismiss the £82,000 if it were his I wonder? Would he dismiss blood running down his legs from stomach ulcers if it were his own, I wonder ? What would he do - I note he and his wife are under 65 - if he were told to go 'home' to get medical treatment as he is under 65.
          What would he do about the bins overflowing outside his door? I clean them every day but mainly English people just throw their rubbish from passing cars.
          Editado por última vez por the-celtic-warrior; https://torrevieja.com/forums/member/2319-the-celtic-warrior en , 08:34:16.

Comentario

We became residents a soon as we came here and then got our Sip cards. Will both get permanent ones when I am 65 this year as my wife is my dependent. So no worries.

Living here is without hassle and far better than UK

Comentario

I think Celtic Warrior needs a bit of support and sympathy whatever the merits of the article.
              Some people are luckier than others in the decisions they make. The ones who have been unlucky and find that it puts the final straw on to there main supportive relationship without any supportive network is bound to long for an home environment and resent a comparatively alien one.
              This thread is about the personal tragedies and depression that can be triggered by recession or sharp practice rather than whether Orihuela Costa is a better place than the UK.
              I cant resist adding that Spain has its own Gordon Brown "nightmare" in Zapatero.
              Hope things improve for you Celtic- Warrior !
              Smoki41

Comentario

I cant do anything but to concur to your post Smoke41 (specially about zapatero)
                A solution to you would be to apply for Spanish nationality. As a european citizen it shouldnt be to complicated, and if you no longer have a home in scotland or any plans to return, you might aswell. The NHS in Spain is amongt the best in europe. Far better than the UK. Another solution is to get a private health insurance. Many spaniards have that even though they are entitled to free hospital care.

Comentario

You need to be resident for 10 years before applying for citizenship.

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por Nalle Ver Mensaje
                    The NHS in Spain is amongt the best in europe. Far better than the UK.
                    I can't dispute that,I have been fortunate in not being hospitalized in either country. One thing about the Spanish NHS, aftercare does not exist. A neighbour of ours contracted cancer,his treatment was first class but once the hospital decided they could do no more for him he was discharged,his wife nursed him at home until he died. She was told this was normal practice.

Comentario

Trabajando...
                    X