X
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• Originalmente publicado por Philip Ver Mensaje
    And for the silly twit who suggested we should go out and look at the Spanish countryside instead of watching tv - do they have floodlights throughout the dark winter nights? Whoever he/she is they want to get real. My wife and I only watch tv after 8 p.m. at night after eating out and adding to the Spanish economy.
    That's rather unfair and somewhat rude. I believe that the poster in question was merely stating his or her amazement at so much preoccupation with the reception of the British TV when we live in a most beautiful and vibrant area of Spain. The winter nights may draw in early but there is still plenty to occupy in the form of winter fayres, local fiestas, winter traditions - a perfect way to integrate with the local population rather than be 'locked' away in an urbanisation watching Eastenders. Language comprehension can improve dramatically, understanding of local culture equally so. Eat at 10pm and you'll meet so many new characters and see a totally different aspect to living in Spain ...

Comentario

• well i know where your head is

Comentario

• Originalmente publicado por ScottB Ver Mensaje
        That's rather unfair and somewhat rude. I believe that the poster in question was merely stating his or her amazement at so much preoccupation with the reception of the British TV when we live in a most beautiful and vibrant area of Spain. The winter nights may draw in early but there is still plenty to occupy in the form of winter fayres, local fiestas, winter traditions - a perfect way to integrate with the local population rather than be 'locked' away in an urbanisation watching Eastenders. Language comprehension can improve dramatically, understanding of local culture equally so. Eat at 10pm and you'll meet so many new characters and see a totally different aspect to living in Spain ...
        Of course there is much preoccupation with the reception of British TV. People have paid out a lot of money and now it's gone, this is their gripe, now they are up the creek without a paddle. As for going out and seeing the local fiestas, once you've seen a few you don't want to keep going. I totally agree with a lot of people, British TV is my evening hobby, whether some of you like that or not.

Comentario

• So live in the UK ...

Comentario

• Telemicro

For your information I do live in the Uk and travel to Spain for monthly breaks in Jan, March, May, Aug, and November. I like it for the weather and the people and the scenery. However the scenerty around Torrevieja (apart from the coast) is nowhere as good as the lake district. If you were talking about the scenery around Benidorm or Grenada I would agree that it is magnificent, but Torrevieja in spanish terms is very mediocre. So although British t.v. is not the be all and end all of life but it is a nice comfort for the evenings. There is no need to go native and change dinner time to 10.00p.m. when my digestion recognises dinner time as no later than 8.00 p.m.

Comentario

So live in the UK ...
              Get down of your high horse ScottB, we like Spain, we are here to stay, we just want some decent TV. That's all there is to it.

Comentario

• Originalmente publicado por Philip Ver Mensaje
                For your information I do live in the Uk and travel to Spain for monthly breaks in Jan, March, May, Aug, and November. I like it for the weather and the people and the scenery. However the scenerty around Torrevieja (apart from the coast) is nowhere as good as the lake district. If you were talking about the scenery around Benidorm or Grenada I would agree that it is magnificent, but Torrevieja in spanish terms is very mediocre. So although British t.v. is not the be all and end all of life but it is a nice comfort for the evenings. There is no need to go native and change dinner time to 10.00p.m. when my digestion recognises dinner time as no later than 8.00 p.m.
                I beg to differ: the mountains to the north of Crevillente are definitely worth exploring; they are just a short drive from Torrevieja. What about the beautiful palm forests of Elche or the lagoon of Mar Menor? Even the salt lakes are worth a visit?

Comentario

• Originalmente publicado por Chrisdee Ver Mensaje
                  Get down of your high horse ScottB, we like Spain, we are here to stay, we just want some decent TV. That's all there is to it.

The TV is just as good (bad?) on TVE, TeleCinco, Quatro, etc. Language skills are vastly improved as well. Hit the subtitle button and you can follow the action and learn the language at the same time.

Whilst the implication is not directed at yourself specifically (and I apologise if it comes across that way), I find it funny - and ,aybe a little bit disappointing - that the same British who are desperate to exercise a perceived right to have their own TV in foreign lands are often the same people who moan about immigrants into the United Kingdom not integrating into the British way of life. Surely the urbanisations on the hills around the Costa Blanca and other areas of Spain are no different to the perceived immigrant pockets around such conurbations as Bradford or Oldham? Keeping themselves to themselves? Familar ...

Comentario

The TV is just as good (bad?) on TVE, TeleCinco, Quatro, etc. Language skills are vastly improved as well. Hit the subtitle button and you can follow the action and learn the language at the same time.

Whilst the implication is not directed at yourself specifically (and I apologise if it comes across that way), I find it funny - and ,aybe a little bit disappointing - that the same British who are desperate to exercise a perceived right to have their own TV in foreign lands are often the same people who moan about immigrants into the United Kingdom not integrating into the British way of life. Surely the urbanisations on the hills around the Costa Blanca and other areas of Spain are no different to the perceived immigrant pockets around such conurbations as Bradford or Oldham? Keeping themselves to themselves? Familar ...
                    I don't try to change the Spanish culture, whereas the immigrants in the UK do. Shall we start another post on that subject? i.e I pay my way, a lot of those in the UK don't, the list goes on. So go on ScottB, get that post going.
                    I JUST WANT SOME ENGLISH TV, sorry if you think I'm sad. P.S I don't like Eastenders, Corrie Big Brother, X-Factor, although I have glimpsed it as I channel flick OR DID!

Comentario

• Originalmente publicado por Chrisdee Ver Mensaje
                      I don't try to change the Spanish culture, whereas the immigrants in the UK do. Shall we start another post on that subject? i.e I pay my way, a lot of those in the UK don't, the list goes on. So go on ScottB, get that post going.
                      Unfortunately there are plenty of British living abroad who DO want to change the way things are done. Read the letters pages of the Costa Blanca Doom, Round Town News, et al. each week and you will regularly encounter moans and groans along the lines that staff at the town hall / police station don't speak English or that the shop worker didn't understand English and what a disgrace it is! How many British still drive around UK-plated cars ILLEGALLY, believing that the rules don't apply to them? Far, far more than, say, Poles driving around the United Kingdom. I can't think of many examples of immigrants in the UK wanting to change the culture (don't believe the rubbish spouted by the Daily Mail or The Sun; they just want to sell papers), but I can think of many examples of Brits wanting to change Spain ...

Comentario

Unfortunately there are plenty of British living abroad who DO want to change the way things are done. Read the letters pages of the Costa Blanca Doom, Round Town News, et al. each week and you will regularly encounter moans and groans along the lines that staff at the town hall / police station don't speak English or that the shop worker didn't understand English and what a disgrace it is! How many British still drive around UK-plated cars ILLEGALLY, believing that the rules don't apply to them? Far, far more than, say, Poles driving around the United Kingdom. I can't think of many examples of immigrants in the UK wanting to change the culture (don't believe the rubbish spouted by the Daily Mail or The Sun; they just want to sell papers), but I can think of many examples of Brits wanting to change Spain ...
                        I won't even go into Shiria law, yet another post and another forum. That's the kind of change I meant prevously. Fully agree with other things you mention. Still I want my British Telly!

Comentario

• Firstly can we reply to each other in a considered and well mannered way?

I have been in spain for three years and enjoy all things spanish (except the bureaucracy)
                          I miss my British television .I don't watch soaps , reality shows .BB, etc .but we all have something that we like ! In my case sport , documentaries, and plays etc .
                          It's a bit like giving up smoking ....good days and bad days.
                          The point that I would like to make is that we have been spoilt in the past .Telmicro made it easy ! We should not "expect" British TV in a foreign country .It is not a right !
                          OK , before some of you jump on that statement read past threads from others.
                          Sky is only licensed for the UK and ROI . Freesat is similar !
                          It is possible to install our own dish and receiver at a cost and to hell with the licensing laws. We have British TV again !
                          There are plenty of good companies that will do this for us?

All this discussion about British TV made me ask the question . Are there so many Brits here in Spain because it is so easy to create a "little britain "????
                          Cafe's , bars ,restaurants,supermarkets,shops, newspapers and especially TV. The Costa Blanca is getting like an English county with better weather.!

I have English neighbours who never try to speak spanish , don't like spanish food , only go to english restaurants. Why the heck are they in Spain ?
                          No different to the ghettos we dislike in Britain . Purely immigrants for financial reasons .
                          I only go to spanish bars ,restaurants etc and most of my friends here are Spanish or Argentinian . (even though my spanish is not brilliant).
                          I am here because it is not England . An experience of a different culture !

The one thing that I miss is some British TV ! Just a little will do!
                          See if Telmicro does come back ?

Brian

Comentario

• Little Britain?

All that's coming up now on this thread is to do with Spain changing into little Britain, what we do in our own homes is nothing to do with changing cultures, just because we want to watch SOME decent television which we can fully understand isn't a crime, which it's beginning to sound like.

Comentario

• It is not what we do in our own homes that concerns me . It is the expectations that we have some "right" to British TV.
                              I miss my Brit TV as much as anyone.
                              As I said in my previous post we can get British TV if we spend the money on a dish and a receiver !
                              Why I expanded the discussion to include other things was because of the previous thread and this expectation of all things British in Spain.
                              We are in a foreign country ,albeit a very familiar one because we have all taken previous holidays here over the years !
                              BUT it is still a foreign country .
                              We should not expect anything!!!

Comentario

Trabajando...
                              X