Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• Clean up the Costa - Part 2- People's Litter Pick-up

The increasing volume of Litter is ruining the cleanliness and look of more and more areas of Orihuela Costa. The continually expanding eyesores caused by Litter strewn along roadsides, across pavements, around parks and recreation areas, in green zones, in fact now almost everywhere, is totally unacceptable.

Where does the Litter we all see lying around our area come from? The only way that Litter gets to where it is, is by being thrown away by people, who are too lazy to be bothered to put it in a refuse bin, or to take it home if there's no bin close by. The type of person with the attitude that someone else can clean up my rubbish and dam the consequences to the area and those who live there.

The Litter doesn't come from the Council, and no matter how hard it may try and how much money it spends on the problem it is currently fighting a losing battle. It's a sad fact, but reality, that the problem of Litter is getting worse, and that Litter attracts more Litter! The Council cannot fight the battle alone!

It is the responsibility of everyone to help reduce, and ultimately eliminate, the amount of Litter lying around. Both the Town Hall and the Inhabitants of the area need to be involved. Ideally we need to stop Litter from being dropped in the first place, but until this happens we need to make sure that any that is dropped is picked up. We need to adopt a different solution from that of complaining to the Council and expecting them to solve the problem on their own. We, the people who notice the Litter and care about what it’s doing to Orihuela Costa, need to start to take action by helping to clear it up ourselves.

We all know spots that we pass regularly, either on foot or by car, that are an eyesore, covered in Litter, and with just a little effort for 10 to 15 minutes in picking up the Litter it would make a big difference.

Los Verdes suggest to the Residents of Orihuela Costa that if their calle, or community, or urbanisation, or green zone is in need of a clean up and they are you fed up with seeing Litter scattered around, spoiling their quality of life, now is the opportunity to do something about it! Spare a few minutes of your time to pick up some Litter in your area, and along with similar actions in other areas by other caring volunteers, we will begin to make a difference. This is an opportunity for those Residents who are concerned about the problem to join together for action! Whether you are an individual, a group of Residents, a school group, or a community that wants to help tackle the problem of Litter join the campaign now. With Residents of an area working together there is a powerful force at work. This is a problem that affects us all and needs the support of us all!

As campaign co-ordinators Los Verdes would like to create a register of individuals, or groups, or communities, of concerned residents who want to help to 'Clean up the Costa', irrespective of whichever political party they support. If an individual area has a Litter problem that is too big to be cleaned by a few local residents then we can contact volunteers on the register and ask for their help. Those people who are already picking up Litter in their area won't feel so much alone, they'll be part of a growing number of caring volunteers. Other Residents will become more aware of the campaign, and want to join in, as they see more and more people picking up Litter wearing their free campaign hats and badges.

This second part of the 'Clean up the Costa' campaign starts in the first week of September 2008 and Los Verdes ask and encourage people to carry out their initial 'Litter Pick-up' during September and October to give Orihuela Costa an 'Autumn Clean'.

There will always be a need for Litter to be cleaned up, until attitudes towards throwing Litter everywhere change, so the People's 'Litter Pick-up’ is part two of the ongoing campaign, that will possibly need to run for at least the next three years.

Register with the campaign today and help make Orihuela Costa a cleaner place to live in. In return for your involvement and offer to help the environment of Orihuela Costa, Los Verdes will give you a FREE 'Litter Pick-up' starter kit containing hats, badges, stickers, and bags.

We want you to be able to tell the whole of Orihuela Costa about your successful clean up! Send us your 'before and after' photographs and we will publish details of the work on the 'Clean up the Costa' campaign Blog so that other volunteers can see the result of your efforts.

Los Verdes will be asking the Council for it's help in that; they collect the bags of rubbish, marked with the campaign stickers; they provide, free of charge, rubbish skips for the larger 'Litter Pick-up' projects; they provide a free supply of plastic bags to the campaign, for the volunteer 'Litter Pickers'. Tell us where and when you will be carrying out an organised 'Litter Pick-up', and we will inform the Council so they can make sure the litter that's collected is dealt with properly.

To register your wish to help 'Clean up the Costa' with a People's 'Litter Pick-up', or to report the success of your 'Litter Pick-up', send an email to cleanupthecosta@gmail.com

Note:
    There are more photographs of examples of Litter sights in Orihuela Costa in the original article on the Blog. (Moderator - I hope you will allow this reference to the Blog location as the campaign is for the benefit of all inhabitants of Orihuela Costa)

Elliot Sampford

Los Verdes members lead by example

Members of the Orihuela Costa Working Group of Los Verdes de Orihuela this week lead by example as part of the ‘People’s Litter Pick-up‘.

On Calle Panticosa, close to the Consum supermarket, opposite the exit of Calle Acuario there is a small plot of land that people have decided to use as a rubbish bin. This is a major access road to the local urbanisations and the site of the rubbish was a poor reflection on the area.

Four members of Los Verdes this week spent 30 minutes tidying up the area. The result of the ‘Litter Pick-up’ was the collection of 10 bags of rubbish, a mattress, and a wooden sunbed. Having completed the task a telephone call was made to the Ayuntamiento to request that the bags and other items be collected by the Council. It was pleasing to see that within 24 hours all the rubbish had been removed.

This example shows that a joint effort of a ‘Litter Pick-up’ by members of the public and the collection of the rubbish by the Council can improve the look of Orihuela Costa.

Comentario

FREE Starter Kits available at Los Verdes surgery

To help with the distribution of the FREE Starter Kits, available for the People's 'Litter Pick-up' as part of the 'Clean up the Costa' campaign, these will be available for collection during the Los Verdes surgery to be held between 10.30 am and 12.30 pm. on Wednesday 3rd September at the Celtic Isle in Playa Flamenca, Orihuela Costa.

Elliot Sampford

Comentario

9 Starter Kits in 1 Day

Following the launch of the 'People's Litter Pick-up' part of the campaign in the local press, on the campaign Blog, and on two of the local chat forums; between 10.30 am & 12.30 pm during the Los Verdes surgery held on the 3rd September 2008 at the Celtic Isle in Playa Flamenca we issued 8 Free People's Litter Pick-up starter kits to residents who called in. With 1 further telephone request latter in the day that gives a total of 9 registrations to the campaign and the issuing of kits in 1 day.

This is an excellent start but we need many more people to get involved if we are to make a substantial change in the appearence of Orihuela Costa, to a litter free zone. Please get involved in the campaign and spend a few minutes of your time to pick-up some litter.

Elliot Sampford,

Comentario

Litter on the shopping centres

We have a holiday home here and am always amazed at how untidy and full of litter the commerical areas containing bars, restaurants etc are. Most of these shops are individually owned and want to encourage as much business as possible. True they did not put the litter there, only irresponsible individuals but if they all got together and tidied the public areas I would feel more like using these facilities and it would be a much nicer place to sit out and enjoy a drink.

Would it be possible for each bar/restaurant/newsagent etc in the shared commercial areas to be contacted and encouraged to get together with theirneighbours to clear up these areas.

By the way we live opposite a village green in a pleasant part of Britiain and I and my neighbours often go over there and pick up litter which has been thrown on the ground despite their being lots of litter bins around.

Comentario

Council agrees to co-operation with Campaign.

A meeting was held on Tuesday 2nd September 2008 in the Ayuntamiento in Playa Flamenca, between four members of the Los Verdes Working Group for Orihuela Costa (Gérard & Ulla Perret, and Elliot & Natalie Sampford) on behalf of the Clean up the Costa campaign, and Councillor Jose Antonio Aniorte, PP Councillor for the coast.

The result of the meeting was that it was confirmed by the Councillor that the Council will co-operate with the 'People's Litter Pick-up' part of the campaign in that it (the council) will ensure that any bags of rubbish or other items that are marked with the campaign stickers will be collected, that it will provide free of charge large rubbish skips for the larger 'Pick-up' projects that it is notified of by the campaign, that it will supply free of charge a quantity of refuse bags for use by the volunteers to the scheme. A small quantity of bags that was available in the Ayuntamiento was given to the Los Verdes representatives following the meeting.

Elliot Sampford

Comentario

excelencia turistica, orihuela costa, spain

One of the contributors to the Clean up the Costa campaign has sent me the following link to YouTube, it might be worth a few minutes to view!

YouTube - el basurero

Elliot

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por Ellsam Ver Mensaje
                One of the contributors to the Clean up the Costa campaign has sent me the following link to YouTube, it might be worth a few minutes to view!

YouTube - el basurero

Elliot
                Just watched it, dirty lot of sods. Can they not have those large skips that Torrevieja have? All garden waste goes into those rather than just laying about here, there and everywhere and the council come around and empty them every couple of days.

Comentario

This latest 'revelation' on You Tube (part of an ongoing campaign on that website) is just typical of the state that Orihuela Costa has been allowed to get into. I recall Pilar de la Horadada were also once controlled by Orihuela but following a street protest and years of campaigning, eventually achieved municipality status. But that Orihuela Costa could also achive a break from the city which just looks away.

I almost feel the You Tube effort may actually have been put together by Spanish nationals, in which case, I commend their efforts.

Comentario

litter

Anyone help with this one we live on one side of the rambla at Playa Flamenca on the other side are a row of houses all holiday homes some are let out to individuals there a 6 for sale

5 days ago a spanish family of 9 moved into one of the houses for let then bags of rubbish in supermarket bags appeared in the rambla around 3pm on the last two days I have seen the man walk out with the rubbish bin and tip the contents int the rambla I have taken the phone number of the agent can I do anything else.

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por Mick94 Ver Mensaje
                      This latest 'revelation' on You Tube (part of an ongoing campaign on that website) is just typical of the state that Orihuela Costa has been allowed to get into. .........

I almost feel the You Tube effort may actually have been put together by Spanish nationals, in which case, I commend their efforts.
                      The author of the video is Spanish and disgusted at the filthy condition of parts of Orihuela Costa. Los Verdes, on the authors behalf, raised the matter of the uncollected rubbish at playa of Cala Mosca (shown at the beginning of the video) with the Council and in the Press.

Elliot Sampford,

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por GAL Ver Mensaje
                        Anyone help with this one we live on one side of the rambla at Playa Flamenca on the other side are a row of houses all holiday homes some are let out to individuals there a 6 for sale

5 days ago a spanish family of 9 moved into one of the houses for let then bags of rubbish in supermarket bags appeared in the rambla around 3pm on the last two days I have seen the man walk out with the rubbish bin and tip the contents int the rambla I have taken the phone number of the agent can I do anything else.
                        I would suggest two lines of action.

1. Report the matter to the agent, as you indicate you intend to, so that he/she can have a word with the tenant.

2. Report the matter, with supporting details and photographs of the tenant tipping the rubbish, to the Ayuntamiento at Playa Flamenca.

Elliot Sampford

Comentario

More than most, the Green Party, Los Verdes, who actually do have elected politicians in situ in the Orihuela Ayuntamiento, deserve the support not only of ex-pats but of the Spanish populace. They have instigated useful campaigns and backed them up with action tackling reluctant governing politicians.

Comentario

14 Bags of Litter in I hour.

Several residents from the Sol Beach and Vista Azul 2 communities in Cabo Roig held a 'People's Litter Pick-up' on Thursday 11th September starting at 10.00 am with the result that 14 bags of litter were collected in approximately 1 hour.

The event was organised by Bernadette Dunkley, Vice President of Sol Beach, following registering with the campaign and receiving a Free starter kit. Her colleagues on the clean up included Wendy, Rita, Barry, Sue, Amelia, and Patrick (apologies to any one I've missed).

The area they chose to tackle was the recreation area situated on Calle Ortosa, which includes football pitches and petanca courts. The transformation of the area following the clean up was tremendous, the football pitches did not look like rubbish bins any more and the surrounding space was clear of litter.

Bernadette commented that “We have planned our next session for Thursday next and hopefully by then we will have more helpers. It was a good satisfying morning.”

On a return visit to the site latter in the day, to take some photographs of the result of the clean up, I personally noticed people looking at the campaign stickers put on the bags of collected litter. A gentleman who noticed my campaign badge asked for more details about the scheme and commended the effort of the residents.

Elliot Sampford,
                            Editado por última vez por Ellsam; https://torrevieja.com/forums/member/2092-ellsam en , 14:14:06. Razón: Amend title of BD

Comentario

Grand Litter Pick-up – Calle Niagara

In addition to the individual Pick-ups that the various groups of volunteers are arranging Los Verdes would like to organise a Grand Litter Pick-up once a month for large problem areas that are not being cleaned by the Council.

The first is to be a Grand Litter Pick-up in Calle Niagara. click on the link for details of the date, time and location.

Elliot Sampford

Comentario

Trabajando...
                              X