Little Britain

Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

People often say that this is a very beautiful area, and small towns described as 'pretty'. In my opinion these people must have come from the less scenic areas of the UK. With the exception of the lake at Torremendo, and one or two fairly unspoiled bits of coast, this area is singularly unattractive. You must travel 70 or so miles south west to Calasparra to find some really good landscapes. Or better still, move to north Gerona, where the scenery is wonderful and the seaside resorts imaculate. I come from the west country and am used to having rich, green scenery outside my door. I live in one of these so-called 'pretty' villages on the periphery of the Orihuela Costa. Its not wonderfull, but not so bad, public services are good (how many people in the UK would like their refuse collected 5 days a week?)

As someone said to me, this is the ar*e end of Spain, and of the Costa Blanca in particular. In a few years many of the urbs may become slums. Why are we all here? Could it be because its cheaper in almost every way than 'better' places? I make no bones about it, I'm here because my partner is here, and he's here because of cheap, plentiful housing. I really feel for those who are not happy here, and hope they can find ways to make life worthwhile until they can 'escape'. Best to try and remember why you left the UK in the first place.

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por Placebo Ver Mensaje
      The Spanish have made a fortune out of the Brits (and other nationalities) and still continue to treat with the utmost contempt.
      That's not the impression I get - but then I made the effort to learn the language and integrate, not hole myself up in some urbanisation's Brit bar ...

Comentario

A few years ago Torrevieja was a very poor fishing village.

The Spanish have made a fortune out of the Brits (and other nationalities) and still continue to treat with the utmost contempt.

Essex Gal is spot on.
        That would be about 30 or 40 years ago that torrevieja was a poor fishing village, and it still keeps its fishing roots alive. My home town was literally just a hamlet of about 5 houses before it was declared a New Town for the Londoners that had los their homes in the war, now it's a propsperous town, albeit dirty and over ridden by yobs.

Any town in 30 or 40 yrs will grow, and Torreieja has innevitably grown due to the demand on tourism - not only foreign tourism but National too, the Spanish from the north tend to come very much to torrevieja and in fact in the summer I see more Spanish tourists than English. Tourism is a legitimate business and anyone taking advantage of a business opportunity with tourism is OK by my books, as long as they're legal and no conning people out of loads of money. THAT is something that is wrong and should be stopped, and yes Spaniards do this as muh as the English.

Comentario

Cheers Placebo. I know I am right. My parents do as well now and they live a life of regret. I view this place differently than the rest of you. I don't live here. What I see as someone said, is these great big estates of ticky tacky hgouses become ghettoes of the future. Let's face it, they aren't pleasant, the buildings are sub standard with rendering and plaster falling off and yes, okay, there might be nightly bin collections but that doesn't stop the rubbish spreading everywhere. Even another poster here called Elsam, Los verdes, The Greens, notes the awful rubbish tip the area is in on his website.
          The bottom line is a lot of local builderrs and the politicians, Spanish the lot of them, have made a lot f money out of suckers dreams, and I class my parents as that as well. Corruption here is everywhere. Can you imagine the uproar at hoime if they could read what I have read here: raw sewage flowing down the streets, prostitutes on roundabouts flashing their tits at passing motorists etc etc. Lovely for the kids isnt it ? No you and many others, my own included have been conned and you con yourselves. The only people laughing are the builders and politicians until they get locked up that is.
          Seeing where my poor parents are stuck in convinces me that you will be living in a hell hole in ten years or less. Get real and take off the rose tinted spectacles. Where else would people be holed up in apartments not jknowing what their future is because the builder has taken all their money for nothing back. Imagine that back home ? The Spanish are a bunch of bloody rogues who printed nice glossy leaflets that suckered tens of thousands.
          They would still be shovelling shit without incomers money and have made their fortunes on your hard earned cash. Christ, in a so called modern country, you can't even watch what you want on the TV. I wonder if Spanish living in UK would be treated like this ? Mum and Dad are not drinkers, they don't hang around bars and TV was their only real luxury. They came here because of the promise of warm weather and a better lifestyle. The first they have although its too hot and stuffy for me and phew, don't the drains stink ? The second, a better lifestyle - I'm still looking for them.Get real the lot of you. This is a third world country.
          Editado por última vez por essex gal; https://torrevieja.com/forums/member/2689-essex-gal en , 16:25:43.

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por essex gal Ver Mensaje
            I was born in Essex I dont live there.

Compare this area with Gloucester, Wiltshire, into Wales - no comparison at all.

Respect the Spanish - they have done well out of gullible ex pats and grabbed their money. The Spanish have sold their souls and will live to regret it. No one wants to buy here any more and those that have are trapped.
            I dont respect them any more than I respect any other money grabbers who work by a system of curruption and backhanders. I say again, this part of Spain is ruined and a bloody tip. I enjoyed the 2 weeks with my parents but I shall be glad to go home and so would they if they could sell and get their money back.
            Name a Nation apart from a Muslim one that hasn't sold their souls?
            As for no one wants to buy here, of course they do, houses are still selling, not as many as 3,4,5 years ago but they are selling and not everybody feels trapped.

Comentario

I certainly wasn't conned. I live in very nice finca (that's like a small famrhouse for those who don't know) and live quite comfortably amongst my Spanish neighbours (who will be amused to hear that apparently they would still be "shovelling shit" if it wasn't for us Brits!). Perhaps I've made the effort rather than chasing a dream and expecting everything to be sunshine, sangria and sea. Perhaps I took the time to do a little research before making the move (it actually took over two years to make sure all the i's were dotted and the t's crossed properly but worth it to ensure that everything was above board).

Spanish con artists? What about the hundreds of British white van drivers who have been ripping off ex-pats for years, knowing full well that most Brits can't be bothered to learn the language and therefore have the only option of using expensive (and unlicensed) Brit cowboys?

Quote: "you can't even watch what you want on the TV!" What a ludicrous statement to make! The Spanish living in the UK don't expect to get TVE and TeleCinco beamed straight into their homes and I cannot understand why the Brits in Spain can expect anything different! You don't have a divine right to your own television!

All this just confirms that I chose correctly not to live in amongst the Brits who are the biggest set of whingers I have ever had the experience to witness.

Now, where did I put my rose-tinted glasses ... ?

Comentario

No but in the Uk they could rent in legal TV services including Sky showing Spoanish channels with some confidence. I guarrantee there'll be a Spaniard behind the Telmicro con ! Anf look at the timing of the raids - malicious or what. No, I stand by what I have said. Peasants turned millionaires the lot of them.

Comentario

No but in the Uk they could rent in legal TV services including Sky showing Spoanish channels with some confidence. I guarrantee there'll be a Spaniard behind the Telmicro con ! Anf look at the timing of the raids - malicious or what. No, I stand by what I have said. Peasants turned millionaires the lot of them.
                  You are certainly a bitter little/big thing aren't you? Nevermind, once you get home you can get some medication to calm you down.

Comentario

Digital+ has English channels (Sky News, BBC World) - and is perfectly legal.

Comentario

Some are like an Ostrich wearing rose tinted spectacles!

It's to cover up the mistake they made you see.

Say it's great in Spain and say the UK is a dump often enough and it'll all be OK.

The usual thing is to say the weather's great but I bet a large majority can't wait for August to end. Waaaaaaay too hot.

Comentario

Some are like an Ostrich wearing rose tinted spectacles!

It's to cover up the mistake they made you see.

Say it's great in Spain and say the UK is a dump often enough and it'll all be OK.

The usual thing is to say the weather's great but I bet a large majority can't wait for August to end. Waaaaaaay too hot.
                        The weather is too hot in August, the roads are too busy, the shops are manic, but that's a small sacrifice in my book. The Spring, Autumn and winter are great.

Comentario

I have followed these threads with great interest. i am amazed that so much can come from the simple desire to watch TV in ones own native language whilst living ( or temp visiting) another country.

I am due out in September for a couple of weeks and will miss being able to turn on SKY news in the morning and then tune in to Radio 2. This does not mean that i am some ignorant ex pat hate the Spanish type it just means I like to keep up with events and maybe relax with a bit of tv that I recognise and enjoy.

In good old Blighty you can watch tv in just about any language on earth from Arabic to Zulu the hoards of Poles and other Eastern Europeans have access to their own culture whilst living and working in the UK - Whats wrong with that?

I travel thew world for a living and it may come as a surprise to many but you can get English TV in every country in the world bar none!

BBC/ SKY in Africa in America in Australia etc. etc. etc. Even German and Chinese stations broadcast in English - I actually often watch TVE ( in Spanish) while I am away in order to improve my understanding of the language.

As for constantly knocking the area of Torrevieja and Orihuela - it has its problems I admit - too much building and not enough sensible planning is part of it. However you can find superb beaches, little country villages nice towns, National Parks only a few k in every direction. the people are pretty friendly and there are many good eating places that are Spanish and good value.

I think myself lucky that I purchased a apartment at a very good price, I can afford to maintain it and enjoy its use as much as possible. Back home a second home is nearly impossible to buy and to pay form due extreme taxes - so Im happy to put up with a bit of concrete here and there!

Lighten up folks and let live and enjoy what ever it takes - even bl**dy Eastenders if it makes you happy!

Comentario

Why treat others this way ?

Originalmente publicado por Chrisdee Ver Mensaje
                            You are certainly a bitter little/big thing aren't you? Nevermind, once you get home you can get some medication to calm you down.
                            Why is it that many people on here have such a condescending and contemptuous attitude toward those that have an alternative viewpoint ?

Just because someone sees things differently doesnt mean that they are bitter, or in need of medication. It just means that they see things differently..................

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por Britbuild Ver Mensaje
                              Why is it that many people on here have such a condescending and contemptuous attitude toward those that have an alternative viewpoint ?

Just because someone sees things differently doesnt mean that they are bitter, or in need of medication. It just means that they see things differently..................
                              OK point taken, but it does work both ways!

Comentario

point taken also, although I have tried to calm my ways

Comentario

Trabajando...
                                X