X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

Originalmente publicado por Britbuild Ver Mensaje
    point taken also, although I have tried to calm my ways
    Nothing like a good ruck! Passes the time of day. Have a good one.

Comentario

interesting thread ,if you come to spain expecting uk standards in some of the areas mentioned then you could resonably expect to pay UK prices for the service ,my uk council tax is roughly the same over two months that i pay in 12 for my place in spain ,so although it does detract from the overall appreance in some areas its a small detractor in the bigger picture ,i dont think spain is better or worse than the uk ,just different and thats why i like it,i like the beaches the nice parks (i live down the road from the parc of nations ,my boys love it and they have great events on there pretty much year round)the family orientation of the spanish people and their general friendliness,ironically enough i have a racist neighbour who patently doesnt like non spanish,i dont like it but i can understand his resentment he saves up to buy a house like mine and i waltz in and out when i feel like it but ive spent 27 yrs in the army and served all over the world i lived in germany for over 10 yrs and unlike most of the insel affes i learnt the lingo and what a difference it makes ,ive only picked up a little spanish but am encouraging my kids to learn it and at least have some respect for the fact we are guests in their country and should make the effort to appreciate their ways and forgive them what we evisage as their failings ,anyhow im at home now so im off to watch tele i cant go in the garden to sit cos its bloody raining! (of course )

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por essex gal Ver Mensaje
        No but in the Uk they could rent in legal TV services including Sky showing Spoanish channels with some confidence. I guarrantee there'll be a Spaniard behind the Telmicro con ! Anf look at the timing of the raids - malicious or what. No, I stand by what I have said. Peasants turned millionaires the lot of them.
        Go on...admit it....you must be a plant...someone has put you on here just to wind everyone up! No one could be that ridiculous!!! Spain actually took part in the Olympics and it was televised throughout the country on Spanish TV! If we are to believe what we read, the spanish authorities were doing exactly what they should do (and thus proving that they are not all corrupt) and arresting those individuals who were breaking the law of the land. We are also led to believe by the way that the majority of those involved were English. We have lived here for 6 years and have been "ripped off" a few times and yes, you guessed it, each time by my "fellow countrymen". If your parents are unhappy where they are I think this is obviously sad and I hope they are able to sell and return to the uk. I agree not all estate agents (certainly not all of which are Spanish) are honest but I am sure you will agree this is the same in the uk. There are numerous areas in the UK where even the police enter with trepidation. I´m sure the parents of all those that have been stabbed over the last 6 months would concur that even some of the "nice" areas are not safe.

Like others, we consider ourselves extremely fortunate to have been welcomed into a community (I live in an apartment opposite the sea in Torrevieja). Many of our neighbours are here only in the summer months but still welcome us into their homes. Peasants? I don´t think so!! Many of them have more money than I probably will ever see...but don´t feel the need to flash around in big cars or designer clothes.

I do know what it is like in England. I have to go back each month to look after my mum. She is very ill and the C Diff she contracted whilst in a filthy hospital in the UK did not help. My father died last year and my mum has been unable to part with his car and as they live in a private road decided to simply keep it outside. Last month it was stolen. Some time before, my uncle who is 89 was knocked to the floor in his own home when a young thug came in and stole my aunts´ purse. My family don´t live in some big sprawling estate, they live in a quiet area. The roses were even stolen from the grave when my father was buried and have been again since. We have been told that it is florists that take them to use again. How sick is that.

That said, not everything in England is bad but we prefer to live here in Spain and will continue to do so. With regard to rubbish etc., yes we do have nightly collections (7 days per week here) and yes there is rubbish around (usually from holidaymakers where I live as they come off the beach). However, I am sure that you would know that the town hall receives money according to the number of people that signs on the padron. Sadly many "foreigners" do not. I believe it does extremely well with the resources it does have. We have endless police patrols, regular street cleaning teams and the streets are even washed regularly here. We have all this at a fraction of what we paid in the UK.

I would thank you however for your contribution, it has certainly emphasised to me how right we were to make the decision to live here. Gracias and bienviaje.

Comentario

To most of us...

Life is what we make of it!

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por Brindleboy123 Ver Mensaje
            I am sure that you would know that the town hall receives money according to the number of people that signs on the padron. Sadly many "foreigners" do not. I believe it does extremely well with the resources it does have. We have endless police patrols, regular street cleaning teams and the streets are even washed regularly here. We have all this at a fraction of what we paid in the UK.
            Ah yes! The padron! It amazes me just how many ex-pat Brits refuse to sign themselves onto the padron, claiming that the Spanish are trying to catch them out for tax purposes. Quite simply, the number of people signed onto the padron equals the amount of cash that the municipality receives from central government in Madrid. The ayuntamiento could not give two figs about your tax status; they want to claim 200 euros (or thereabouts) per person from central government to be able to run the services in their municipality.

It is thought that 45% of British ex-pats refuse or forget to sign onto the Padrón Municipal de Habitantes.These people are normally the same people who moan (now there's a surprise) about the poor postal service or disappointing rubbish collection. Yet they fail to comprehend (now there's a surprise) that each municipality receives a certain amount of cash from central government PER PERSON SIGNED ONTO THE PADRON to help support the costs of services in that municipality. For example, if a town has 15,000 people signed, then they will receive funds for 15,000 people ONLY no matter if the real population count is twice that number (which is normally the case because so many Brits don't sign up).

The next time Brits moan and groan about their services, ask them if they have signed the Padrón Municipal de Habitantes. If you receive a blank look then you may have the answer as to why your services are perceived to be bad ...

Comentario

English holiday makers are generally forgiven for not speaking the language... you can't expect anyone to learn a language in the space of 2 weeks. No, although some holiday makers give our nationality the bad name of 'boozers and troublemakers' whilst on holiday here, the majority are well behaved... providing they remember and respect hte fact that they are visitors in another country and treat it with the respect deserved.

The main grain of all of us 'ex-pats' is that we are embarrassed by the types who try to get whatever they can out of Spain, whilst not wasnting to give anything back... with the usual excuse... "why should I pay here when I paid in England all my life"... to that I respond... "are you still paying your taxzes in England" and the majority suddenly start trying totell me that "that's not what I meant". Another embarrassment are those that I hear laughing with their other British friends saying... I don't need to learn Spanish, they all speak English wherever I go... how narrow minded.

I respect other people's views, but when the country and the nationals here, the very people who have made it possible to create a much better life than I would have had at home and made me welcome in the meantime are insulted... I feel it's my duty to defend them in a language where they may not be able to hold their own.

Comentario

So Essex gal, you do not live here, yet you feel that you have the knowledge and authority to pour scorn on us Ex-Pats that do. As far as your parents are concerned, should they not have done their homework before moving to a foreign country. Afterall, if they were moving within the U.K. I trust they would have taken the time to access the area they propossed to relocate to. You talk of "gullible ex pats" well your parents certainly seem to fall into that catagory. I was born and bred in Wiltshire and as wonderful as it is, within a short drive of the royal triangle. It is not without it problems, not withstanding the NICE lottery. In life you pay your money and you take your chance. I live in a very respectable area, with many other foreign nationals. And in a very nice house, in a lane of just six houses. Not all of us live in appartments. Perhaps your parents should have thought more before buying where they did. After all if nobody bought these "ticky tacky houses, in ghettoes" no more would be built. I find the fact that you alude to your parents as among the "suckered tens of thousands" as quite sad. And as for "third world" Spain may not be as hell bent on Health and Safety as the U.K. But then our Spanish hospitals are not the germ ridden hell holes that are common in the U.K. Our local clinic will apologise if you have to wait more than a day or two for an appointment, this is usually during the summer months. The local hospital has only private rooms with en-suite, and a comfortable bed for any relative that wishes to stay the night. It is common that those that find fault with any county that they relocate to, find that they are no longer living in their homeland. Well hard luck. Did your parents never consider moving here for a few months to get the feel of the place. It really is just common sense. Get real and get a life of your own.

Comentario

too right NickyK1 - I had known Torrevieja as my holiday home, my home away from home for 10 yrs before I took the plunge and moved here - I could never burn my bridges and up and move somewhere I had no idea about.

Well said! And as we say in England to the foreigners that complain about their new lives in a new country - GO HOME THEN.

Comentario

I am not normally one for entering subjective debates - one man's meat is another man's poison - but I have been here since agreeing purchase in 1994 and would love to go home now having seen the area decline dramatically and not resemble what I thought it was going to be. How I harbour so many regrets. A lot of you will in due course, a few may not.

Comentario

Don't regret the things you have done. Regret the things you didn't do !
                      This life is not a rehearsal .....we only have one shot at it.
                      We all make mistakes and have to live with them !
                      At least we cannot be accused of not trying to do something different with our lives. Sometimes it works out .....sometimes it doesn't

Some things my father used to say to me !!!!

I intend to go back to the UK within two years for family reasons .
                      I shall never regret or forget the adventure of Spain !

Comentario

"The local hospital has only private rooms with en-suite, and a comfortable bed for any relative that wishes to stay the night."

LOL that's only because if a relative doesn't stay the patient won't get any care!

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por Placebo Ver Mensaje
                          "The local hospital has only private rooms with en-suite, and a comfortable bed for any relative that wishes to stay the night."

LOL that's only because if a relative doesn't stay the patient won't get any care!
                          Completely disagree there, my mum had a series of severe grade strokes last year, and was immediately hospitalized, 2 weeks in a come in intensive care, 3 mths in the hospital before being transferred to a residential home. Sadly she passed away months later.

My family and I got to know almost all of the staff there, and I can tell you that the service provided to my mother in that hospital was amazing to say the least, and of a much higher standard than anyone could expect from an NHS hospital in the UK (and infact in some private ones too!). True there were some instances when the care level dropped, and when I pointed this out it was immediately rectified and due apologies given, even though the staff were over worked and the whole place was understaffed.

Every exceptional service has its few who have had bad instances and I admit that I know of people with that problem from Torrevieja, but I also know someone who has been treat in San Jaime and in Torrevieja and has since withdrawn her private health insurance as the care at Torrevieja was superior!

I praise Torrevieja hospital and am bracing myself for the mountain of messages but I stand my ground... too many people make sure everyone knows of bad service, but not enough people praise the good services they get.

Comentario

Absolute nonesense! As I expanded apon in another thread, I was in Torre's new hospital for several weeks, having three operations. The nurses did everything for me, from combing hair to washing etc. No one at any point implied/asked my partner to stay and care for my personal needs. My own room and bathroom, and everything spotlessly clean. Better than my brief stay in a private hospital a few years previously.

Don't cast aspertions if you have not 'been there and done that'!

Comentario

I know, from very bitter experience, the the NHS is NOTHING.

I would never be admitted to an NHS hospital. I would rather die on the steps. It will probably be cleaner than the inside.

The Spanish medical system is about a million times better.

If you think otherwise, fine, I speak from experience.

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por Placebo Ver Mensaje

One of the important lessons I learnt working in the NHS for 15 years when in meetings is don't participate unless you have something of value to contribute!Too many people fire off when a)they are unaware of the facts or b)they state accusations based purely on hearsay. As I have contributed on other threads, hospitals in the Uk have a very long way to go to come anyway near the standards experienced in Spain, be it private or NHS. I was a manager for many years and was well aware of the scarey things that went on behind the scenes that you would not be aware of. Before I get the "damn NHS management" argument, let me assure you I worked
                                extremely hard at a high personal cost for the patients resulting ultimately in a 3week court case in the High court London. Many of the deceitful senior managers were forced to resign, and rightly so. Be thankful you have the opportunity to access facilities here with the knowledge that there is a strong possibility of receiving an infection such ad c diff or mrsa.
                                Editado por última vez por Brindleboy123; https://torrevieja.com/forums/member/2641-brindleboy123 en , 23:05:24.

Comentario

Trabajando...
                                X