X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• Sorry...Todays SKY event!!!

Broadband Costa Blanca Sl
    Post subject: How the Police see the supply of Sky cards in Spain..
    PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:01 am

I was summoned to the Guardia Civil in Torrevieja for an interview with the Judicial Police. I was told in no uncertain terms that if we continued to supply Sky viewing cards then they would close us down,before you all start saying that Sky cards being used in Spain is not illegal etc,they dont see it that way ! My views on the legality fell on deaf ears,they are adamant "continue to supply Sky viewing cards and we will close you down" I have to comply and as such will not be supplying any more Sky viewing cards.

Originalmente publicado por Mikea Ver Mensaje
    Broadband Costa Blanca Sl
    Post subject: How the Police see the supply of Sky cards in Spain..
    PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:01 am

I was summoned to the Guardia Civil in Torrevieja for an interview with the Judicial Police. I was told in no uncertain terms that if we continued to supply Sky viewing cards then they would close us down,before you all start saying that Sky cards being used in Spain is not illegal etc,they dont see it that way ! My views on the legality fell on deaf ears,they are adamant "continue to supply Sky viewing cards and we will close you down" I have to comply and as such will not be supplying any more Sky viewing cards.
    I do not understand how you think it is legal, we have had many statements printed in the press from Sky direct saying that they only authorise sky cards to be used in the UK and Ireland, anything else is illegal. Check with sky direct!!!

Comentario

Sorry Christine, this was simply cut and pasted from another forum this morning and relates to a supplier (not me) whom 'formerly' sold these cards...

Anyhow, I agree with what you say...

Comentario

Hopefully an admin will close this thread now. before it grows to yet another megathread debating wether sky is legal or not..

Comentario

sky

Originalmente publicado por Nalle Ver Mensaje
          Hopefully an admin will close this thread now. before it grows to yet another megathread debating wether sky is legal or not..
          I can appreciate why you want to see the T.V thread closed, but a forum item is only as good as those who particiapte and show interest, it is not necessary to join in

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por Christine Ver Mensaje
            I do not understand how you think it is legal, we have had many statements printed in the press from Sky direct saying that they only authorise sky cards to be used in the UK and Ireland, anything else is illegal. Check with sky direct!!!
            There is a slight mis-understanding here.

Stealing signal for re-broadcasting for profit is illegal. Technically, being a client is illegal because you are knowingly in receipt of stolen goods. This is all breaching the law of the land and is thus criminal and could lead to prosecution.

If you pay a subscription to Sky you are not stealing anything and it is not a criminal offence to watch in Spain. However, you are breaching the terms of contract with Sky, which you rightly quote them as saying. As such, the contract terms solely entitle them to cancel the contract. It is purely a commercial matter, and Sky could not have you prosecuted.

This is more than semantics. I would much prefer to be in breach of a commercial contract, where the worst that can happen is that you are just left with the free-to-air channels when you card is cancelled, than to be part of a criminal act.

Comentario

If you pay a subscription to Sky you are not stealing anything and it is not a criminal offence to watch in Spain. However, you are breaching the terms of contract with Sky, which you rightly quote them as saying. As such, the contract terms solely entitle them to cancel the contract. It is purely a commercial matter, and Sky could not have you prosecuted.
              I doubt that Sky would prosecute anyone anyway as they would be closing down revenue streams for no gain. If the Guardia have decided that something is illegal then for all intents and purposes it is illegal, regardless of anyone's interpretations of contracts, EU directives and so on. Good luck arguing the toss with the boys in green and gray, their sympathetic ear is legendary (although not in the positive sense).

Watching the TM Phoenix rise from the ashes (tongue firmly in cheek) gives a good indication of what the Guardia seem to think is OK, and the 'do or die' line taken with the Sky card providers simply reinforces that. I wonder how far they will take things - will we see bars being 'requested' to remove Sky channels on show?

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por jimlafinca Ver Mensaje
                I doubt that Sky would prosecute anyone anyway as they would be closing down revenue streams for no gain. If the Guardia have decided that something is illegal then for all intents and purposes it is illegal, regardless of anyone's interpretations of contracts, EU directives and so on. Good luck arguing the toss with the boys in green and gray, their sympathetic ear is legendary (although not in the positive sense).

Watching the TM Phoenix rise from the ashes (tongue firmly in cheek) gives a good indication of what the Guardia seem to think is OK, and the 'do or die' line taken with the Sky card providers simply reinforces that. I wonder how far they will take things - will we see bars being 'requested' to remove Sky channels on show?
                Again, this is a mis-quote of what I said. The Sky cards I am talking about are for personal use in the home. The Guardia will not be interested in that. But going round selling cards for profit, and bars using them in a business environment for profit is illegal, because there is no contractual basis and it is fraudulent.

Comentario

Could this happen ????

1. Close down or stop Telmicro and others on the Costa's redistributing Sky .
                  2. Stop installers selling Sky cards ( See "Norton's")
                  3. Stop Brit bars showing Sky .
                  4. A detector van driving around the urbanisations . If you are watching Sky, then your card is confiscated. Who pays for this ........Sky/Canal+
                  Maybe a fine for not having planning permission for the 1.9/2.4 m dish on the roof or in the garden.
                  Why , well if they can stop you watching Sky then you will pay monthly to watch Sky programmes on Canal+ when they start next year I am told !

Big business is very powerful ......do not underestimate them

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por tangobrian Ver Mensaje
                    Could this happen ????

1. Close down or stop Telmicro and others on the Costa's redistributing Sky .
                    2. Stop installers selling Sky cards ( See "Norton's")
                    3. Stop Brit bars showing Sky .
                    4. A detector van driving around the urbanisations . If you are watching Sky, then your card is confiscated. Who pays for this ........Sky/Canal+
                    Maybe a fine for not having planning permission for the 1.9/2.4 m dish on the roof or in the garden.
                    Why , well if they can stop you watching Sky then you will pay monthly to watch Sky programmes on Canal+ when they start next year I am told !

Big business is very powerful ......do not underestimate them
                    The point no 4. will not happen. But 1, 2 and 3, yes. But it could take YEARS!

Just don't spend to much money on something that is gone tomorrow.

Comentario

The local councils have a much reduced income lately because of the lost revenue from the housing crash.
                      I hear that local council officers are going around photographing flats and houses for no planning permission of extensions , double glazing of balconies ,
                      front wall and gate alterations etc.
                      Fines will bring in much needed cash !
                      A local police officer told me that they have a directive to issue fines rather cautions now for traffic violations (speeding,parking, paperwork not up todate, Brit plates over six months in spain etc) . A friend has just been fined 1500 euros for not having all his paperwork correct !!!!!!!
                      When they want MONEY anything can happen !
                      So maybe No 4 is not pie in the sky ( no pun intended )

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por tangobrian Ver Mensaje
                        The local councils have a much reduced income lately because of the lost revenue from the housing crash.
                        I hear that local council officers are going around photographing flats and houses for no planning permission of extensions , double glazing of balconies ,
                        front wall and gate alterations etc.
                        Fines will bring in much needed cash !
                        A local police officer told me that they have a directive to issue fines rather cautions now for traffic violations (speeding,parking, paperwork not up todate, Brit plates over six months in spain etc) . A friend has just been fined 1500 euros for not having all his paperwork correct !!!!!!!
                        When they want MONEY anything can happen !
                        So maybe No 4 is not pie in the sky ( no pun intended )
                        In short: Get involved in local politics!
                        I don't think there will be a Orihuela Costa Tea Party any time soon!

Comentario

Trabajando...
                        X