Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• Converting to a Spanish Driving license - help please

Hi, i'd like to hand in my UK license and convert it to a Spanish license, as I am resident here.

Is there anyone who can explain the process to me please ?

Many thanks...............

Originalmente publicado por englishbullterrier Ver Mensaje
    Hi, i'd like to hand in my UK license and convert it to a Spanish license, as I am resident here.

www.spainvia.com/motoringinspain is a good site to look at. It's re Brian Deller's book about driving in Spain. If you go to the bottom of the page you can see every months article that he has written and updates to his book. I'm sure there is something in there about changing licences but not sure what month it comes under. It's worth a look anyway as it has lots of interesting facts about driving in Spain. I'm sure somebody will reply with the process you have to go through.

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por englishbullterrier Ver Mensaje

Go to trafico in Alicante and prepare yourself for some serious queuing.

It is actually very straight forward. You have to get a form and fill it in. (propably available on their web) Take original of your passport and copy, Certificate of your padron, your current valid driving license and copy, and i think 2 photographs. there is a fee involved, but I dont remember how much it is.

Another option is to go to any asesor and pay him 50 €(or whatever) and he will do it for you.

Might be worth the hassle

more info on Direcci�n General de Tr�fico (Spanish only)

Comentario

Driving Licence

Be warned it takes forever. My husband applied in Feb and is still waiting!!!!

Comentario

Spanish Driving Licence

@englishbullterrier

I have just renewed my licence for the 2nd time here. I have to do renew every 4 years due to diabetes.

It is the same procedure non the less.

I far as I am aware of the forms are not available for download of the DGT website, this is due to the fact they are duplicate in place.

As mentioned by the others, head into trafico at Alicante, and do take a paper,drink and something to eat.. I can be a wait.

Firstly, there has been no mention of the fact you need to see a medical professional to confirm your fitness to drive - basic eye exam and a computer test that is there to look at your hand/eye co ordination.

For the above is a little more complicated due to the medical condition, as I need to also get a cert. from my family doctor aswell. Maybe worth checking with you doctor if in doubt.

These are commonly referred to as ATS. There are several right across from the traffic dept. Cost is approx 45/55 Euros. Mine cost 48€.

At this stage you will need produce your ID/DNI (residencia etc..) and driving licence in what ever form.

There are 2 lines to que up in. One is for Information which is where you need to go to get the form to renew/exchange you licence.

The next line is for the cashier. From recollection you are looking at approx 20-25 euros. But take more just in case as you have to pay in cash there and then.

Simply hand over the documention and copies of, which will include you id/dni, driving licence,, photos (2 i think) up to date padron, passport, the 2 forms fully completed and medical ats form.

Once they are happy with what they have they will stamp the paperwork, take your cash and give you a ticket to wait for one of the guys n gals to process the exchange.

Once they are happy with everything they will take your licence from you, and the other documents they require to keep. They will give you a small card back with you details on. This is a temp. driving licence that is valid for 3 months from date of issue. It does take that long to complete the exchange as they need verification from the DVLA before they can issue a licence.

All being well you will receive your new spanish licence through the post. Mine was within 3 months. Will have to wait and see how long it takes this time???

Hope the above helps..

Mike

Comentario

I have been resident for a few years now and thought I should change my DL to a Spanish one, but when I asked my gestor (a few months ago) he told me that he could categorically assure me that I did not need to change from my UK licence.

Rob

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por Slobberchops Ver Mensaje
              I have been resident for a few years now and thought I should change my DL to a Spanish one, but when I asked my gestor (a few months ago) he told me that he could categorically assure me that I did not need to change from my UK licence.

Rob

Yes you are right, if you look at your licence it is a european driving licence (marked with the eu symbol, the circle of stars) although it has UK in the centre this is only to note the country of issue, it licences you to drive without any other permit in any eu country indefinately.
              I have checked on the DVLA web site and you dont even have to tell them if you move to another eu country (that seems strange to me, how would they contact you if needed).

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por bombero Ver Mensaje
                Yes you are right, if you look at your licence it is a european driving licence (marked with the eu symbol, the circle of stars) although it has UK in the centre this is only to note the country of issue, it licences you to drive without any other permit in any eu country indefinately.
                I have checked on the DVLA web site and you dont even have to tell them if you move to another eu country (that seems strange to me, how would they contact you if needed).
                We registered ours with Traffico at Alicante and gave them our address in Spain.
                They kept our original licence to do whatever they do with it? and gave us a receipt to show the police if we did get stopped by them. We then received our original drivers licence in the post about 4 months later which was a little worrying as the receipt they gave us only last 3 months, but anyway it eventually arrived. We had to pay for this but it was only about 6-7 euros.

Comentario

hola we changed ours with no trouble, we discovered that if you go to traffico at about 11.30. you do not end up queing for that long.

Comentario

I did mine in Cartagena in August. The office was close to deserted.
                    I handed over my UK licence, €18.40 and got a receipt based on the form I had filled in.

Less than 1 week later I received a card based 3 month licence. The medicals are only required when renewing your licence, not applying for the 1st time.

Comentario

just been having a look at their website,

where they say this
                      1. Printed application form, Available at Traficos offises and their website dgt.es
                      2. Proof of dentity and Residency:
                      a. National Identity Card or Passport: Original must be valid.
                      b. Residency authorisation and Cerificate of registration with the central registry for foreigners residece with the EU(Padron): Original must be valid.
                      3. EU Driving license: Original valid and photocopy
                      4. New photograp (duh, dont bring one from when you were 20 y.o) 1 original 32x25 mm
                      5. Photograph Voucher that you will be given from Trafico. properly filled in
                      6. Written statement that you havent been banned from driving.
                      7. Written statement that you dont have any other driving license, From Spain or any other EU country.

hope this helps

Comentario

Mine arrived in the post this morning. Having been told it could take up to 90 days (and was expecting more), it actually took about 20!

The moral to this story is to visit the traffico during August. There was no-one there.

Comentario

Trabajando...
                        X