Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• Orihuela Costa - no public services, no amenities and a dump

I know this forum is concerned with Torrevieja but I am unlucky enough to live in Orihuela Costa. What a mistake I made buying here many years ago.

I see in this week's Round Town News that a Spanish politician accused many British ex-pats of living in ghettoes, well I am one of them and I bought here in good faith from the Spanish.

My ghetto has streets that are not swept, kerbs overgrown with weeds and is crime ridden with break ins every other night and people living in fear.

There are an inadequate number of rubbish bins causing them to be permanently overflowing. Those that there are are broken and often without lids.

The last collection of green waste was a month ago today in this area and the piles of rotting branches and leaves is now stinking. Surprise, surprise - we now have a rat problem !

Outside my house is a manhole cover. When it rains, the lid comes off and raw sewerage runs down the street. A nearby pump house stinks all year round.

Play areas were installed but have become overgrown and vandalised and there are no parks or gardens to sit in anywhere.

I have tried to keep my bit of street clean. I have cut back the weeds that block the pavements and swept up after others that drive by the bins and eject their rubbish from their car windows (yes Spanish as well) but I am fed up of picking up shitty nappies, syringes and part eaten pizzas.

Many of the presidents of the various communities around here have done their best and been to the town hall but nothing has been achieved. As one said recently, you only bang your head against a brick wall so many times and after a while, when it really hurts, you give up.

We have all phoned and written, often in Spanish, to voice our complaints but nothing really achieved.

My urbanisation is one of the many which lies behind La Regia. Many of them are like ghost towns full of properties up for sale. A near neighbour who bought for 170,000 euro just sold up for 120,000 euro so keen was he to escape. I can't afford to do that.

So on I go, paying my taxes and bills, with every document in place, having thrown money at Telmicro with nothing to show for it and not able to afford a new TV system.

The Spanish Language classes at the town hall will not occur because the tutors have not been paid for last year, so stop ramming that down our throats Spanish politician telling us of integration into this dump.

I hope that some straying politician or newspaper reporter reads this. May it also serve as a warning to anyone who has allowed the sun to hit the top of their heads and who thinks that Spain is wonderful. Parts of it maybe but Orihuela Costa is a dump. It nowhere compares with where I was originally from and to where I can no longer afford to go.

I see You Tube has many films on it saying the same about Orihuela Costa. I agree with everything on those films.
    Editado por última vez por KC1; https://torrevieja.com/forums/member/2895-kc1 en , 10:00:57.

oc

I am sorry to hear of your predicament but have to say that we have lived here for nearly 5 years and are happy with how things have turned out. We all make mistakes in our lives and you have clearly made a big mistake by buying either off plan, without sufficient research or both.
    Some of the problems you detail are common to most places/countries, including getting the town hall to listen but of course it seems insurmountable in a foreign country. I often despair at the litter and graffiti that abound but when I go back to the UK it seems much the same and if you follow ''watchdog'' or similar tv programmes there is plenty wrong in the UK too, just depends where you live and a bit of luck sometimes.
    I hope things improve for you and when all else fails just look up at the sky, although maybe not today.

Comentario

OC

We are another family who have lived here for over 6 years in Orihuela Costa and cannot find any fault. Our bins are emptied every day, streets are cleaned regularly, green bins are everywhere. Local rates are very cheap. There are all the facilities you want, blue flag beaches right from Punta Prima to Mil Palmeras all very clean and beautiful blue sea. Many play and sports areas, Sports Centre being built. A vast array of well run commercial centres, a Social. centre for the over 60´s and very efficient police force and very little crime

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por grange Ver Mensaje
        We are another family who have lived here for over 6 years in Orihuela Costa and cannot find any fault. Our bins are emptied every day, streets are cleaned regularly, green bins are everywhere. Local rates are very cheap. There are all the facilities you want, blue flag beaches right from Punta Prima to Mil Palmeras all very clean and beautiful blue sea. Many play and sports areas, Sports Centre being built. A vast array of well run commercial centres, a Social. centre for the over 60´s and very efficient police force and very little crime

Are you an estate agent?

Comentario

Dear Estate Agent,

Our streets are never cleaned and lack waste facilities. I have the photographs to prove it.

Not interested in beaches. The ones around the British Isles put these here in the shade and we all know they scrape the sand over the sewerage here to cover it up and that back handing attained them their blue flags.

I don't want to spend all day in shopping centres which are full of crap. I don't have the money to fritter away in any case.

Please:

1. List the sports and play areas

2. Where is the Sports centre ?

3. Where is the social centre for the over 60's ?

4. What is a police force ? never see them and people have been turned away when reporting crime at the Civial Guard even when attending with an interpreter because the GC say they are 'too busy'. Anyway, it doesn't matter whether the crime is reported or not - nothing ever happens

5. Our area has had dozens of house break ins in the past month, fencing ripped down to make hooks to attach to poles for 'fishing' from open windows etc.

Get real, OC is a shit hole of the first order, unless of course you come here from an inner city and know no different.

I am thinking about taking up an old hobby - photography - and to start evidencing things on a public website. Don't have much knowledge of the internet though. Anyone know of an easy to upload photographs site ?
          I think the time has come to show people OC for what it is.

Is it possible to place photographs on this forum and if so, perhaps someone could kindly explain how to do it.

Comentario

Read the Blogs

Originalmente publicado por KC1 Ver Mensaje
            I know this forum is concerned with Torrevieja but I am unlucky enough to live in Orihuela Costa.

I hope that some straying politician or newspaper reporter reads this.

This post will probably be deleted by the Moderators but here goes.....

May I suggest that you read the following two Blogs;

Clean up the Costa.

If you want to see & help us all get a cleaner Orihuela Costa then join in with the campaign.

Los Verdes in Orihuela Costa

If you have specific problems then take the opportunity to talk to us and our Councillor for the coast; see the reference to the next surgery on the Blog.

Talk to us, there are contact details on the Blogs.

Elliot Sampford,
            English Spokesman - Orihuela Costa Working Group,
            Los Verdes de Orihuela

Comentario

This may or may not work. I am no computer whiz kid. I have set up an on line photograph album and intend to place all my photographs on it showing the truth about Orihuela Costa.

It should be here:

Photo Sharing by MyPhotoAlbum.com :: MyPhotoAlbum :: Orihuela Costa, Alicante Province, Valencian Community, Spain

This set of pictures show a pile of rotting green waste that has been in situ for one month tomorrow, a broken rubbish bin which allows access to rats and which has been reported to the town hall using the approved paperwork and just one untended kerb. These are the start of my pictures and I intend to add many more !

Comentario

If the streets are cleaned regularly why is there a need for the Clean up the Costa campaign. In one hour on Thursday 16th October 70 volunteers picked up enough litter to fill 140 bags of litter from Calle Niagara (see the topic on this forum "Clean up the Costa" or read the local papers this coming week).

The play and sports areas are not maintained by the Council. The areas are either covered by litter or dog excrement or both, if there are any litter bins they are either broken or unemptied or both. Who wants their children to play there?

What about La Zenia beach that doesn't have a Blue Flag, but it does have sewage on occassions?

Why is there only a Civic Centre for the over 60s. What about the rest of the Residents of the area? A public facility should be for all ages!

Perhaps you live in a different Orihuela Costa to most of us!

Elliot Sampford
                Editado por última vez por Ellsam; https://torrevieja.com/forums/member/2092-ellsam en , 13:34:14.

Comentario

Well said Ellsam ! I was a member of the Scottish Green Party and although I determined never to play an active part in politics again, I concur with everything you have said. I do not take part in any organised campaigns but along with others, pick up and clean up wherever and whenever I can.

I hope you can access my photograph album and that you will watch it grow.

Please feel free to help yourself to any of the photographs within it to use as you wish which are taken by me but over which I claim no copyright.

Photo Sharing by MyPhotoAlbum.com :: MyPhotoAlbum :: Orihuela Costa, Alicante Province, Valencian Community, Spain
                  Editado por última vez por KC1; https://torrevieja.com/forums/member/2895-kc1 en , 13:47:00.

Comentario

Here we go again, no I am not an estate agent just a normal human being living here after moving from the UK and doing some homework over 6 years ago.

We and many of our neighbours do not know the Orihuela Costa some of the moaners live in. We have never had any problems and find life here very enjoyable. We are not political animals who seem to thrive on picking out issues to satisfy there own grumbles and look for publicity. That goes on everywhere.
                    If you live here and get involved you will know where all the facilities are, that I have mention in a previous post, are located.

Many improvements are taking place and just look at the latest info released by the Town Hall

Don´t look at the garbage posted on You Tube etc.

The Clean up Campaign is brilliant and clearly is going to remove some of the eyesores left by unscrupulous developers and agents.

'Clean up the Costa'

So lets promote the Costa and not rubbish it there are far worse places in the world you can live.

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por KC1 Ver Mensaje
                      Well said Ellsam ! I was a member of the Scottish Green Party and although I determined never to play an active part in politics again, I concur with everything you have said. I do not take part in any organised campaigns but along with others, pick up and clean up wherever and whenever I can.

I hope you can access my photograph album and that you will watch it grow.

Please feel free to help yourself to any of the photographs within it to use as you wish which are taken by me but over which I claim no copyright.

KC1 - Talk to us, either at the next surgery or email me at any of the addresses on the Blogs.

Elliot Sampford

Comentario

Don't let my growing album of photographs convince you Grange. I have lived here since 1999 so please stop quoting your six year anniversary as though it is of some significance.

This area is a tip and the photographs prove it. I shall be adding more in the coming weeks. Enjoy and keep living in denial if you want.

Comentario

Ah well its much better and healthier to enjoy our life on the Costa, than worrying about it. I am not in denial but giving my true version of the area where we live.

Comentario

Just looked at photos there now, get a life, you find things like this all round the world.

Comentario

oc

We have garden waste put next to the bins, sometimes a little sometimes a lot but it's never there more than a couple of days, the remainder of the mess is caused by people who can't be bothered to dispose of their rubbish properly.
                              Sewage is a different matter and is of course serious but again it's not something we've ever had a problem with, lucky I guess.
                              I know a family who are always complaining about a neighbors dog to the extent that they've become paranoid about it and are forever bemoaning their lot for living where they do, speak to others around them (various nationalities) and the dog isn't a problem?
                              Sewage aside I just wonder if perhaps you are also letting it get to you and getting a bit hot under the collar over it.
                              No offence intended.

Comentario

Trabajando...
                              X