Thread: Translating

Default Translating

Hi

I have found a great website that will translate from English to Spanish and vice versa for free and it is very quick.

www.freetranslation.com

I used it to translate a lease and it was fantastic.

Amanda

Babel fish is also not bad. I think all must be used with great reservations though as they mangle the languages they translate into. Many also translate place names and family names which makes for some very odd reading. The biggest danger is to those who don´t know enough Spanish to check out the translation and put a letter into that language then send it off. Must have whoever gets it in stitches!

Hi,
    I agree with beastess,I have used the freetranslation .com a couple of times. When my son went over last month, I sent him on a couple of errands ,his Spanish is not very good and I was in a rush so I used the site for a couple of letters .Luckily I noticed a couple of mistakes before I gave them to my son. I tried again but came to the conclusion ,A it is an American site and probably more use to south American Spanish.Also from experience with some American friends English is English and not American.
    archiebake

As a linguist I DETEST translation software. If you have used it to translate a legal document I would be especially careful. Whilst you might get the flow of the original NO, NO, NO transaltion software will give you an accurate translation of a legal document. As an example, let's see how this is - translated INTO Spanish and then back INTO English.

Cuando un lingüista yo DETESTO software de traducción. Si usted lo ha utilizado para traducir un documento legal que sería especialmente cuidadoso. Mientras usted quizás obtenga el flujo de la original no, no, ningún software de transaltion le dará una traducción exacta de un documento legal. Cuando un ejemplo, permítanos la mirada lo que esto es - tradujo A español y entonces espalda al inglés.

and back to

When a linguist I DETEST software of translation. If you has utilized it to translate a legal document that would be especially careful. While you perhaps obtain the flow of the original one not, not, no software of transaltion will give him an exact translation of a legal document. When an example, permit us the look what this is - translated Spaniard and then back al English

Let's try a couple of important legal terms:

memoria de calidades - memory of qualities

(I could have guaranteed that this vital phrase would be wrong)

Q.E.D.

Steve

PS Even translation.net says "Machine translation cannot replace a human translator for demanding applications such as legal or literary work, nor is it intended to. "

Hi,
    Steve I quite agree I would not dream of using this type of software for anything legal.
    After my own short experience with this software I will find the time to do it myself in future.,
    I was just interested to see how useful it was or was not.
    archiebake

Hi folks,

Sorry for providing bad information.

Amanda

Hi Amanda,
    No need to say sorry, thanks for the input ,it is what a forum is all about to learn from each others experiences.For you the site worked.
    archiebake

Hi Amanda. Sorry if I seemed abrasive and as I say it MIGHT help to get the flow. "Probably" better than nothing!

Amanda - it wasn´t bad information. These sites are helpful for getting some sort of quick translation - they just need to be used with caution! No-one has yet invented the computer that can translate as well as a human linguist.

Forgive me if I am wrong before the Forum was changed did we not have a translation spot. I am sure I have seen it somewhere.

OneDay

Marcadores