Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• Caterpillars

Just wanted to remind those of you with pets that the caterpillars are on the march. Me and my hubby foster a little dog for APAH and although we have been looking out for them, our little Henry managed to encounter one yesterday afternoon. He was seen by a vet within the hour, but the outcome is still touch and go. His mouth has swollen awfully and his tongue is huge and hanging out his mouth and weeping blood. We've been up watching him all night and he's feeling and looking really sorry for himself.
    we'll be back to the vets as soon as they open.

I'd hate to see another dog go through this, so please be careful.

How awful for poor little Henry I do hope he will be alright, you must be out of your mind with worry. I am paranoid about the things because you just don't know where they are going to be, someone said they saw them walking on a pavement in Quesada not even near grassland. Could you please let us know where it was when he encountered one as it will be somewhere else we all should avoid. And also could you let us know Henry's progress.
    Thanks.

Comentario

We live in Villa Martin, in the Pau 8 area, we were walking along the off street walk ways. We are constantly on the look out for the caterpillars, but obviously missed them.

Henry is now in the Guardamar Hospital on a drip and were hoping he will pull through. The vet there said he will almost certainly loose some of his tongue and worse that can happen is he may die, but that only happens in about 1 dog in 100. So we can only hope for the best.

Comentario

How is Henry now?

Comentario

Henry is feeling much better. He will be in hospital for another couple of days. This morning the vet is going to sedate him so she can take a look inside his mouth and give his tongue a clean. She will then be able to tell how much of his tongue he may loose. We will go and visit him later once the sedative has worn off.
          Thanks for asking after him.

Comentario

I hope Henry will be ok... there are loads of caterpillers in my area Dream Hills II, I have found quite a lot on my property, the best way to get rid of them is to spray them with hairspray, then lighter fuel and BBQ them. But its a nightmare as I have 2 dogs so have to keep going out doing spot checks before I let them out.

Comentario

Do hope that Henry is feeling a lot better and doesn't need anything more done than a clean up. Are the caterpillars about all year as we come out twice or three times a year with our dog and haven't seen any yet...so if only at certain times will certainly avoid!

Comentario

Gail, The Caterpillars are a danger to dogs while they are on the move on the ground, this happens from around Feb & March. In humans they cause an itchy rash. When I picked Henry up to take him to the vets initially he rested his head on my shoulder his saliva got on my neck and within minutes I came up in a rash.

I found this website that explains thier life cycle well.

The pine processionary caterpillar and its life cycle

Julia

Comentario

Thanks for that we haven't been out before late April before so thankfully have missed them - but it must be a real worry for you living out there all year.

Comentario

Trabajando...
                  X