Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• Graffiti Worse Than Ever!

Back in Torrevieja over Easter I couldn't help noticing how much worse the graffiti problem has become. Very few areas are free of it, walls, traffic signs, even along the town's main street Ramon Gallud. I am not talking here about "creative" graffiti with some claim of artistic merit but of mindless illiterate scrawls defacing walls all over the town and surroundings. Can anything be done about this? Does the Town Hall take action or do the police try to catch and prosecute the offenders? I understand the general percieved wisdom on graffiti is that it never goes away of its own accord and that a piece of graffiti un-removed encourages more minless graffiti until an area acquires the semblance of lawlessness - encouraging a generalised disregard for law and order.

Grafitti Rats

I agree that this is becoming a worsening trend that is degrading to the streets of Torrevieja.

Remember this was the same in the UK back in the mid 70's to early 80's and a strong approach was taken in partnership by local authorities, police and the communities across the country.

It became an offence for any retail outlet to sell paints to anyone under 16 and the police began to photograph graffiti and treat it as a crime scene. They built up signature trade marks in the works of the offenders and then when an offender got caught by CCTV or a vigilant member of the public, all offences were charged and the courts took positive action. The UK Graffiti offenders now can only operate in railway sidings like rats!

There must be some local authority partnership workers, neighbourhood watch and police who could strike up action plans with retailers, schools and the courts to begin the fight in Torrevieja against Graffiti Rats?

Meanwhile some entrepreneur could get a small van with a pressure washer, some chemicals and some paints to mix and provide a rapid response to graffiti removal. When offenders get caught they too could be made to clean the mess from public view?

Comentario

I totally agree. For me, the town of Torrevieja is a disappointment. When we first started coming to the area in 2002, an estate agent told us that the Town Hall was about to instigate a clean up! Wishful thinking and an untruth as it turned out. Gradually, the problem has become worse.
      It was because of the graffiti in Torrevieja that we eventually bought a place in Guardamar which, at the time, had none of this offensive scrawl at all. However, sadly, the town now has a problem with it and I believe local youths are the offenders. Parts of the town are now awash with this mindless vandalism.
      The local police seem to ignore the problem, as well as the local politicians. Meanwhile, I watch street cleaners sweeping up a single piece of litter using a flimsy brush that I wouldn't employ in my kitchen. Misguided or what? I don't want to moan because I love Guardamar but I am puzzled why the local people just seem to accept it. Don't they realise it makes the town unattractive?

Comentario

We Can Make a Difference!!

We need to get the local authority more involved! The Police and the Chamber of Commerce!

TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE CHANGES!

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por juande Ver Mensaje
          I am puzzled why the local people just seem to accept it. Don't they realise it makes the town unattractive?
          What makes you think they accept it? I don't like it because as you say, it's unattractive but if I did see somebody doing it, I probably wouldn't go up to them and tell them to stop as you never know what the consequences would be. I would just go home and call the police. I'm not normally a coward but in this day and age is it worth it?

Comentario

No, you're right. I wouldn't challenge anyone for the reasons you state. But the real mystery is I never see anyone doing it. It must be done in the small hours. As I walk around Guardamar I see the same 'tags', so I assume it's the same people committing the offence. I have noticed that whenever a new building appears it is immediately 'christened' with scrawl. Anything from utility cabinets to blocks of flats.
            When I said 'local people', I really meant the law enforcers and politicians. The local police do not appear to do much to me. They allow people to park wherever they want (crossings etc) for months and then have a crackdown which lasts for a day. Then they go back to driving around the town in their Peugeot 307s!
            I also think, however, that Spain is not the only country with a graffiti problem. Rome is horrendous, not to mention London. I was in the Dutch town of Leiden, a lovely old university town, and the whole of the High Street was covered in scrawl. In some parts of the UK business are paying a fee (forget what it is called) which goes towards cleaning buildings that have been attacked. Reading was one of the first towns to adopt this measure. In Winchester a youth was arrested and charged with criminal damage and in London some two years ago, a youth was given a custodial sentence for spraying an underground train parked in a depot.
            Now, I amy be completely wrong, but I do not feel that such measures are in place in Guardamar.

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por juande Ver Mensaje
              They allow people to park wherever they want (crossings etc)
              Unless it was you or me! I don't know how they get away with it, you see things happening and police cars just merrily drive past. Some of the graffiti is very artistic but on saying that I wouldn't want it on my wall or anywhere near my house, it seems to cheapen the look of the place I think. They have had it done on the wall of a new school by Los Arcos in Torre, it's horrible. I'd like to shoot the little b@@@@ards.

Comentario

Grafitti Rats

How about this Richard Knight fellow we here so much about? An ex British Bobby who worked with the Torrevieja Local Authority. They have apparently spent cash taking Local Cops to Kent to experience the "British Approach"

More CCTV, More Focussed Police Response and Quick Clear ups is the only answer but must be done alongside education for the towns’ youths and the retailers who sell the tools of the trade!

Comentario

Trabajando...
                X