Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• Online UK Lottery Tickets Invalid in Spain

National Lottery operator Camelot has been criticised for allowing people to buy tickets online while abroad despite them being unable to win any money.

In countries including Spain and the US it is illegal for Britons to play the UK lottery, making their tickets void.

But Camelot's website does not stop them buying tickets and consumer body Which? said the rules were not clear.

Camelot said it does warn people who buy online, but cannot provide a list of countries where playing is banned.

The National Lottery website can be accessed from anywhere in the world, but in much of Europe, for example, local laws bar people from taking part in foreign lottery draws while on holiday there.

Tickets void

One Briton, Chris Jones, from Tyne and Wear, told the website thisismoney.co.uk that he lost out on more than £5,000 in prize money after buying a National Lottery ticket online while in Majorca.

"What annoys me is that they still accepted my money," he said.

Stephen McGlade, from Which?, said Camelot must do more to prevent such situations occurring.

“ What we want to do is make sure that people who are entitled to play, can play, and those that shouldn't be playing, don't play ”
    Rob Dwight, Camelot
    "What we'd like Camelot to do is to invest more in the website so it makes it clear to people playing the lottery abroad that it is void with tickets if they purchased them abroad," he told the BBC.

"Secondly, there should be measures in place so that if I am in Spain and I play the lottery, I'm barred from doing so."

Camelot said it sent warning e-mails to its online players several times a year explaining the situation.

Its website also warns that any ticket bought in a country where playing the lottery online is banned will not be valid, but Camelot said it would be impossible to provide a complete list of countries as local laws changed on a regular basis.

'Technology evolving'

Spokesman Rob Dwight said: "We've looked at a range of software options over the years and have actually tested them out and we will continue to do so.

"Obviously, the technology in this area is constantly evolving. What we want to do is make sure that people who are entitled to play can play, and those that shouldn't be playing don't play."

Tom Ilube, from online identity experts Garlik, said the system could be easily changed with just a few days work.

"Camelot could set up their site so that if, say, you were logging in from Spain, it would put up a warning sign saying: 'You appear to be logging in from this territory, you're not supposed to be using it from here. If you're not, please press continue and carry on,'" he said.

“ We would advise players to assume that it is unlawful to purchase a ticket whilst abroad, and to only buy their tickets whilst located in the UK or Isle of Man ”
    National Lottery website
    On the National Lottery website, Camelot warns that any tickets bought in the US or "any other jurisdiction in which it is unlawful to play the Games" will not be valid for any prize claims.

Its "frequently asked questions" section states: "In countries outside of the UK and Isle of Man, local laws often prevent the sale or purchase of tickets for any overseas lottery.

"To protect players and the UK National Lottery, the National Lottery rules and terms and conditions prohibit people from playing online in any country where it is unlawful to do so.

"Lawfulness will vary from country to country and, possibly, from time to time. This also means that, under local laws and National Lottery rules, we would not be able to pay out any prize in these circumstances."

It adds: "Therefore, we would advise players to assume that it is unlawful to purchase a ticket whilst abroad, and to only buy their tickets whilst located in the UK or Isle of Man."

Country-specific laws also apply to the EuroMillions draw even though it is a continent-wide lottery.

Each country has a separate EuroMillions operator, so it is illegal for a UK national to buy a Euromillions ticket in another country by using the Camelot-run website.

Anyone who accesses the main EuroMillions site is offered two options - "Buy tickets outside the UK" and "Buy tickets from the UK".

It must be a slow news day in England.

This news was in the local Costa Blanca papers and on local radio stations about three months ago.

It would have been more useful to holidaymakers if BBC and Sky had aired this news then.
    The holidaymakers would have then seen it before their holidays. Now, the people who are most at risk are already in Spain and probably won't even see an English news programme.
    So they will happily be buying on-line with no chance of winning.

Well done BBC and Sky, too little, too late.

Comentario

Why not?

If they are stupid enough to buy without checking the restrictions, why shouldn't they? After all they live in Spain so they should be used to being ripped off.

Comentario

I suppose it's legal to go into a shop and buy a Euromillions over the counter - that's what I've done on occasions?
        Tim

Comentario

EURO millions, bit of a clue there.

Originalmente publicado por Tim Ver Mensaje
          I suppose it's legal to go into a shop and buy a Euromillions over the counter - that's what I've done on occasions?
          Tim

Comentario

Exactly Chrisdee you can buy as many euromillion tickets as you want it will be paid out in euros to a spanish address if you buy here you claim here what could be more simple
            Have a look at the national lottery website the rules are there for all to see

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por Chrisdee Ver Mensaje
              EURO millions, bit of a clue there.
              Taken from initial posting -

"Country-specific laws also apply to the EuroMillions draw even though it is a continent-wide lottery."

This is the comment that made me wonder! Smartypants.

Tim

Comentario

Bit touchy eh!

Comentario

Trabajando...
                X