X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• Entertainment ONLY?

ENTERTAINMENT ONLY

Surely it is time for a forum or thread dedicated to southern Costa Blanca entertainment news and views? We desperately need an on-line facility to find out who is on; where and when.

I sympathise with Torrevieja’s David Whitney of The Actors’ Studio. His letter in this week’s Leader says it all. He and his troupe of gifted performers are frustrated by the local Press glass ceiling when it comes to getting or not getting local publicity.

Again, the CBN (southern edition) is dominated by northern CB events. A girls’ group has been in the CBN and The Post for four weeks; same picture and script whilst others never get a look in. Northerners Dougie Munro and Palma Concerts (good luck to you, lads) are in every week without fail. Other good entertainers are snubbed.

No wonder there’s a massive advertisers’ migration from hard copy to online advertising. The hard copy Press simply cannot match the 24/7 update-access and space provided by the online Forums. When I publish stuff on here the readership is bigger.

The southern Costa Blanca boasts the most amazing talent. They deserve the oxygen of publicity. The region’s hard-pressed venues also need an efficient online shop window to promote their acts. How about it? What do you think?

I couldn't agree more Mike.
    The hard copy press are only interested in their advertising revenue, try and get anything published that might offend one of their advertisers and you have two chances: no chance and a snowball's chance!
    The southern Costa Blanca has long been ignored by the CBN who have different regional editions with strangely similar advertising.

Comentario

Thanks, Warrior. Many share the same view. I have not long returned from a business breakfast at which this issue was raised. This is why I am firing on all cylinders, to create an online alternative that will do the job the local Press should be doing. Pushing for an online forum dedicated to Southern Costa Entertainment.

This would tick three boxes. 1. Showcase local talent. 2. Give venues an opportunity to look and book. 3. Provide the public with up to the minute information on what is on and where it is on.

Newspaper (accountant) proprietors forget that people pick up and read newspapers for their editorial content; interesting reports, controversial or thought provoking columnists; the challenging subjects. They do not pick up newspapers to read the advertisements. They have effectively put the cart before the horse. No wonder they are losing out to the future - online.

Comentario

dedicated web site

PDQ-LIVE We have done it ourselves, but there is room for a dedicated web site to musicians, actors, and entertainment in general where you could post details for free.

Comentario

Yes, I just checked it out and fine. Well done on your initiative; youtube too! As you say there should be a website dedicated to musicians; an opportunity for venue manager and customers to use: a sort of online Yellow Pages for Entertainment and Related subjects. Cheers.

Comentario

Yes, I just checked it out and fine. Well done on your initiative; youtube too! As said there should be a website dedicated to musicians; an opportunity for venue managers and customers to use: a sort of online Yellow Pages for Entertainment and Related subjects. Cheers.

Comentario

Hi Mike,

There are Four main issues involved with publicizing events on the Southern Costa Blanca or elsewhere:
              1. Time
              2. Money
              3. Content
              4. WITFM

Time:
              • It takes more time than one might think to run an entertainment based web site
              • It needs to be updated daily
              • it needs to be double checked

Money
              • Somehow, through advertising, sponsorship, etc the person doing the updates, needs to be paid for their time, unless it is a labour of love
              • The web site also has running costs, domain name, hosting, space, etc, etc, plus a computer to run and store the web site on.
              • The root of all evil maybe but it needs to be paid for somehow!

Content
              It's much harder than one might think to find content.
              I have tried to do a listing site with Costa Blanca TV
              When I managed Costa Blanca FM we also offered free listings
              Free means free!
              However, only four acts took up the offer of advertising their sites on Costa Blanca TV for free!
              It will be something that we shall offer again in the New Year, time permitting.

The Acts
              The acts themselves are much to blame
              Most artists here do NOT have their own web site
              Most of those that do are lazy to keep updating their own sites on a regular basis
              running their own site can be seen as a conflict of interest as to what their management, agent or booking company does
              Most acts do not have decent photos nor showcase videos - a video that is actually produced - to show (case) their talents.

The Pubs
              Most pubs do not have their own web sites
              those that do do not keep them updated (there are a few notable exceptions to this rule)

Radio - Newspapers - Local TV
              Some of these are already tied to whom they shall advertise or carry copy from
              RTN work with Elite Entertainment so one sees little of another artists work unless they are part of Pat's stable. Nothing wrong with that. Just the way it is.
              The same can be said for other companies depending on whom is spending the advertising dollars that week!

Charity Events
              Most of the info about these events comes out of the Town Hall
              With a few notible exceptions, very few are good at the press release and constant updates required

Spanish Bands and Pubs
              The Spanish are much better at getting the word out - but only if you know where to look.
              I can often find out more information about events by looking in the Spanish press - or even if you flip over to the Spanish part of Torrevieja.com

Thus, the most difficult thing to find is the content and yet, this is exactly what drives the site.
              If the acts, the management, the venues, etc do not want to publicize themselves, then what hope has a webmaster in trying to search all over the place to find the required content!

WIIFM - What's In It For Me?
              If one was to run and manage such an entertainment site, what would one receive in return?
              • Money: Advertising revenue - maybe to buy a few drinks and pay for the site, but not to make a living from!
              • The chance to watch lots of artists perform!
              • An excuse to get out and about (spending money on petrol and drinks to do so)!

So, WIITF - personally, not a lot except for grief from 'her indoors', if it's not paying some sort of wage

The Wrap.
              Three years ago we looked at starting an Entertainment and Lifestyle weekly for the Southern Costa Blanca. I even have a couple of domain names to use for such a project and letters of introduction from the Torrevieja Town Hall to show to the Spanish Pub and Restaurant owners.

Any such site is driven by content

Unless the apathy (and I applaud the guys at PDQ, Abba Elite, Yankee Blues Brothers, etc) is overcome by the Artists themselves to produce their own sites, do their own updates, and the pubs follow suit, I can't see it happening.

The RTN tried Freetime - failed miserably
              CoastRider - their entertainment double page - seems to have whittled away but due for a new format
              Costa Blanca News - great if you live in Javea or Benidorm - Torrevieja - where?
              Euro Weekly News - press releases only at present but due for a new format
              The Leader - possibly carry more than most
              The Post - a foil for the CBN
              Think Spain - CB Friday - closed their doors

The opportunity is there.
              If someone has a few euros, is web savvy and time to throw at such at project, please get in touch and we'll chat!

If more than one of you wants to get together and build this, one needs:
              a sales person
              researcher
              writer
              I can provide the ideas for the web site and the photography, audio and video skills.
              plus cooperation from artists, venues, promoters and management

On the other hand, it would also be great if we had a section here on torrevieja.com to be able to send in what's on content.

Just IMHO

Cheers,

Keith

Comentario

I just wanted to add that I think that only the managemt/booking agents are really on the ball - then again WIIFM and at the end of the day, it is their livelyhood!

Pat at Elite has a gig guide
                and
                Stars in Bars Information. Costa Blanca Spain/

are making a good effort to promote their artists and since the web site is still under development, one can only wait to see how they progress.

So Kudos to these guys, and PDQ for having their gig guide, although I would be tempted to have this on the front page, to make it easier to find IMHO.

Cheers,

Keith

Comentario

Wow! Analysis doesn't come better than that, Keith. Well worth storing and ruminating on, which I will.

As an observation, which supports your own views, entertainers are the world's worst at selling themselves. Sadly matters are aggravated further by their profession being complementary to the venues they depend on; the restaurants and bars.

I couldn't believe that so few entertainers and venues have an e-mail address let alone display one in their advertisements. My take on the advantages of e-mail over telephone was widely publicised in the Press. It made not a scrap of difference. If you gave a bar owner a bike he would carry on walking.

As you say, few have web sites (The Abbey's in La Florida though is brilliant). Heck! Even school kids have their own blogs and websites; home-run businesses. Hobbyists. No names no pack drill but venues on the Costas spend a fortune on advertising - but won't spend a couple of hundred quid on a self-managed web site.

Don't get me going on this one: I assessed and trained businesses for over twenty years; taught them marketing techniques. Most businesses took it on board and benefited. I have yet to meet a bar owner who could take advice. They all know better ... as they balefully gaze across their empty tables. Oh well.

I like your last line, Keith: 'On the other hand ... ' As the saying goes, God helps those who help themselves. Entertainers! Helloooooo

Comentario

Mike,

case in point, regarding time and research for content, is that it took me over two hours to try and sort out what was happening over the Christmas period for a local newspaper.

Again, translating from Spanish content was the fastest way to find out official events while I would probably have been better getting into the car, or on my bike to try and find out what was happening (for sure) at some of the local theaters, pubs and restaurants.

It's almost like some of them what to keep it a secret, and just for those in the know!

Another case in point is that if one visits some of the other local forum sites, who have introduced a What's On section, most of them are hopelessly undersubscribed. Instead one shall find the posts somewhere else within the forum.

But they did try!

Comentario

Golfer .... and similar bands, choirs, singing ensembles

I have no problem waiving the copyright (lyrics) of The Torre-Vieja Song in cases where it is part of a live act, paid for or not. It would only be an issue if any claimed the words their own; recorded it for commercial reasons, or recorded it for gain without permission.

I am a realist. It is not going to gain commercial value until it has captured (hopefully) the hearts and minds of those who identify with our 'City of Harmony'.

Tip: Wherever it is being played the audience response is fantastic. I was recently congratulated by Graham Knight, Torrevieja's cultural 'attache' so it has been well received in the right places.

The TORRE – VIEJA Song
                      (To the Tune of the Beer Barrel Polka : Roll out the Barrel)

Torre – vieja,
                      Raise up our glasses to you;
                      Torre – vieja
                      We love you; we’ve never been blue;
                      Torre – vieja,
                      Your beaches, your plazas and palms –
                      Lift up your copa de cana,
                      Your sun; al fresco is mine.

You’re home to Herman, the German from Bonn,
                      And Ivan from Russia; the Don
                      Paddy, and Jasmine and Leif –
                      Julie, and José with wife.