No Smoking

Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

And you have respect for people who choose to smoke. If you dont like it stay out of bars where its allowed.

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por Jaycee 61 Ver Mensaje
      Clean air Hitlers has nothing to do with it. If you don`t give two monkeys about your health ( My father and uncle both died of lung cancer caused through smoking when they were in their late fifties ) and hygiene, then have some respect for people who do.
      It's all about FREEDOM OF CHOICE! If you let politicians erode all our freedoms where will it end ?
      If you don't like smoking stay away from smokers - it's simple - or is that too complex an idea for you.
      You can simply patronise non-smoking establishments - you know the ones, cold, quiet, empty Derby & Joan type places.
      If everyone stops smoking it's a loss to the UK exchequer of Ten Billion pounds plus per annum - it only costs five billion to treat smoking related illnesses - do you really want to make up the difference ?
      (I don't know the figures for Spain but I would imagine the income is higher)

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por Warrior Ver Mensaje
        It's all about FREEDOM OF CHOICE! If you let politicians erode all our freedoms where will it end ?
        If you don't like smoking stay away from smokers - it's simple - or is that too complex an idea for you.
        You can simply patronise non-smoking establishments - you know the ones, cold, quiet, empty Derby & Joan type places.
        If everyone stops smoking it's a loss to the UK exchequer of Ten Billion pounds plus per annum - it only costs five billion to treat smoking related illnesses - do you really want to make up the difference ?
        (I don't know the figures for Spain but I would imagine the income is higher)
        I can`t believe you said that !!! I do patronise non-smoking establishments and yes I agree some might not be as full as expected because of the economic climate, but they`re far from being `cold Derby and Joan `places. I`ve also patronised cold, quiet empty smoking establishments. My wife smokes you see.

Anyway from June all this will be purely academic.

Comentario

I can`t believe you said that !!! I do patronise non-smoking establishments and yes I agree some might not be as full as expected because of the economic climate, but they`re far from being `cold Derby and Joan `places. I`ve also patronised cold, quiet empty smoking establishments. My wife smokes you see.

Anyway from June all this will be purely academic.
          Oh! believe, believe............. Hallelujah!!!!
          The Spanish will ignore the ban as they have in the past, come June or whenever, they're not so easily pushed around as the apathetic law-fearing Brits.

Comentario

My wife smokes you see.
            Ahhhh. I hope you've got permission to unload all this vitriol on us poor smokers. LOL

Comentario

Don't you think (playing the devil's advocate) that the bars in the UK are closing down for reasons other than the ban on smoking: There is a recession and let's face it, times have changed. Pubs are no longer good value for money; not with the quality, choice and prices of drink in the supermarkets.

Pubs peaked when there was zilch entertainment in people homes; playing cards, ludo, snakes and ladders! Dire working lives. People needed to escape and to socially interact. Change has affected every industry. The pubs competed by getting TVs in but now there's a TV in every room in the house.
              Life depicted by the Rovers Return is well and truly fictional - now. (I think as it is years since I watched an episode)

Then along came the magical world of the internet; social intercourse online and a myriad of games and entertainment. A tough act to follow. Pubs got the internet pods in.

PS Sorry but this amused me: Having a smoking area in a pub is like having a peeing area in a swimming pool. Ouch!

Comentario

Smoking is, and always will be, an emotive issue. Warrior mentioned `freedom of choice`. You have none. You are addicted. Ask any drug addict. Nicotine is a drug that controls your life. How many times have you heard ` I want to pack up, but I can`t. ` Of course you can. Take control of your own life. I did.

When my father died prematurely 30 years ago I was a heavy smoker myself. It`s heartbreaking to watch someone deteriorate and die a painful death within the space of 4 months and relatively young too. I`ve never smoked since.

As I said. My wife smokes 30 a day. I`ve seen her light up 6, one after the other. She say`s she enjoys it. Fair comment, but as I`ve said to her many times ` How can you you enjoy something that controls you and will eventually kill you ` Her response is unprintable...LOL

Comentario

I used to smoke forty a day and of course I had all the arguments in favour too. Then in 1979 I stopped kidding myself. Stubbed the last one out and never smoked since.

It's a propaganda myth to say the the craving never leaves you. Bullshit; it was so liberating to feel fresh air getting to parts of my lungs previously denied. That's suffering? It was relief.

It is also a myth to say you put on weight - another excuse. I never put any weight on. As a matter of fact it trimmed me because I was better able to exercise.

I wrote an article on my way of handling it; this was well received. I hope it helped others. No, I am not anti. I just did it my way and I am so relieved that I did.

According to others I look 10 - 15 years younger than my actual age and my son who is twenty-seven (and smokes) has to tell me to slow down.

Comentario

We all know that smoking is bad for us………
                    But then so is drinking alcohol or even coffee, and eating red meat and eggs and any fried food, and chocolate and sugar and salt, and any number of other things that so-called experts chop & change their minds about on a daily basis.
                    Most food sold in the shops is full of E numbers, colouring and preservatives, which seem designed to not make the food last any longer but more to make sure it goes mouldy on the day after the sell-by date.
                    The Government has plans for us all to be eating genetically modified garbage in the years to come, what illnesses will that bring with it?
                    Even breathing the polluted crap we refer to as fresh air, is bad for us.
                    Let’s face it; Life is dangerous and none of us will live forever, so why not let those of us that want to smoke, get on with it. You really don’t have to come anywhere near us, we won’t be offended – Honest!!! Remember:
                    LIVING IS KILLING US!

Comentario

I wish I had a £1 for every time I`ve heard this justification to smoke. I`ll be a rich man now.

Of course anything taken in excess is bad for you, but you have to admit that smoking is not one of the things that `so called experts chop and change their minds about on a daily basis`.

I also agree that none of us will live forever. But why bring the inevitable even closer.

My wife is 58 years old. Our doctor has just told her that if continues to smoke at the same rate as she does now, it will shorten her life by 9 years. That`s not scaremongering...that`s fact. Her attitude is that it`s too late now. I would have thought that 9 years is a long time to a 58 year old. I can`t get my head round that one.

Comentario

I wish I had a £1 for every time I`ve heard this justification to smoke. I`ll be a rich man now.

Of course anything taken in excess is bad for you, but you have to admit that smoking is not one of the things that `so called experts chop and change their minds about on a daily basis`.
                        I don't have to justify smoking - it exists!
                        If governments were really concerned they'd ban the sale of tobacco, but then they'd have to raise taxes to replace the lost revenue. How many non-smokers would go for that?
                        Who said anything about taking things in excess - I'm talking about eating & drinking, and I've never heard of anyone killing someone with their car because they had one too many kingsize - though you probably have...........!!
                        All I started this thread for was to say that the present status quo, whereby we have freedom of choice to patronise either a smoking or non-smoking establishment seems to work OK. Why alter it by legislation? I was unprepared for an uprising of general anti-smoking bo**ocks.
                        Why do people think they have the God given right to ban other people's enjoyment, as I've said more than once before; If you don't like smoking stay away from where it's practised.
                        Surely it's not that difficult a concept to grasp!
                        Editado por última vez por Warrior; https://torrevieja.com/forums/member/2594-warrior en , 20:43:38.

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por Warrior Ver Mensaje
                          I don't have to justify smoking - it exists!
                          If governments were really concerned they'd ban the sale of tobacco, but then they'd have to raise taxes to replace the lost revenue. How many non-smokers would go for that?
                          Who said anything about taking things in excess - I'm talking about eating & drinking, and I've never heard of anyone killing someone with their car because they had one too many kingsize - though you probably have...........!!
                          All I started this thread for was to say that the present status quo, whereby we have freedom of choice to patronise either a smoking or non-smoking establishment seems to work OK. Why alter it by legislation? I was unprepared for an uprising of general anti-smoking bo**ocks.
                          Why do people think they have the God given right to ban other people's enjoyment, as I've said more than once before; If you don't like smoking stay away from where it's practised.
                          Surely it's not that difficult a concept to grasp!
                          With all due respect. If you open a debate on smoking you should be prepared to expect some controversy. I`ve always found that if someone is losing an argument, they will resort to personal abuse and obscene language. Adios.

Comentario

With all due respect. If you open a debate on smoking you should be prepared to expect some controversy. I`ve always found that if someone is losing an argument, they will resort to personal abuse and obscene language. Adios.
                            Personal abuse! What personal abuse?
                            You're very thin skinned for an ex-smoker.
                            Obscenity is in the mind of the beholder.
                            Losing an argument, I don't think so. I simply made a statement that I believe to be true; that our freedom of choice is being eroded by politicians regardless of the number of people it will throw into the street and into the unemployment queues.
                            There's room enough for everyone in this world.......................Adios!

Comentario

Back on Track.

This thread seems to have lost its way somewhat.
                              So just to recap: It was never intended to be an argument on the rights and wrongs of smoking, although the anti-smoking zealots, who always seem to be ex-smokers rather than those who have never smoked, jump on anything to do with smoking, they’re like religious converts, they’ve seen the light so they try to make damn sure everybody else does!
                              We know that smoking is an addiction, but so are a lot of things. You can easily become addicted to alcohol or food or sex or even speed, but no-one seems to be outlawing these addictions. Why don’t they put pictures of car crashes or people who’ve been beaten up or livers that have cirrhosis on bottles of whisky or vodka, perhaps that’s to come in the next round of freedom restrictions.
                              No, it was supposed to be a reasoned discussion on how our liberty and freedom of choice is slowly but surely being eroded by politicians. As the situation stands at the moment whereby we have restaurants and bars where you can smoke and we also have those where it is prohibited is surely more reasonable than a complete ban. We are told that this is for our own good??? But if politicians were really concerned with our health they would ban the sale of tobacco products altogether, wouldn’t they, and to hell with the lost revenue! (Oh yeah! Look there’s a flying pig!!!)
                              This proposed new law is undemocratic and unilateral as a large percentage of people in this country are smokers. They are being discriminated against and, I hesitate to mention ‘Human Rights’ as these have become more associated with criminals than ordinary folk, but what about my human rights? I will be banned from my local bar because I enjoy a smoke with my pint, whereas some obese, drunken, sex maniac in his souped up hot-rod will be welcomed with open arms.

THIS LAW IS NOT JUST – IT WILL BE IGNORED!

(I do hope that no-one will find this post too abusive or obscene...................)

Comentario

Proportion of smokers

Some interesting observations and statements. I particularly liked "
                                Why do people think they have the God given right to ban other people's enjoyment, as I've said more than once before"

Presumably that doesn't apply to sadists, murderers, paedophiles. etc?? or does it?

Just to inject some facts into the argument. In 2008 it was estimated that less than 22% of the UK were smokers - hardly the vast majority".

Comentario

Trabajando...
                                X